The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2007, 01:22 PM   #1
odsixer

Single stage pistol reloading

Anyone do this? All I have is a single stage press but I'm thinking of doing some loading for my 45. not sure if it's worth the time but could be ok until I can afford a progressive.
Old December 29, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2
cpaspr

Time is not always the most critical

Many people reload on single stage presses. I have two. And use them both. Not fast production, but very accurate. Makes for nice down time from the rat race.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3
rrp

45 acp

I've reloaded 45 acp with my rockchucker single stage for years. I have had excellent results. I reload for the enjoyment so time is not too important to me. I get to shoot a lot more at a reasonable price and then fill some of these long winter days with reloading for the next day of shooting. Great fun and keeps the old "brain housing group" working. Good luck and good shooting.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:17 PM   #4
rwilson452

I ceap way into faster reloading for pistol is the Lee Classic turret press. It can be set up to auto index. add the safety prime and other stuff you effectively have a progressive press. If you don't already have 45ACP dies I would suggest the Lee four die set. You can do it on a single stage press it just takes longer.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I use a single stage press, for everything

And I have progressives! I just stopped using them. I loaded more bad rounds on progressive presses (2-3) over the years than I ever did with a single stage press.

I am no longer impressed by volume of rounds per hour. My time is my own, and I load by batch nowdays. Size a batch of cases one day, prime them another (I have also gone to a hand primer, I like the better "feel"). Then charge and seat bullets another day. I can load batches of 500 if I feel like it, or just a few. I do enjoy the ease of making just a few rounds when developing loads. And since I load for several different cartridges, changing from one to another is MUCH easier than setting up the progressive, especially for just a box or two.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I've only been reloading for 3 years now, but it's all done on the Lee Challenger press that came with the Anniversary Kit.

Calibers that I reload:

.44sp/.44mag
38/.357mag
9mm
.300wm
Soon - 7.65x53 (argentine mauser)

I've loaded several thousands of .44 and .223 and several hundreds of .357. Just started 9mm this last summer and have only loaded 500 rnds... So far.

Like rrp, I spend a lot of winter time reloading for the better parts of the year.
Old December 29, 2007, 03:46 PM   #7
tomh1426

I use a single stage press but i mostly reload for my revolvers, Im fat and dont like pickin up brass.
It takes me a good amount of time to make just 50 rounds but Im not really goin for speed.
Its fun and relaxing and my wife loves it cuz it keeps me quiet for hours.
If I was gunna reload ALOT of .45 I would get a diff press, unless you have alot of free time.
Old December 29, 2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Wayfarin'Stranger

I reload .40 S&W on a Lee single stage. With a consistant powder thrower I can load about 50rds in an hour, while still taking my time to inspect each case for things I might have missed.

Unless you have a requirement to load a few hundred rounds in an hour or have absolutely no time to sit down for a while and reload, then a single stage will do you just fine.

BTW, I'm currently producing more ammunition right now than I can shoot. I have about 300 loaded rounds sitting here waiting, so I'll agreee that winter months when you don't go out and shoot as much give you alot of extra time to stockpile some reloads.
Old December 29, 2007, 04:35 PM   #9
jdmick

Quote:
A cheap way into faster reloading for pistol is the Lee Classic turret press. It can be set up to auto index. add the safety prime and other stuff you effectively have a progressive press. If you don't already have 45ACP dies I would suggest the Lee four die set. You can do it on a single stage press it just takes longer.
I agree. I went from 50 rounds per hour to an easy 200 RPH with the turret. Kempf has a good deal on a kit or they can sell you the individual parts if you don't want another full set of dies.
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html
Old December 29, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
45Marlin carbine

I have 2 single stage presses set up on my bench about 18" apart. I use 2 shell holders per set of dies and once I have brass cleaned, sized and primed the pace picks up so's it ain't too bad a deal. do the same with my rifle loads too. MOF I'm heading back to the basement right now and load 100 7.62X39 rounds.
Old December 29, 2007, 07:53 PM   #11
dtalley

