The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Pahoo

Brought another Orpan to my house.

Well, not the kind you are use to hearing about but another M/L, that no one wants anymore. About twice a year, this happens. This one is a Remington 700ML in S.S. with all accessaries and thar was a bunch. One reason it was no longer wanted, is that the fella fell out of love with this hobby. Did not understand that to us, this is not a hobby, but a way of life. Some in-liners can get that way. Well, I needed another in-line like I need another M/L but the price was right. Time for the question.

I'm sure there are folks out there that have these and I'd like to know what they think of them and how well they shoot. Also, your optimum target and hunting load. Might save me some Range-Time. Sure will value and appreciate your input !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 15, 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
arcticap

What I've read is that they shoot everything pretty well.
That's why the folks who like them really seem to like them.
Their used prices seem to be on the upswing too...
Old June 17, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
K.A.T.

Remington

They are a great gun. I had one and shot 3 Pyrodex pellets and a Powerbelt in it. It shot a tight group and never had a problem with it. You need to take the bolt apart and clean it also after shooting, there is a spring in there and it will rust up if you don't. I didn't like having to take the bolt apart and clean it, and I didn't like the way you have to use the little pick to get the 209 primer out of the nipple. If you use triple seven pellets they will not ignite as fast as the regular pyrodex pellets. I think I was using the 348gr. Powerbelt. I don't think you can buy a gun that will shoot a better group, but you can buy one that is easier to clean.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
arcticap

I looked at 2 of them just yesterday at the local gunshop. One was a new stainless .50 that cost over $400. The other was a used stainless .45 that looked 98%+ and was on consignment for $289 plus tax. It had a longer barrel than the .50, and also had a scope and a 209 nipple included. The gun shouldered really nice and the trigger felt great. The .45's are very desirable for long range range shooting too, but it certainly wasn't the lightest rifle on the rack either.

Last edited by arcticap; June 17, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old June 18, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Pahoo

Thanks for the input and feedback. Mine came with the 209 conversion and the fellow included the #11 striker and spring. Mine also came scoped and not sure what I'm going to do with it as a buddy of mine is interested in it. Have another buddy that has his set up with a musket primer and has really been relating it's performance. If I keep it, I'll probably convert it to a musket primer as well. I did read that it is rated to a max load of 120 grns. and the magnum to 150grns. Mine has a S.S. barrel and most of the time where I hunt, I will stay under the 120. Again, I thank you guys for your valued help.

Be Safe !!!!