The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Shotgun vs sub machine gun

I am curious about when a shotgun would be a better choice than a full auto sub machine gun. I see swat teams all the time with some members with shotguns and others with submachine guns. I know the shotgun can be used for breaching but this is a more recent phenomenon.

Supposing a swat teams enters a building looking to clean out a bunch of armed dangerous thugs. If they knew in advance that the thugs did not have body armor. When would it be better for them to use shotguns vs submachineguns.

I know most swat teams have abandoned the 9mm, .40 submachine guns for the Ar-15 carbine due to over penetration issues. But even for them under what scenarios are you better off with the shotgun?

George Orwell
Old May 22, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2
DMacLeod

An auto weapon is more controlable shot placement wise.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
DMacLeod

By auto weapon I mean CAR-15 or similar. They have selective fire capability.

A shotgun with OO buck throws X number of projectiles for a single pull of the trigger.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:55 PM   #4
davlandrum

Quote:
abandoned the 9mm, .40 submachine guns for the Ar-15 carbine due to over penetration issues
Sorry, I am confused. Is the implication that a 9 mm sub gun does not over-penetrate as much as a .223 AR??

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 22, 2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Got the same thread going in Tactics.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
mikenbarb

For real???

Is this for real Dave???? Do you really need to know what S.W.A.T. would use to clean out a building of armed thugs?????
Old May 22, 2008, 05:22 PM   #7
oneounceload

Dave - you joining a SWAT team?? or afraid of one coming to your house??..time to take up yoga or fishing my friend....
Old May 23, 2008, 01:04 AM   #8
.351winchester

Before the carbine .223 gained popularity (eventually 86-ing both these for the most part in SWAT except sub-specialized uses), the SMG was usually the default tactical team standard issue. This went back to when they were first designed as a support to bolt or auto battle rifles. shotguns were/are used and not just for blowing hinges, offering undisputable performance and less training than required to handle a subgun with lives at stake (i.e. an LEO that is surgical with uh-oh Buck, may not qualify the MP-5 as well in same conditions). I can't imagine non-lethal loads being used by SWAT going in after someone, but it allows that option.

SMGs and suppressors go together like peanut butter and jelly. That's a plus if you're busting up a meth lab where muzzle flash could ignite the air and fry everyone inside. Same for the 200 lb. Presas or Cane Corsos chained to the porch (not work for a Amphibian .22 if it came to that, get real). With bare muzzle, also on the quiet side.

In a hostage taking situation, and no sniper medulla shot available, most would be more comfortable with a MP-5 thumbed to the single bullet, than a shotgun even at close range- a .355 margin of error, vs. one palm sized, with the target peaking around an innocent.
Most SMGs are very compact and ideal sized long guns for indoor stuff, where a SG of same dimesnsions would be uncontrollable and too low capacity for a primary weapon (door openers aside).

Both there are close range meat grinders. A short .223 semi or w/3rd. burst onboard gives much better versatility. Including ammo selection that spans vest punching to those that lose it in building materials.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Super-Dave

Nope I am not joining a swat team. I am just curious on why swat teams still use a lot of shotguns if they have submachine guns. I know most is used for breaching, but many of them look like they are being used for other than breaching.

Also having played with a benneli super nova yesterday, I realized I really don't need one. Instead I will buy another mossberg 590 or remington 870, or a winchester speed pump.

Does anyone know if remington will ever make a 870 super magnum with a 18-20" barrell?

George Orwell
Old May 23, 2008, 07:15 AM   #10
mikenbarb

Dave, Why not make one yourself and send it to briley for them to install choke tubes.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:46 AM   #11
SDC

At most "gunfight ranges" (less than 20 feet), a shotgun is still going to put all of its payload into a circle less than 6 inches in diameter; with OO buckshot, that means 9 hits immediately (and therefore, an almost certain one-shot stop), with almost no chance of "shooting through" the target. Shotguns have their own particular issues, but lack of stopping power isn't one of them.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:48 AM   #12
rugersp101

I'll take my Thompson M1 over my shotgun any day. Higher capacity, big bore .45acp with a large choice of ammo styles, and combat proven in the absolute roughest conditions.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:25 AM   #13
Cerick

If it were a hostage situation, you would pretty much be forced to go with a sub machinegun. Extreme accuracy is a must. Otherwise a shotgun would be boss, 9 pellets at once? Damage centeral.