The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 9, 2015, 06:49 AM   #1
Nlight1

Search from tapatalk app on mobile device not working

When I try to search from my iPhone on the tapatalk app on the forum it will not show any results. I have to use my browser (safari) to log back on to the forum & perform a search. Any reason for this? I'm on a few different forums & this is the only one that has this problem.
Old March 9, 2015, 12:04 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

Search is not currently supported for tapatalk, because TFL uses a hacked-together search system with sphinx as the backend. Searching with taptalk works with the digitalpoint sphinx search integration AFAIK, but that's not what TFL uses, unfortunately.

It's a well-known problem, and it'll be fixed eventually, probably with an upgrade/conversion to phpbb, but I can't offer a timeline at this point.

A simpler stop-gap might be to see if tapatalk can be easily modified to use google to search, but that has its own problems (privacy, for one... some people don't like the google panopticon... and google has no concept of searching within posts, only pages).
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; March 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old March 9, 2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Nlight1

Wow, all of that info is over my head. I appreciate the explaination though.