The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 23, 2013, 03:01 AM   #1
jolly1

Hunting in the U.S.- foreigners

Hi, all!

Can anybody give me an advice and / or useful links for hunting in US for non US citizens. Especially Western European.

Getting the licence? Price?
Procedure to bring own rifle (legal and registered in home country)

Big game hunting: deer, bison, elk?
Prices?
In which states possible?

The same question if planning to hunt with black powder rifle?

Any useful info will be appreciated.
I know there are probably different rules for different states, which makes this question a bit complex...

Many thanks!
Old February 23, 2013, 06:26 AM   #2
longspurr

For big game hunts in the USA there are basically 2 types. 1) purchase a game license from the state you are going to hunt in and obey / go by the rules of the state game department. Big game hunting is seasonal so the hunts are for specific days. Often the “days” are spelled out and one week or as much as 3 weeks in duration.
The game license for this would be an “out of state license”. IE you are not a state resident. For some species (Elk) the permit tags are limited and there is a lottery OR first come first served. Some folks sign up every year but only get one tag every few years.
You can hunt on your own, or use the services of a guide -your choice. My understanding is that Alaska is a special case and does require a guide for out of state hunters for some species.

Big game hunting is possible in all of our 50 states. Only some of the states have the game species you are interested in.
Hunting rifles or ammo are no problem here. Not sure about US customs entry declarations needed.

The 2nd) type of hunt is on private ground that is set up as a hunting presurve. These are fenced area's that stock their own animals and can have their own hunting rules. Some of these “hunting areas” are small, less than a square mile, and some are much larger, several square miles.

Some links that may be useful
http://member.scifirstforhunters.org...hapter/Search/ this is safari club

http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/...esandFees.aspx
this link is for Colorado state game department

http://fwp.mt.gov/ this is for the state of Montana
Old February 23, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
"JJ"

Hey jolly1.
It all depends on what you want to hunt and where.
Each state will have a web page for that state's "Game and Wildlife" laws, seasons and licenses needed.
I just had a fella come over from Germany the first part of February to predator hunt with me. He purchased a no-resident 5 day small game license for $48 and hunted predators for the week. That license also allowed exotic hunting and he went to a game ranch like longspur mentioned and took a nice blackbuck antelope.

It take a bit of planning but it is possible!
Good luck!
Old February 24, 2013, 03:27 AM   #4
jolly1

JJ,
Thanks for comment.
I was indeed reading the thread about coyote hunting. Great post, and wonderful experience! Thanks!
Old February 24, 2013, 09:40 AM   #5
mquail

I have a question. How do individual states handle "hunter certification" from foreign countries?
Old February 24, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
"JJ"

mquail it was not an issue with my guest because of age. I know Arkansas has a one time deferral for the hunter ed that allows a one time pass. I would guess because of this topic there are similar options in other states.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
mquail

Quote:
mquail it was not an issue with my guest because of age. I know Arkansas has a one time deferral for the hunter ed that allows a one time pass. I would guess because of this topic there are similar options in other states.
Thanks for the clarifaction. I have visions of them trying to buy a license when the clerk says, "Oh, by the way...." Those "by the way" moments can ruin someone's vacation.

Of course most folks buy their licenses on line and get that out of the way before they leave the comfort of their own home
Old February 24, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
jolly1

Ups!
I was not thinking of that particular detail?

I have hunters examination issued by my home country.
So, is this usually recognized as valid, or do some states require additional local certification / examination / endorsement or similar paperwork for foreig citizens?

Also, purchasing the ammunition for legal (registered) hunting / sport rifles for foreign citizens, or necessary to bring your own supply?
Old February 24, 2013, 12:16 PM   #9
taylorce1

Deer & Elk combo in one hunt your best bet is Colorado. Contact Aaron Neilson he books hunts all around the world, local to Colorado and pretty good guy all around. He'll help you find what you want to hunt.

There aren't a lot of hunts for free range bison but you can go to several ranches and shoot one. Montana is your best bet for free range bison, Henry mountains of Utah have them as well. However, the Henry mountains you'll probably have to buy a Governor's tag to hunt there.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:52 PM   #10
mquail

Quote:
Also, purchasing the ammunition for legal (registered) hunting / sport rifles for foreign citizens, or necessary to bring your own supply?
I've never had anyone ask me for anything other than money when I purchase ammo. I don't know of any restrictions concerning ammo.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:06 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

In many locales, non -residents are restricted from buying ammo.

Personally, OP, I would contact some good guides in the states you want to hunt. (It would have really benefited you to have made the SCI convention in January as that is when the guides from all over the world book hunts)

There are forms to import your firearm. I have friends who are English and own a home here. They have to provide proof of their need to bring their guns in (an invite to a shoot or a hunt works nicely).

