The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
njm

Kimber Stainless 2

Take it easy on me, but buyin a used kimber with very few rounds through it (2 boxes) Price is right with 1000 rounds 3 clips 2 grips. This is my first 1911. The seller is an ol friend but dont know what the pros and cons of a kimber. What im looking for i guess is any advice. i own several other guns long and short. i,ve been looking at the gun for a while, just want to know what to look for and maybe some mods, just dont know what I'm overlookin.

thanx in advance.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
arch308

Congrats on the purchase. Chances are pretty good you won't need any mods.
I suggest you shoot it with various ammo to see what it likes and if it proves to be trustworthy then consider personalizing it. My Kimber Pro CDP II will run almost anything but SWC. I have known a few Kimber owners whose guns were ammo sensitive but most have no problems.
How about some pics?
Old September 17, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
njm

Will work on that.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
RamItOne

He has 1,000 rounds to sell with it? Why did he wind up only shooting two boxes through it?
Old September 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
TacticalDefense1911

Use some green loctite on the plunger tube where it is staked to the frame; this will help keep it from coming loose. With the slide locked back push on the muzzle of the barrel; there should be at least a 1/32" gap between the bottom of the barrel throat and the top of the frame feed ramp. This sometimes does not happen on Kimber, but it is very important to have that gap for proper feeding. Also check the chamber to make sure that is not too tight; remove the barrel and drop a live round into the chamber it should go in easily and fall back out easily. If its a little snug and does not fall out freely the chamber is too tight which is another problem with some Kimbers. You need to perform an extractor test on the gun to make sure the extrator is working properly; load up two 8-round magazines for a total of 16 rounds. Load one round at a time into the gun, removing the magazine and firing the round in the gun. Repeat this till you have shot all 16 rounds. All the rounds should eject in the same direction and land in relatively the same spot. If they go all over the place then you have an extractor tension/ geometry issue. You will also want to make sure that the mag release is not capturing the magazine; press the mag release all the way down while holding the magazine in place. While continuing to hold the release down try pulling the magazine out of the mag well. If it pulls out freely you do not have a problem. If you can't pull it out the the magazine is being captured by the mag release and it will need further fitting.

As far as knowing if you gun is reliabe or not I don't like to see more then 1 failure per 1000 rounds. If you have more then one failure then something is not working properly. Remember that the majority of 1911 failures can be attributed to either the magazine or the extractor. Make sure that you get several good aftermarket magazines like Tripp Research, Chip McCormick Power Mags or Wilson Combat ETM magazines. Throw the factory mags in the trash.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
njm

He's not a shooter and travels by air on a weekly basis. I live on the farm and shoot weekly at min. He is also moving more twords Glocks.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Skavatar

have you shot it yet?

my Stainless II is a great gun. smooth action, crisp & light trigger.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:23 AM   #8
BoogieMan

I have a Stainless II target. I absolutely love mine. Accurate as any pistol and smooth as glass. If you only have a 100rds through the pipe you can expect a few minor issues from that pistol. Failure to feed, failure to lock open on last round are common until you pass the break in period. Kimber says 500-600 rds. Mine smoothed right out around 300ish and I have not had an issue yet. I am around 2000rds. 1500 of which have had ZERO issues. I like it more every time I shoot it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 18, 2012, 12:11 PM   #9
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
If you only have a 100rds through the pipe you can expect a few minor issues from that pistol. Failure to feed, failure to lock open on last round are common until you pass the break in period.
Why do people openly accept this as the norm and okay? All this is, is a poorly fitted gun from the factory. They are not so tight that they need a break-in period to work properly.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:23 PM   #10
BoogieMan

Quote:
Why do people openly accept this as the norm and okay? All this is, is a poorly fitted gun from the factory. They are not so tight that they need a break-in period to work properly
I respectfully disagree. I compared a lot of 1911's before I purchased. The fit between the slide-frame-bushing in the target kimber is much tighter than any other 1911 that I looked at. The only thing I found as close was a Dan Wesson. At $500 more I was willing to wait out the break in period. Besides I dont know as if the DW wouldnt have had similar break in period. Its not as if this happened on every magazine during breakin. Maybe a total of 6 or 8 times.
On the flip side, my buddy just bought a model 92 that had similar issues during the first 150 or so rounds. They are well noted as being trouble free.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 18, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
TacticalDefense1911

Sorry, I have not owned or handled a Kimber that has been fit as tightly as a Dan Wesson. No break-in required for the Dan Wesson. Also, just because a gun feels tight does not mean that it is tight in the right areas or equally through the fit. Compare the feel of the slide action on a Dan Wesson vs that of the tightest Kimber you can find and there will be a difference. If a gun is fit properly it will work out of the box. If these guns don't work something is out of spec or ill-fitted.
Old September 18, 2012, 02:27 PM   #12
coop2564

I also have the 10mm stainless target II, its just a great gun. I put a fastfire on it for hunting. Its got Cape buffalo bone grips.