I also load on a single stage Lee press. I do as 44Amp does and load in batches. I have several buckets around, one with brass sized and deprimed, one with brass belled, one with brass belled and primed. I just have to add powder and bullet whenever ready. It has worked for some time for me. I reload for 4 pistol and 5 rifle.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:06 PM   #12
toybox99615

single stage since mid 70's

I started back in the mid 70's to reload 45 ACP using a single stage RCBS press. There were not a lot of options for press selection other than single stage unless you were ready to spend mega bucks back then for a turret. Actualy some times we would cheat and set up three or four single stage presses and do a group reload for our bullseye rounds. We even cast our own bullets using lead off the backstop pile.

Now I'm back reloading 38WC and crank out 100 rounds a week with no major time involved. Size and decap a batch. Expand a batch. Then sit around the office and reprime a batch. Then back to the press and finish the job. Actualy the biggest pain use to be measuring powder until I went to a Bonanza unit years ago.

Even today RCBS has a selection of single stage units. A few of the reloaders would never consider anything but a single stage. So don't feel a need to get a multi stage unit until you are sure of what you want. Part of this reloading gig is to spend time on your hobby. If you want rounds real fast then all you need do is buy them across the counter.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Like Antipitas, I used the Lee reloader kit for several years. Just in the past few months, I've switched to the RockChucker Supreme Kit single stage. I love spending the quality time reloading my ammo, rather that gunning for quantity.

I must admit, I ordered a Hornady Lock 'N' Load due in January for my pistol cartridges. However, 99.9% of the time I will use my RockChucker for rifle and still on occasion for pistol experimental loads.

That's just my little weird quirk...don't like to hurry along in my hobbies...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 29, 2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Wapiti

The only progressive I have is my shotshell loader, so yes, I load pistol with a regular ole press. I think the people that plink/target/competition need a progressive more than someone like me who shoots/loads 80% hunt and 20% plink.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:32 PM   #15
tonelar

rcbs jr

I've not reloaded on anything but a single stage yet. then again, a cowboy match only uses 100 to 150 rounds of pistol/ rifle ammo.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:47 PM   #16
odsixer

Thanks guy's, I picked up a lee carbide die set today and loaded 50rds in about two and a half hours including set up time. I think if I buy some kind of powder thrower I should be set.

I followed the lee data and loaded 230gr mc over 6gr of unique and they seemed pretty snappy compared to factory remington.
Old December 29, 2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Wayfarin'Stranger

Good deal sixer.

It's alot quicker once you get a powder thrower. When you do, it will be a good idea to weigh a charge every few throws, just to double check it.

Good luck
Old December 30, 2007, 08:05 AM   #18
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The good thing about reloading on a single stage press is that you learn to pay attention to what you are doing. Detail is important.

My son (who is the person who taught me) stressed repeatedly that not paying attention will lead to mishaps that can ruin your gun, if not your life.

Like others, I reload in stages nowadays.

It's an altogether relaxing and enjoyable time.
Old December 30, 2007, 09:40 AM   #19
Steve in PA

Been loading on an RCBS single stage for over 15 years. I reload lots of handgun ammo, especially 9mm and .45acp. I reload over the winter, usually stock piling about 2-3k for each caliber.

I do my reloading in stages. I'll sit down and resize/deprime all the brass first. When thats done (might take a week, two weeks, month, etc no rush on my part) I'll bell the case and reprime. Then when thats all done I'll sit down and turn out 100-200 in a sitting. By the time spring gets here my ammo stock pile is back up and I can shoot for a long time without having to reload.

Of course I'll often reload during the shooting season if things get a little too low.
Old December 30, 2007, 11:12 AM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

It's kinda refreshing that I finally see others have the same opinion of using a single stage press. It was only a few months ago I was trying to express the importance of newbies getting into reloading to buy a single stage press, only to be drowned out by others that say "don't bother with single stage, you'll do just fine with progressive".

Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one out there...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 30, 2007, 12:09 PM   #21
Cap'n

Tuttle8, +1.

