The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
damien1988

to camel or not to camel

just sitting here eating dinner thinking about the never ending hunt that is our lives.

then it truck me like a bolt of lightning--Camel hunting.

Just thought i would see what you think i am from Aus the land with the worlds largest wild camel population i think its about 1.4mill.

I was wondering what your thoughts on hunting cammels is ? and if you would what cal would u use on this mamoth beast ??

cheers damo
Old February 18, 2010, 05:27 AM   #2
wayne in boca

I personally have never been angry enough at a camel to wish to shoot one.That said,I would think a .30-06 should do the job nicely.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:40 AM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day damo. Did you hear that late last year there was a camel cull south of Alice. They were shooting them from choppers as well. I would be satisfied with 150gr out of my .270 . I have a .303 Martini-Enfield that should also do the job on them (once I fix it).
Old February 18, 2010, 06:20 AM   #4
10-96

Hunting camels would be OK if the dumb critters are smart enough to die. BUT what I would really love to get a chance at would be the Aus wild dogs, dingos (where ever they're from), hyenas, Aus hogs, and those annoying little poo flinging monkeys. And, I wish I had a chance to hunt some of those large lizzards in Kuwait.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:04 PM   #5
300magman

If its legal, tastes good next to the mashed potatoes..or is bothersome somehow, then I say hunt it!

As for camels...I think I'd use an anti take rifle, from what I've heard about them. lol

Seriously though, I can't remember if I heard it from some veterans about a decade ago or read it somewhere during school, but apparently camels were used in early (modern) desert warfare...much as horses and primitive trucks were at the time. And they were supposed to be the hardest of the 3 to stop, ... again I don't know this first hand, but the accounts I remember spoke of .303 caliber machine gun fire being very ineffectual.
Camels would get sprayed with fire and just keep going, sure they would eventually die, but they would go a long way before finally giving up and falling down, even with multiple hits.

Again I have no experience shooting camels, but if I were to suddenly need to dispatch one, knowing only what I've heard, I would start with something .338 caliber or above and a good controlled expansion bullet.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:19 PM   #6
N00b_Shooter

Hey all, just a little heads up, .30 caliber is the minimum for most northern territory animals by law and most people recommend a 300 win mag.

Quote:
BUT what I would really love to get a chance at would be the Aus wild dogs, dingos
Unfortunately, Dingos are a protected species so looks like you'll have to find something else to shoot :P
Old February 18, 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
80viking

Haven't you Aussie's see Quigley Down Under? The Buffalo herds were decimated from great distances with calibers like 45/70, 45/90, 45/110, and the 50/70. That would be like a prairie dog hunt on steroids.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
FreakGasolineFight

I would advise not Cameling. It's expensive and very bad for your lungs.

Old February 18, 2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Big Bill

I wonder why they don't use helicopters for roundups there like we do for mustangs here. Then they could be slaughtered and made into dogfood or sold to France for table meat.

BTW, I think a 30-06 or 308 would probably do the job. But, I would use a 300 wm or 300 wsm if I were you.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; February 18, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 18, 2010, 05:50 PM   #10
longranger

I think we are talking about an animal that is at least the size of an American Elk and 10 X tougher.300WSM,300 Win. Mag,7mm Mag. get my vote.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Avenger

I've been told they taste, and mind you that I'm quoting here, "Just like a six-day old dead Meth addicts armpit smells like."
Old February 18, 2010, 07:36 PM   #12
banditt007

I'm just guessing here....

i think anything in the .308 power range and up with a heavy for caliber for bullet with controlled expansion would work. prob best off with a broadside shot, they look pretty dense/heavy constructed and i think you would need a lot of horsepower for long raking shots. No matter how tough an animal if you put a nice hole through both lungs, its only a matter of time before they drop IMO.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:50 PM   #13
mtnman

300 rcm I hear they stopped making it too bad
Old February 18, 2010, 07:53 PM   #14
NWCP

As for caliber my .338 Win Mag would work, but the .308 would get my nod.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:56 PM   #15
brewman

N00b_Shooter

You say "Unfortunately, Dingos are a protected species so looks like you'll have to find something else to shoot"

No there actually not protected you just cant shoot them in a national park and need a control permit, well here in SA anyhow maybe it is different in NSW.

