The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 11, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Joven

Pistol grip or standard shotgun grip

Now that you guys have pointed me in the direction of a shotgun for HD, what are the advantages of a pistol grip? I plan on getting a pump with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. Any accessories that you would consider essential?
Old October 11, 2005, 09:11 AM   #2
AMT8951

Make sure you get a pistol grip butt stock, not just the pistol grip. Those pistol grip "Cruisers" are not very practical for most applications. As far as pistol grip vs. straight grip, it's really a case of personal preference. Some say a pistol grip gun is eaiser to retain and control, and that it's eaiser on the wrist for long term use. As for accessories, maybe try a good set of sights, and a weapons light. In reality, any decent HD shotgun (Rem, Mossberg, Win, FN) should be good to go right out of the box.
Old October 11, 2005, 09:25 AM   #3
azspyder

I concur with AMT. I have an 870 with a ShockStox which has a Piston grip built in. I like the recoil reduction and adjustability of the shoulder stock. For me, the pistol grip makes the gun easier to handle...I also have a pistolgrip forend. I feel a light is crucial and I have a laser which I like, but is not crucial, just nice to have. Hope this helps.
Old October 11, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joven
Now that you guys have pointed me in the direction of a shotgun for HD, what are the advantages of a pistol grip? I plan on getting a pump with a 18 or 20 inch barrel. Any accessories that you would consider essential?
A pistol grip on a shotgun is really a matter of your home defense strategy. If you are planning on hunkering down in your safe room and don't have to worry about getting others into the safe room, a pistol grip is less important. If you plan to clear the house, a pistol grip greatly reduces the length of the shotgun while improving manuverability. There is also less gun for an assailant to get there hands on if they get the jump on you. The only drawback is full powered loads are hard on the wrists with a pistol grip.

I have an Remington 870 buy I left the shoulder stock on. The shotty is primarily for my wife who is about 100 lbs. soaking wet. I told her to get behind the bed and use it to prop up the shotgun. A full power load would probably snap her wrist with a pistol grip. I also told her to brace against the wall to help with the recoil. I told her to rack the shotgun and yell a warning. If the door opens up despite the warning, I told her to shoot first and then ask questions later.

AMT8951 also made some good points about some accesories such as a tactical light. You might even be able to use it as an aiming device. The Surefire lights have concentrated beams that don't spread too wide. If you measure the spread of your shotgun with different loads, your tactical light can almost be used as a laser. Besides, it helps to identify who you are shooting at. Besides, the light from those Surefires will temporarily blind an attacker if their eyes are adjusted to the dark. They will have a much harder time shooting what they can't see. Good luck and I hope you never need to use your shotty in self defense.
Old October 11, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5
The British Soldier

Remington 870

Get yourself a Remington 870 Magnum with an rifle-sighted 18" or 20" barrel, add the magazine extension kit and put a pistol grip kit on it with a folding butt [if legal] or a choate polymer type.
Load it up with something that won't go through the walls of your house - may I suggest you discover this load by asking someone because your wife will use the shotgun on you if you blast a 00 Buck across the living room!
Give that foresight a spot of luminous paint, or even correction fluid works well, and pray that you are never placed in the position of having to find out if you have the courage to use it.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old October 11, 2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

There are few, if any, advantages to a shotgun with just a pistol grip and no buttstock.

They're difficult to shoot effectively and accurately.
Old October 11, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Ramcharger

If you shoot one with the pistol grip only set up you'll be sorry
Old October 11, 2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've fired quite a few rounds of buckshot out of a pistol grip only equipped shotgun in years past.

It's certainly not pleasant, but there are some things that you can do to reduce the recoil.

One is keep your wrist locked solid, and use your elbow and shoulder as recoil absorbers. Think of them acting as a piston.
Old October 11, 2005, 03:18 PM   #9
AMT8951

I saw a show about the U.S. Marshall's on the Discovery Channell a few years back. It showed marshalls using shot guns with really short barrels and pistol grips. The gun only looked to be about 12in long, and couldn't of held more than two rds (+1 in chamber). They were using them while providing security for a judge who'd recieved some death threats. The show never got into why these guns were chosen for that particular assignment. You'd think an UZI (like the Secret Service used to use) or an MP5 would be more partical and more concealable.

