The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2023, 06:02 AM   #1
stagpanther

electronic trigger?

MDT now makes an electronic trigger--programmable and rechargeable. I've never though of that--should be interesting.
Old February 5, 2023, 10:12 AM   #2
GlenF

Great idea. Now you can update your computer as well as your trigger to prevent a hacker getting in.
Old February 5, 2023, 10:48 AM   #3
stagpanther

LOL--be interesting to see if it catches on. MDT makes good stuff in general.
Old February 5, 2023, 08:34 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

A rechargeable electronic trigger..... What could possibly go wrong. Better not shuffle your feet on carpet while wearing socks and holding the gun.
Old February 6, 2023, 02:35 AM   #5
stagpanther

MDT has a pretty good reputation and I don't think they would waste their time on tacticoollio kitsch; should be pretty quick whether or not this grabs hold or fails. If it helps improveme precision shooting by even a minuscule margin--probably will have a market would be my guess.
Old February 6, 2023, 02:17 PM   #6
DaleA

Very interesting!
I suspect, without the mechanical limitations of sears and hammers and stuff (although they are, of course, still there) you could make the trigger feel to be whatever you wanted with whatever weight you wanted.

BUT:

You have to be prepared for all the jokes and needles that would come your way.
"New meaning to 'The Blue Screen of Death'."
"So, how many times have you had to unplug the trigger and plug it back in again to get it working?"
"Been on the phone line to tech support much?"
"Do you have to enter your password before shooting?"
"Does the trigger notify the ATF and send your GPS coordinates to them every time you fire the gun?"

Remington tried this some time ago, here's a 2004 article:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec.../a211/1277311/

and I'm pretty sure I remember an Olympic level .22LR or air pistol using one but I can't find a reference to it.

Also the electronic trigger might be the answer to a common criticism of bullpup triggers with there long mechanical trains. Here's a Youtube article about one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXw_nPtnhQ

Good luck and keep us informed, I'm sure technology has made significant advancements/improvements since the guns I've mentioned.
Old February 6, 2023, 03:39 PM   #7
stagpanther

I think my days of being on the bleeding edge as a "early adaptor" are over--the frequencies of failures and costs have finally convinced me I need to wait a year or two before trying something new--let someone else bleed, in other words.
Old February 6, 2023, 03:50 PM   #8
MarkCO

It is interesting. I have read about it, even saw it at SHOT.

I have no questions because I still am not sure what to ask. Certainly, the method of ignition and interface is something to be contemplated and tried by folks in the know.

I can see some ELR stuff where something could be done. Match grade precision triggers today are so good that I am not sure there is much to be gained other than delayed ignition and elimination of fouling (failure) that solid state could correct. To on those two fronts, it will take a lot of time to tell.
Old February 6, 2023, 05:31 PM   #9
LeverGunFan

The Remington EtronX replaced the sear, firing pin spring and firing pin with an all electronic system that used special primers that were electronically activated. That required a special rifle with the EtronX system installed, as far as I know there was not a retrofit kit available for existing 700 rifles.

The MDT trigger appears to be compatible with existing 700 pattern rifles, retaining the sear and firing pin arrangement. That would be a potential market of several million Model 700 rifles in circulation, a much better business model.

Never saw a Remington 700 Etronx rifle, ammo or any primers; seems doubtful that the primers are still available.
Old February 8, 2023, 10:57 AM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
Great idea. Now you can update your computer as well as your trigger to prevent a hacker getting in.
You’re good. Only wired communication that is unplugged in use! That is what screws people up….wireless communication with a near open door policy! aka Jeep, Microsoft, etc.

I can see it in PRS. Good idea to separate the pull from the break. Still lots to work on from a feel and lock time side. Can’t wait to see at NRA.
Old February 8, 2023, 02:26 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I experimented with simple electromechanical triggers in the 1980s after noticing the feel of the click of a Microswitch paddle was about all you could ask for in crispness. The rest was just a battery, capacitor, current limiting resistor a small solenoid to operate the sear on one of my Feinwerkbau air rifles. It was doable, but it wasn't truly "electronic" at that point in time; merely electric.

The Europeans and others have made a number of electric and electronic triggers. Lots of Olympic competitors have used them as well. They've also shown up in oddball places, as this article from 2014 describes (video from 2016 gives you a better look inside).

So the MDT is a new-fashioned variation on this old idea. If I understand their description correctly, they are probably using a piezoresistive pressure switch, so you get no click or other tripping feel and no perceptible trigger movement. Old discussions of these gadgets would seem to indicate many find them no better than good mechanical triggers as far as shootability goes. The programmable features in the MDT may have some new utility. Be fun to try one, but it's not at the top of my bucket list.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 9, 2023, 08:25 PM   #12
Scorch

Electrical triggers have been around for a couple of decades, mostly used by benchresters because of the light trigger pulls available. Remington's E-Tron was an electrically-fired cartridge, totally different. My problem with electrical anything in guns is reliability. If it's a range toy it really doesn't matter much, but if you're in the field a failure can be a major event.
Old February 12, 2023, 02:37 PM   #13
stinkeypete

this is now standard high end competition stuff
https://waltherarms.com/ssp-e-right-m
Old February 13, 2023, 02:25 AM   #14
veprdude

Pull the electronic trigger 30 times. Load your favorite mag. Enjoy.
Old May 31, 2023, 03:29 PM   #15
John Stimson

High Standard produed a few freel pistols with electric triggers in 1960.

https://www.histandard.info/EFP/S1961Y204P.pdf

Old June 1, 2023, 06:22 PM   #16
zukiphile

Breathe.
Sling up.
Check for natural point of aim. Adjust. Check again. Good.
Settle the reticle on the center of the target.
Let out half a breath, and press....
BLUE CIRCLE OF DEATH!!
Reboot.

Repeat.
Old June 2, 2023, 09:36 AM   #17
gwpercle

As if the Remington 700 EtronX wasn't a big belly flop ... came out in 2000 dropped in 2003 . Electric trigger (switch) and primers ignited by electric charge ... it had a smooth trigger (switch ) and super fast lock time but sales were more than lackluster .
Also finding ammo and / or electric primers for reloading was a problem .
Most people have never heard or seen one !
Gary
Old June 2, 2023, 11:21 AM   #18
Jim Watson

EtronX primers are available here and there for $350 a thou, which is not a Covid inflated price, they have always been that high or nearly so.