The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 10, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
elpitirre

AK47C IO Sport

What is the experience with the AK47C IO? Allegedly able to produce 2" groups. Reliable? Thank you.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Isk

My "Homeland Defense Rifle" is an early version of that model that I picked up a few years ago for less than $400.00. Mine has the wood furniture, not the newer polymer stuff.

The threading on the barrel is "off" on mine. Attachments simply don't line up with the bore and it appears it would be dangerous to have one on there.

The barrel assembly itself is also canted a degree or two off center from the receiver. That appears to be a problem with how the assembly is bolted to the receiver.

Despite these problems, the stupid thing has never failed to fire, or eject or feed a round. Absolutely relaible so far. I've managed to do 2"-3", five shot groups on the "head" of a target at 100 ft. (which isn't far) while standing, unsupported...but I'm not a very good shot. I haven't really ever taken it out to play with it at long range. Couldn't really say if it would hold true for 2" groups at a hundred yards though.

To me, the gun is worth every penny I paid since it has been completely reliable and I didn't pay a lot for it. But...if I had to do it over a again, I'd save the money and buy something else. I.O. does have a lifetime warranty, but I've never tried to use it...could be that they would fix my problems for free if I asked, not sure.

Hope that provides some insight for you.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

ISK is one of the lucky ones from what I've seen. I've seen/handled 3 in person and all were poorly made. Poor welds, poorly aligned receiver and gas blocks seemed to be the norm. I'd stay far away from them until their quality control improves.
Old September 11, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
elpitirre

Thank you for the replies; seems like a toss up on this AK.