With all of the hoopla going on here about guns in general, I would allow a longer period of time for the processing of the paperwork. For what you are intending to hunt, Montana would be high on my list - the state folks can provide data about licenses and fees and should have a list of excellent guides
Old February 24, 2013, 09:00 PM   #12
"JJ"

mquail in Germany they have a minimum caliber restriction to hunt certain animals. I believe it is a 6.5mm there making the .243 illegal.
I am not sure where jolly1 is from but I would guess that is what he is referring to.

My guest would be great to talk to as he has visited the US twice now and has hunted in several of the western Europe countries and Africa & New Zealand.
He did not bring his rifle to the either US trips but he said he could have.
If you would like you can send me a private message and I can try to put you in touch with him!

Like BigDin mentioned, a guide will be able to keep you informed of all the laws and help keep you legal! Non residents in Canada are required to use a guide.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:21 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

My English friends have hunted all over the world, including over a dozen trips to Africa. They have also hunted Canada and the Western US extensively for elk and other game. bringing in the guns isn't the problem, getting the tags, especially without the help of the guide can be a major issue
Old February 25, 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
375NE

When I looked at buying a rifle in Nevada I had a firearms license, an import license and a letter from the airline stating that I could check firearms in with them but when I went to purchase there was no one that would legally sell me one unless I was a US citizen and had a permanant address and proof such as a gas or power bill, so I went home empty handed.....was that a state or nation-wide rule?
Old February 25, 2013, 12:40 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Resident aliens can buy firearms legally in the US, including folks with a second home, foreign students, folks on work visas. Not sure about just a vacationing visitor. I can see why. I pulled up the web site of the store that bills itself as the largest in NZ - a great selection but the prices are outrageous! Nice selection of suppressors too!
Old February 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Wyoredman

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001103.aspx

http://outfitters.state.wy.us/

Hope these sites help you out.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
wooly booger

i would decide what state you want to hunt, visit the state fish and wildlife website then find a guide for the game you wish to hunt. all good outfitters will help you through the licensing processes and firearms importation laws.

If you want to hunt this fall, you need to get in gear....most western states drawings take place in spring. Montana's drawing applications need to be in by March 15.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:37 PM   #18
X_shooter

While some of the questions seem odd or even amusing. It reminds me of the many rights we enjoy here in the states. Not the case when you venture to other countries, or at least as I have read. Want to hunt in the good old USA? You just buy a gun, some ammo, a license, and enjoy yourself when the season is open. Enjoy every precious moment of it.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:28 AM   #19
jolly1

@ X shooter:

You are certainly right.
In Europe, gun owning is a privilege.
In US is a constitutional right.

In Eastern European countries, it is still considered by public to be the privilege of regime officials. (even worse then in western europe)

For majority of west European countries in reality it means that having a gun is a shared property, divided between real owner and a state. State is a "big brother" in this case which feels free to take the gun whenever he finds good enough reasons, and can do so because the constitutional rights of gun owners are not violated. Because, as mentioned above - it is not a constitutional right in the first place, unlike US.

Though, there are some exceptions.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:21 AM   #20
wooly booger

Quote:
While some of the questions seem odd or even amusing. It reminds me of the many rights we enjoy here in the states. Not the case when you venture to other countries, or at least as I have read. Want to hunt in the good old USA? You just buy a gun, some ammo, a license, and enjoy yourself when the season is open. Enjoy every precious moment of it.

you obviously haven't big game hunted in many states as a non-resident. Most states do not have over-the counter big game licenses available, especially western states for elk and other big game. Also, most states are made up of mostly private land. Are you advocating " buy a gun, some ammo, a license" and trespass?
Old March 1, 2013, 06:59 PM   #21
X_shooter

You are awesome. Your inferences can only be surpassed by your vast knowledge. Don't ever change.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:28 PM   #22
tahunua001

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if I'm recycling old info

it is incredibly complex. shipping your gun should be pretty uniform. you'll have to clear it through customs and unless it's fully automatic you should have no problems getting it cleared. ammo will be a different matter but ammo availability for most hunting cartridges, especially black powder shouldn't be a problem no matter where you go.

however each state has different hunting laws, no two states have identical laws and since there is no federal hunting license, the only way to know is to find the fish and wildlife dept from the state you plan on visiting and read the regulations yourself, they are usually pretty basic and can be quickly absorbed or referenced if needed. I'm afraid that's about the most detailed anyone can get.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Relax, wooly booger. Don't drift off any more than has already happened.