The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Kraziken

A question about the Browning Auto5

My Uncle has had a Browning Auto5 in the family for awhile now. He never used it anymore and needed some cash so I bought it from him about 4 years ago.

I've fired it in the past (over 15 years) but took it out again recently.

I noticed on the left side of the shotgun, there is a lever on the left side of the receiver. Does anyone know what the lever does?
Old May 27, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
mcanders

That I believe is a magazine cutoff switch. But I'm not sure.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Jeff Mulliken

The last post is correct, it is a magazine cut off. It allows you to remove or change out the shell in the chamber without emptying the magazine.

Engaging it also makes the Auto-5 into a single shot, useful in training a new/young shooter.

The first Auto-5's did not have a mag cut off, it was introduced added to the gun in 1909.

Jeff
Old May 28, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
mattamuskeet

I really like the magazine cut off. When I case the gun or put it in the truck, I usually use it instead of complete unloading. Just flip the lever then jack the shell out of the chamber. If you leave the bolt back, all you have to do to load it really fast is to flip the lever back and the gun automatically chambers a shell. Then just add one shell to the magazine. I always figured it was made for waterfowlers to change from a duck to a goose load without having to unload or vice-versa.

I love the A-5
Old May 29, 2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Jeff Mulliken

I'm not so comfortable with keeping shells in the mag tube on any shotgun that is cased or in a vehicle.

But I do use that technique with a gun in my duck boat picking up decoys, moving to a new spot etc. It is also a handy way to safe a gun for fence crossings without having to empty it completely.

Jeff