The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2009, 10:09 AM   #26
AK103K

I think the biggest problem with handloads and blowing things up, has nothing to do with the powder or round being loaded for. Its the nit with that thinks he knows more than all the engineers and load developers, and the last load in the data string is the starting place.

If you chose the right powder and components for the job, and use prudent loading practices, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:29 AM   #27
freakshow10mm

Quote:
You've just completely encapsulating my exact thought with regards to Glock pistols in .40 S&W caliber and handloads.
In the case of the Glock .40 there are more issues at play than a sloppy chamber. Most kBs involving handloads the powder is more often than not AA #5. I don't know why this is and the Accurate technicians I spoke with can't find a reason anyways as they stated they cut their data to the low side with #5 and .40 S&W. I used to use #5 in all my commercial .40 loads but switched after the technician advised me to use something else if I'm loading commercially. I now use SMP 224 in .40. I also see a lot of Glock kBs on Youtube that are firing out of battery, something that all Glocks are capable of doing by design. I think it's a flaw and combine that capability with a less than optimal chamber support and that's just asking for trouble.

The very first thing I recommend to all Glock handloaders is an aftermarket barrel not so much for chamber support but for the ability to shoot lead. The improved chamber support is a bonus.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:33 AM   #28
zxcvbob

Alliant used to have a very good load book, til someone at their web site threw it out and started whoring for Speer swaged bullets. Good thing I downloaded a copy (the Bullseye data for .357 Magnum is eye-opening)

I'll post a link later; gotta run or I'll be late for church.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:55 AM   #29
rc

One size fits all not so good.

Bullseye is economical, but in a large case like .357, the chances of a double charge that is not noticed is greatly increased when compared with a powder such as 800X or blue dot. Those virtually fill the case. 800x doesn't meter very well and blue dot can produce high pressures at max charges. I would suggest 231 for small low volume pistol cartridges and blue dot, 800x or similar medium burn rate powder for .357mag, 44mag etc where it is desirable to fill the case as much as possible. As a newbee you want as safe a loading as possible, and double charges are a serious concern. rc
Old July 26, 2009, 11:21 AM   #30
Sevens

Freakshow, I do agree with you regarding Glocks and all of it that comes together in the "perfect storm" that brews up. I wasn't aware of AA#5's involvement, however.
Quote:
I think the biggest problem with handloads and blowing things up, has nothing to do with the powder or round being loaded for. Its the nit with that thinks he knows more than all the engineers and load developers, and the last load in the data string is the starting place.

If you chose the right powder and components for the job, and use prudent loading practices, I seriously doubt you'll have a problem.
Fundamentally, I agree with this also. But on a case by case by case basis, there's a piling up of examples in .40 cal and more often than any other, it's a Glock. Most of it is for all the reasons Freakshow stated. I also believe it has an awful lot to do with the fact that .40 S&W has no wiggle room with regards to case capacity, accidental bullet setback et all. If you look in any/every MFR's published powder guides, there's always a specific warning before the .40 S&W data with regards to COAL and the dangers associated with it.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Sevens

Quote:
Good thing I downloaded a copy (the Bullseye data for .357 Magnum is eye-opening)

I'll post a link later; gotta run or I'll be late for church.
I'm gonna hold you to that!
Old July 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #32
zxcvbob

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread...05#post4723105
Old July 26, 2009, 01:44 PM   #33
Sevens

Bummer... I need a log in for THR to download the attached .PDF.

I may even have a log in for that joint... I just don't know what it is!
Or maybe I don't!

Any chance you could link it here? Pleeeeeeease?!
Old July 26, 2009, 03:18 PM   #34
zxcvbob

I've tried before. TFL won't let me upload it because it's 1MB in size, and the max is 390KB.

(I thought by linking the THR message instead of the pdf directly, you'd be able to access it without an account)

Last edited by zxcvbob; July 26, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old July 26, 2009, 03:26 PM   #35
Sevens

I'll go register. This sounds like something I'd like to have.

Thanks!
Old July 26, 2009, 09:50 PM   #36
That'll Do

I'll add my favorite powders into the pool...

I keep on hand: W-231, H. Universal, HS-6, Bullseye, Power Pistol, 2400 and Blue Dot. I load 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 357 Magnum.

