The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 5, 1998, 11:03 PM   #1
Michael Carlin

A while back I bought a stock set from CDNN for my Mossberg 500 12 gauge.

The buttstock fit on easily, but the forstock seems to be too long and the "nut" won't reach the threads on the slide.

What to do? Isent it back twice and finally accepted that I must have some sort of wierd setup. CDNN offered to take it back, but I want the composite buttstock and the forestock. The buttstock fits well, does any one have an alternate source for the forstock, an easy fix, or a trade ya for it offer?

thanks and yours in marksmanship

michael
Old December 6, 1998, 12:10 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Michael, I don't know exactly why their forend doesn't fit, nor what you paid for it because I couldn't find it in my CDNN catalogue. You can get a complete set by Choate for around $79, Speedfeed for around $85 and a Tac-Star for $50. A Speedfeed forend alone for your shotgun is $16.50. All of these are available at your local gunsmith. He could probably have them to you in a couple of days. George

------------------

Old December 6, 1998, 10:06 AM   #3
Michael Carlin

George,

Thanks for your response, I paid 19.95 for the set on sale, from an ad about 6 months ago in SGN. The guys at CDNN tried very hard to make this right exchanging the part for another twice. Then they offered a full refund. No problem on their part as far as I am concerned.

I will pursue a "Speed Feed" foreend. Thanks for you advice.

yours in marksmanship

michael

Old December 6, 1998, 12:24 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

If you can't find one e-mail me and I'll see if I can help you. George

------------------

Old January 5, 1999, 11:11 PM   #5
Michael Carlin

George and others:

I ordered a Mossberg forearm for my 12 gauge 500A. It arrived today. Same problem, the threaded tube of the slide assembly is about 6" long and the forearm is about 7". When the forearm is on the tube the nut will not beign to reach and engage the threads, at least 3/4" to 1" short.

Are there more than one size for the 12 ga 500s? Is there a difference for 2 & 3/4" only older models? I am at a loss here.

I got an aftermarket, from CDNN along with a buttstock. The synthetic buttstock went on perfectly,(except for being a little long for me). The forearm I returned twice, then I just bit the bullet and ordered one from Mossberg (part no 10462) exactly the same problem. What am I up against here?

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

Old January 6, 1999, 09:50 PM   #6
Michael Carlin

Today I spoke to a service representative at Mossberg. She listened carefully and then, said you need either a new action bar assembly or a different forearm. The assembly was 23.82 and the nut was 8.80some.

Or she said I could get the original style forearm in synthetic for the same price as I paid for the "corn cob" style that they shipped. (This is what I really wanted in the first place!)

The part number is 14600, so the mystery is solved. There are indeed more than one action bar assembly for the 500 and more than one length of forearm. Learning the hard way!

Thanks

------------------

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

Old January 16, 1999, 09:22 AM   #7
Michael Carlin

Mossberg's service is excellent!

First of all, as you can tell from this thread it is not common knowledge among the cognoscenti that there is more than one length of action bar assembly tube.

Second, though the catalog would be well served if they mentioned the defferent lengths available and advised you to measure, the service representative knew exactly what would fit when I described the problem.

Third, she instructed me to return the wrong one, which I had ordered in error (my fault but she did not mention that ) and they would reship the right one.

Well she must have shipped the replacement without having received the first one back.

Package arrived yesterday, the forearm went on smoothly in less than 3 minutes. Finally I have the all black synthetic (hey Kodiac ) "tactical" furniture on my Mossberg 500A.

I must say that Mossberg seems to be in the "Dillon mode" when it comes to service!

------------------

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-16-99).]