The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Teuthis

Winchester Defender

I have an older but very little used Winchester Defender from the late 1980's. It always functioned properly and it is well preserved. I bought it way back when, but only shot it once or twice. I have it stored, and I am planning to go get it and use for self defense. It seems that it should be a pretty good home defense, or emergency defense shotgun. Does anyone remember them and have any thoughts?
Old May 23, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
123kiwi

My first was a Defender. Took many ducks, rabbits with it, shot a ton of clays too actually. Only sold it to get a newer model (NRA model i think).
Not able to use firearms here for HD but theoretically itd be ideal, nice and short, holds 8 rounds and very very reliable...
Old May 24, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
b.thomas

Yup, My brother has one (a 1200), not a bad shotgun for what you want.
Just give a good clean and lube and loader her up with some double "O" buck and your all set.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:50 AM   #4
TxGun

It's a good solid shotgun. Not a thing wrong with it. It should serve you very well for HD.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 1200/1300 series are decent shotguns. The weakest link is us.

Use your shotgun copiously. Shoot starlings, landfill rats, evil clay discs or tin cans, but shoot it plenty. Learn it until it feels like a body part, not just a tool.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:01 AM   #6
2afreedom

I have shot and owned Remingtons and Mossbergs and my favorite pump is hands down the Winchester 1300. I think they catch a bad rap from some people for no real reason-how many of us will ever shoot enough to wear out a shotgun receiver aluminum or otherwise? For me the shorter shuck length of the Winchester and its smooth rotating bolt make it faster and easier to use. Clean that gun up and shoot it man!
Old May 27, 2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Teuthis

Thank you all for your excellent information and advice. Now I see no need to purchase a new shotgun. It will be mostly for self defense, and the occasional snake. I have not shot it in twenty years but I have cared for it properly. It should still be a good shooter. Thanks again!
Old May 27, 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
webbee

Because of the front trigger guard mounted safety, it is the best of the big three, for the Knoxx SpecOps stock. Safety is right where you want it, finger outside the trigger guard. The only problem with Winchester shotties are the lack of customizing goodies. Since it's for home defence, I would put a Knoxx stock on it, and stick it within easy reach of the bed.
Why put a recoil reducing stock on a HD weapon? For practice, some more practice and much more practice. All that practicing makes for a sore shoulder and that's what the Knoxx stocks reduce. Did I mention practice?