For 9mm, it's usually 231 or Bullseye for lead, and HS-6 and Power Pistol for jacketed or plated loads. Power Pistol is awesome in 9mm. I recommend everyone try a pound of it.

40 S&W is almost exclusively loaded with HS-6. It's my favorite powder for the caliber.

357 Magnum sees lots of Universal and 2400. I use those for my lead target loads. I've just started tinkering with Blue Dot, so the jury is still out on that powder.

I think my next powder to try is Unique. I've heard lots about it (mostly good).

Last edited by That'll Do; July 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old July 27, 2009, 05:03 PM   #37
Winterhawk56

That'll Do,

Just a thought for ya. I use Unique in my .45 and 38spl loads with Federal primers. It seem to work really well, great burn and accurate (at least in my Colts and Smiths)
Try it and let me know what you think?
Old July 27, 2009, 05:35 PM   #38
Doodlebugger45

I just love the "tinkering" aspect of handloading, so I like having lots of cans of powder. But I guess if I had to only have one can of powder for handguns it would be Unique or Universal. Unique doesn't meter as well, but it gets the job done in every handgun I load for. It even gives decent results for my .480 revolver. But the 231 meters better. And I'm a huge fan of Tite Group. If I was limited to just 2 powders rather than 1 though, I'd choose some W296 and some 231 of the ones I've tried. I would love to have some 2400 but there is none at all in my area.
Old July 27, 2009, 06:14 PM   #39
WESHOOT2

pets

E-mail direct; provide specifics.
Please.

'Cause my mind wanders far.....

(Specifics include exact components, tooling, launch platform(s), if a chronograph is available, experience level both in reloading and shooting, and goal; what is your desired goal?)
Old July 27, 2009, 06:21 PM   #40
freakshow10mm

That'll do, you owe it to yourself to try Winchester Auto Comp in the 40 S&W.

Run AC with 38 Special and 125gr lead bullets. It's dynamite with pressure 6K psi lower than everything else except TG.
Old July 28, 2009, 11:08 AM   #41
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk56
That'll Do,

Just a thought for ya. I use Unique in my .45 and 38spl loads with Federal primers. It seem to work really well, great burn and accurate (at least in my Colts and Smiths)
Try it and let me know what you think?
I just picked up a pound of Unique. Once I work up some loads I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
That'll do, you owe it to yourself to try Winchester Auto Comp in the 40 S&W.

Run AC with 38 Special and 125gr lead bullets. It's dynamite with pressure 6K psi lower than everything else except TG.
That's another powder on my want list. My local suppliers don't have it in stock yet, but the Cabela's an hour's drive away does. I read an article on AutoComp, and it does look to be very promising.
Old July 28, 2009, 02:11 PM   #42
freakshow10mm

I've been using it (known as SMP 224 to the non-canister trade) for several months during load development. I've been impressed with a few loads so far.
Old July 28, 2009, 02:56 PM   #43
zxcvbob

I've always been really impressed with Winchester powders. How does AutoComp compare with WSF? (not that it matters because I have almost 10 pounds of WSF already, I'm just curious)
Old July 28, 2009, 06:02 PM   #44
freakshow10mm

About the same. Charge weights will vary, velocity within 50fps, meters better than WSF. All the Winchester powders are used in Winchester factory ammo. AC is used in factory .380 and a few .40 loads for sure. WSF sees use in the 9mm and .45 ACP and W231 is usually a .45 powder.

I like the lower charge weights of W231 with the performance and cleanliness of WSF that meters well. AC seems to balance those two powders out well.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:19 PM   #45
hodaka

You've gotten good advice. I load for 9mm, .45, .38, .357. .45LC, 9 Mak, 9 Largo, and maybe some I have forgotten, but Unique and 231 works for all. I like Unique best but 231 meters much better. Both are pretty dirty, but much more forgiving than Clays, etc.
Old July 28, 2009, 07:34 PM   #46
AK103K

Unique also leaves that nasty taste in the back of your throat if you shoot indoors.
Old July 28, 2009, 10:56 PM   #47
freakshow10mm

You clean your gun after you shoot, why does cleanliness matter so much?