Bellow is from environment and heritage.
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/bio.../faunapermits/

Unprotected Animals
There are a few common native birds and mammals, which are unprotected and can be kept or sold without a permit. A hunting permit is required to take these animals from the wild. Permission to take unprotected animals from conservation parks and national parks will not generally be given. Persons require written permission from landowners to enter their land to take unprotected animals. Galahs and Little Corellas can only be taken by means of shooting.

Zebra Finch Poephila guttata
Little Corella Cacatua sanguinea
Red Wattlebird Anthochaera chrysoptera
Australian Raven Corvus coronoides
Galah Cacatua roseicapilla
Australian Crow Corvus orru cecilae
Little Raven Corvus mellori
Wild dog* (Dingo) Canis familiaris *Animal and Plant Control Permit required.
Little Crow Corvus bennetti
Grey-backed Silvereye Zosterops lateralis halmaturina
Budgerigar Melopsittacus undulatus

Mammals, birds and reptiles which are not native to Australia (ie exotic or introduced) are all unprotected. eg Feral Goat, Pig, Camel, Deer, Rabbit, Red Fox, Common Starling, Domestic Pigeon, European Blackbird, Spotted Turtle-Dove (Laceneck Dove).

Camels are not native so they can be hunted.
Yes I would hunt them, they are considered feral.
I would use my 375H&H although with good shot placement and a good projectile I think my 270Win would be ample to do the job as well.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:00 PM   #16
smee78

What about a Accuracy international .338 lapua magnum?
Old February 18, 2010, 09:39 PM   #17
damien1988

yeah i wa reeding a old shooting mag at work today and it sugest a .308 to the neck is the quickest way to kill a camel.

i was also reading about there ability to take hits from mutilpul rounds of 45/70 and remain standing. Me thinks i might go get me a bazoka or somethink akin. i think maybe a .50bmg would do the trick :P they are tought barstards ill give them that much

cheer damo
Old February 19, 2010, 12:22 AM   #18
N00b_Shooter

Hey brewman,

You might be right about hunting dingo, I'm not entirely sure, its just what i always got told from the guys from the NSW branch of the SSAA. I also never said that you couldn't hunt camel, i even stated the minimum caliber allowed by law for hunting them
Old February 19, 2010, 11:53 AM   #19
sc928porsche

Water baloons. any size. They will follow you home so then its just simple dressing and cooking.
Old February 19, 2010, 12:56 PM   #20
Daryl

Hunting camels wouldn't appeal to me.

Nothing against those who do it, mind you, and I can certainly understand their numbers needing to be controlled, but I'm not into hunting things that are commonly used as "beasts of burden".

Here we use horses, mules, and sometime burros. When they run wild, they can cause a lot of damage, and sometimes need to be controlled, but I'm not interested in doing it myself unless they're damaging my stuff. If I went to Africa, I'd not be interested in hunting zebra; too close to being a horse.

Yet I can understand the appeal they offer to others, and it's all about what you yourself are interested in pursuing (within legal guidelines, of course).

Now dingos? Oh yeah!

Daryl
Old February 19, 2010, 01:04 PM   #21
knoxville

Shooting camels and hunting them seems to me to be totally diff shooting a camel seems to me the same as hunting cows in a pasture and not much of a challenge but could be a fun vacation and if i ever did get tired of hunting black bear, mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk, big horn sheep, moose, grizzly, and mountain goats well then i guess i might venture over to shoot a camel but i never see that day in my future but if so i would take the 300 ultra mag have yet to find anything it won't put down
Old February 19, 2010, 01:57 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Mmmmm Camel. Tastes like antelope, with a little decomposing opossum thrown in...

I hunt for meat. There's no difference between food standing still, and food on the run. (Except that food on the run will have an adrenaline taint to it.)

If I could hunt the wild horses here, I would. They're tasty, and just as challenging as elk.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:33 PM   #23
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I get a little lump in my throat thinking about eating them.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:37 PM   #24
Fat White Boy

Franknmauser- Move to Nevada. There is a huge battle between the horse lovers and the cattlemen....
Old February 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #25
BGutzman

I never hunted it but I did eat a rib or two with the Special Forces in Afganistan in 2002. One rib goes a long way, two will stuff a man, it was good eating.

Id do it again in a heart beat if I had the chance, plus the SF were good company.

Last edited by BGutzman; February 20, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Closed Thread