The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
snipes1027

Lubricants

Ballistol vs Break Free

What is your favorite or what other do you use and why?

I'm also very new to the forum so sorry if this is a repeat.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:04 AM   #2
oldandslow

snipes, 3/30/10

The subject of lubricants comes up quite frequently and elicits a number of very spirited opinions on which is the absolute one and only best lubricant. In reality there are a number of adequate lubricants, some cheap and plentiful and others expensive and hard to come by. I have tried several (including BreakFree) and finally settled on plain old 90wt. gear oil. It's cheap and effective and has worked for the last 80,000 pistol and rifle rounds I have shot.

best wishes- oldandslow (and cheap- my parent's fault)
Old March 30, 2010, 07:55 AM   #3
jmortimer

Rem Oil
Old March 30, 2010, 10:41 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

Rem Oil, because I don't have any Ballistol.
Old March 30, 2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Gunplummer

I have not used Breakfree in probably 35 years. I remember when it replaced LSA in the military. Somebody must have gotten paid off there. That Breakfree is really crap on high heat applications. 3-in-1 oil is better than that.
Old March 30, 2010, 11:53 AM   #6
seed

Weapons Shield. Sorry I didn't choose between the the two choices you provided as options, but I have never used Ballistol and am past Break-Free. I did my own research and can happily recommend Weapons Shield.
Old March 30, 2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Baphomet

Mobil 1. I think I'm currently using 10W-30. Castrol full synthetic works well too, though.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:25 PM   #8
ir3e971

Snipes, I am using Ballistol a lot lately. I started with it because I had some cuts on my hand, and it is non-toxic.

I put some in a spray bottle and spritz some on the exterior and down the barrel and cylinders and scrub the gun clean. Wipe off with a cloth, and some patches and call the gun clean and lubed.

So far it has done fine with all my handguns, though only have used it about 6 months.

I have also used Hoppes and Rem Oil.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:01 PM   #9
JWT

I find Rem oil to be too light and doesn't 'last' very long on surfaces. I've been using Wilson Combat Ultra lube oil and grease and have been very satisfied with it. I like the syringe it comes in for ease of application to internal parts.
Old March 30, 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
JoeBob

BreakFree CLP...has worked well in all the auto/selective fire weapons I've ever used (M16/SAW) and semi auto shotguns, rifles, and pistols.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Wildalaska

Lithium grease

WilditsyummyonsandwichestooAlaska TM
Old March 31, 2010, 08:03 PM   #12
gunn308

For the last 5 years I have replaced Ol#9 with Eezox it's a cleaner and dry lube, after the first application there is less lead and copper fouling in the bore.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:39 PM   #13
javven

I use CLP on ALMOST everything down to 0 degrees. Below that something a
bit thinner is required.

I use different stuff on hinge pins (OU, and SXS) - I like the tetra - gun paste if I can get it. Otherwise a high-pressure synthetic axle grease works great.

I normally don't use solvents - CLP is light enough for 90% of my cleaning. A BBL has to be pretty nasty before I put solvent in it.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:43 PM   #14
riverwalker76

Break Free CLP made by Olin/Winchester and Montana Xtreme Gun Grease for all moving parts.

I have used Lucas Oil Red and Tacky Bearing Grease in a pinch when I was waiting for another tube of Montana Xtreme. Worked great and the cherry smell was a plus.

I have buddies and all they use is Lucas Red. You can get a tube of it for $6 and it will last 10 years. It's waterproof too. I use it on my boat trailer wheel bearings, and it never washes out.
Old April 1, 2010, 05:26 PM   #15
Straightshooter629

I've bee partial to Rem-oil for general lubrication, and Pro-shot's "Pro-Gold" grease. I like to use it on the slides of my semi-autos.
Old April 2, 2010, 12:32 AM   #16
Mac's!

I use Dri-Slide on my own personal firearms and Dri-Slide mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with a lite oil for newly refinished firearms.

Dri-Slide is a mollybdenum disulfide based lube that goes on wet so it gets into the tight spots. Then it dries in place so it not a dust magnet. That's important to me since I live in the desert. I mix it with some "wet" oil for newly refinished firearms because they're still a little tight. They'll need a wetter, heavier lube for a few rounds of live fire. For the slide rails on my own pistols, I use a mollybdenum Disulfide grease. I got a tube of it years back at the auto store and haven't used it all yet. Just a dab on a Q-tip is all it takes.

I've been trying a new lube called Spray-On 00200 for enclosed areas. I say "enclosed" because this stuff is a nasty green and it seems pretty permanent. I've been using it on the insides of pump gun forearms tubes and the insides of certain receivers. (Ruger 1022, STG-58, etc) It holds up very well and yes: It's mollydenum disulfide based too! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old April 2, 2010, 04:57 PM   #17
vladan

Eezox for rust protection, I live in humid Florida and eezox is great for that but I still put touch of synthetic grease on my semiautos rails