They never said who made the gun, but It looked a lot like this. Sebru Super Shotty

Old October 11, 2005, 08:28 PM   #10
BobK

What AMT says.
Old October 11, 2005, 11:20 PM   #11
Blind Tree Frog

The Super Shorty. YAY!!!

anyhow, do they make thumbhole stocks for shotguns? For some reason I always liked the looks of them on rifles
Old October 11, 2005, 11:41 PM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you shoot one with the pistol grip only set up you'll be sorry
Not really. I have an 870-P with factory folding stock and pistol grip, and I installed a front pistol grip, along with a tac light and a laser sight. I fire several hundred rounds a year of 00 buck and slugs at both silhouette and Hogan's Alley with the stock folded and have no problems doing it. In fact, I often shoot 5 quick rounds with the dept's Mossberg 500's one-handed to show the young guys that it can be done, should one arm be injured. The trick is a very tight grip and the forearm aligned with and in contact with the stock. You also have to give some with the kick. It's only slightly uncomfortable. We call these guns hallway guns, and while they may not have much practical use otherwise, they're great at just that: hallways and tight quarters. Sweeping with it is much quicker than with a full stock.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 12, 2005, 07:17 AM   #13
zejs1

I found the pistol grip 12 gauge Mossberg Cruiser to be extremely uncomfortable to shoot with 00 buck. The low recoil buckshot is probably better, but I ditched the PG instead of trying it.
Old October 12, 2005, 10:08 AM   #14
smince

Pistol grip only is like having a large, 12ga pistol. It is not very comfortable, or even controlable unless you practice/train A LOT. I carried one for several years, then went to a pistol grip/buttstock. Difference is night and day.

Pistol grip buttstock combo's do have one disadvantage. Anything sticking down can and will catch on objects.

Standard buttstock may just be the best possibility.

This is my current SGN:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870.jpg (96.9 KB, 88 views)
Old October 12, 2005, 02:07 PM   #15
sreising

Personally, for HD, and as a woman, if using a shotgun, I prefer the pistol-gripped riot style. It's a little heavier and of course longer than a shorty, but easier to grab for me beside the bed.

As far as not going through the walls.....you know, as long as I know everyone is in position within the house during an attack or if I'm home alone, I don't really much care if the slug goes through the walls. In fact, I'd feel safer if it does. Mine is loaded bird, slug, slug, buck, buck, bird, slug.
Bird to weaken the sheetrock. Slug slug for direct penetration. Buck, buck to subdue and go for the kill. Bird and slug if the SHTF and I'm stupid enough not to get him with the first 5 rounds.

Sheetrock can be replaced. Lives cannot. I'd rather have a wall seperating me from the perp that I know my shots can get through to either slow or stop the perp, then be standing eye to eye in a showdown. may be more exciting, but a lot less safe in my eyes.

Shan
Old October 12, 2005, 08:25 PM   #16
john in jax

Like a couple of others before me I got to put a plug in for the mounted flashlight and maybe even a laser sight. The flashlight is essential in a pitch black house, and I know it is a scattergun, but a laser would give you just another plus when your trying to get the sleep out of your eyes.
Old October 13, 2005, 01:09 PM   #17
somethingmustdie

Hey Over Here!!!!!

I have just finished writing a review for the new tamer grip by hogue. It's like the grip on the smith and wesson 500. There is a soft squishy part that touches the web of your hand. Reduces recoil greatly. The days of hard plastic grips are over.

As far as shooting it accurately. It makes the shotgun swing whimsically. If you know your tactics and train/practice with it (none of that from the hip ****) the shotty will start to feel just like a big handgun. It can be used super effectively in close quarters. I've used it on an 870p 18" and it is great.
I will post the link to the review when the site is done (hopefully next week)...
Old October 13, 2005, 01:43 PM   #18
sendec

I think it is important to make clear what we are talking about: a pistol grip only shotgun, or one with a pistol grip buttstock. I dont have much use for a PG only gun, though I suppose that there are some specialized niches they may fill like breaching or in a vehicle.

The pistol grip buttstock I can take or leave. One of my guns has one because when it was built I saw that there was a distinct possibility it would be used one-handed while mounted, but even then any real benefit was small. It probably makes the gun easier to retain in a fight.

I'd probably rather spend my money on practice ammo.
Old October 13, 2005, 04:26 PM   #19
smince

Another minus for the PG-only: If you don't have a reasonable amount of arm/upper-body strength, it is easy for the shotgun to come back into your mouth when aimed at eye-level. I'm not sure if the Tamer grip would help in this aspect. I've seen it happen many times with smaller-statured individuals.

I think this is why hip-shooting became so prevalent with PG-only SGN's.

Last edited by smince; October 14, 2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old October 14, 2005, 12:13 PM   #20
somethingmustdie

im 6ft and 160lbs.