I was beginning to feel antiquated with my RCBS Rockchucker II. I've reloaded 10s of thousands of pistol and several thousand rifle rounds on it:
.22 Hornet
.32 ACP
.380 ACP
9 mm
.38 / .357 / .357 MAXIMUM
.32-20
.45 ACP
.45 LC
.243 Winchester
.308 Winchester

No squibs; no overcharges. The single stage keeps you focused.
Old December 30, 2007, 12:41 PM   #22
Bones507

I feel right at home here !! I thought i was a nut or a dinosaur after reading some of these other forums with these guys all talking about Dillon progressives and Hornadys and whatnot. Im thinking "Doesnt anyone besides me reload on a single stage anymore ?"
Seriously, i shoot rifle and during the winter its strictly revolver and i shoot about 200-300 rounds on my two trips to the range a week. I have been using a rock chucker for the last 10 years and have never had a bad round yet, i think that says something. Like a lot of the other guys here, i tumble brass and resize one day and bell and prime the next and powder and seat when i feel like it. I use a hand primer also as those tubes dont make me feel to comfortable.
Im seriously thinking of adding an RCBS turret style for the pistol as they go for about $175 or something like that and i already have everything else i need.
Old December 30, 2007, 12:47 PM   #23
snuffy

Quote:
BTW, I'm currently producing more ammunition right now than I can shoot. I have about 300 loaded rounds sitting here waiting, so I'll agree that winter months when you don't go out and shoot as much give you a lot of extra time to stockpile some reloads.
I just loaded 300 rounds of 45 acp in about 25 minutes on my 650 dillon.

If I had to load those on a single stage, I would buy factory ammo. Then I wouldn't shoot very much either.

Yes, I started out with a RC,(rockchucker), but it was just too slow, took way too much time. Back then, I was into handgun silhouette, between practice and matches, there just wasn't time for the slowness of a single stage. A Lyman spar-T came into the picture, it was a bit faster in that I didn't have to screw in and out different dies. However it just wasn't as rigid as the RC. Shooting a revolver at 200 yds it shows up real fast that your ammo isn't up to snuff. But that was 30 years ago!

Fast forward to today, with IPSC and IDPA I have a lot of shooting going on. Spending the time necessary for single stage loading wouldn't give me adequate time for practice, let alone competition.

The 650 Dillon is an awesome machine. A lot of money, but I've more than paid for it in the last year, the rest is gravy. If you can figure out how to set dies for a single stage press, you can safely operate a dillon.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 30, 2007, 12:49 PM   #24
dodge

I load everything but shotgun on my Rockchucker which I have had for over 30 years. I never felt the need to use anything else. I use the winter months to load up my ammo and then use the spring, summer and fall to shot up. What I like about reloading is if I'm out of ammo I don't have make a special run to a store just sit down and load up another box or two. I takes me about 20 minutes for a 20 round box of rifle and probably 30-45 minutes for a box of 50 for a handgun. The way that I do it is put my brass into the tumbler when I come back from shooting and that way it's ready to proccess when I have time to do it. For pistol I set down to load I will size/deprime all the cases for that box, prime and then bell the mouth, put powder into it, and then set my bullet. I do each step to all rounds before I change dies. For my powder measure I have a RCBS Uniflow which works very well with the ball powder that I use in my pistols.
Old December 30, 2007, 12:54 PM   #25
Mike40-11

I'll chime in with the batch reloading on the single stage. My wife got me the Lee Anniversary kit for Christmas 2 years ago.

I have several buckets (labeled) with brass in various stages in the pipeline. Tumble, dump it in a bucket. Deprime and size a couple hundred, dump it in another bucket. Bell, another bucket. Prime, yet another bucket. Eventually I'll sit down and charge, seat and crimp a hundred or two at a time and be ready to go. Once the brass is prepped I'll finish em off at the rate of a hundred an hour or so.

I have to admit though, I have been eyeing the Dillon 550s and 650s pretty heavily lately. Decisions, decisions.