The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 17, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
WV_gunner

Value Priced Revolver for CC

Anyone have any recommendations for a revolver for CC? I don't care if it's double or single action. I'd really like a Blackhawk in .45 colt. I really like the Rugers because you don't need to pull the hammer back to load and they are extremely nice guns. I have a 50th anniversary and love it. But I'm open to other guns. I'd consider the imported guns too, but as long as they have a good reputation. I don't want some junk blowing up in my face. I might get a .357 so it'll be cheaper to practice with. I might possibly consider a .38 as long as it's +p. I'm just looking for any suggestions and any help is appreciated. Recoil does not matter either and I don't want a bulky gun.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
gunluver

You say it's for CC and you like Ruger? Get an SP101 (all steel) in .357, either snubnose or 3" barrel. Or try the LCR, much lighter and available in .38+p or .357

I carry a LCR quite a bit
Old February 17, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
RedBowTies88

Single action for CC?

Anyway back to sanity, I vote LCR. very good DA trigger. or if you prefer an exposed hammer (I do) Like was said the sp101 would work great.

If you're looking for more bang for your buck tarus has some very reasonably priced snubs as does charter.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
ClayInTx

The Rugar LCR is a good one. No hammer to snag. Light enough and small enough to pocket carry. Available in 38+P or 357.

Because of these characteristics it will become the gun which is always with you without having to think about your dressing for that day or how to tuck it inside or should you wear a jacket.

Similar guns by other makers are just as good for CC.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
qqq1

I carry my LCR every day loaded with hornady critical defense. Easy to carry and I feel confident in the gun and ammo. When I'm not at work and have my winter jacket on my S&W66 fits perfectly in the inside breast pocket as well.

My mom traded in a pocket S&W for an LCR after trying mine out.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

Value priced?,,,

Charter Arms, Undercover, Blue steel, DAO

There are lots of fine guns you could choose,,,
This is American made, practical,,,
Very good quality build,,,
And inexpensive.

MSRP is only $326.00

budsgunshop.com has it right now for only $286.00,,,
in my book that's very hard to beat.

JMnsHO

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 17, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
dalegribble

good reputation?
value priced?
no junk?

pick one.
and quit trying to start a fight!
Old February 17, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Nathan

Taurus 85
Old February 17, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
kinggabby

And as always I will suggest a Taurus. The 617 is a good gun for a good price. And if you can find one used just follow the steps for checking out a used firearm . And you might even find a great deal. All the choices mentioned are good. I like Charter Arms, S&W , Ruger as well as Taurus. IMHO all four are great. Partly depends on what you are willing or able to spend. But the only thing I will add to this is... Fondle as many as you can to see what fits in your hand. You will be the one who has to decide on what you will end up with. Check the forums for those specific gun manufactures. There you will get a better idea about what the people who own them think.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums
http://smith-wessonforum.com/
http://rugerforum.net/
http://www.handgunforum.net/forum.php I believe the last one is for Charter Arms .

Last edited by kinggabby; February 17, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Still learning to count
Old February 17, 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
afone1

Quote:
might possibly consider a .38 as long as it's +p. I'm just looking for any suggestions and any help is appreciated. Recoil does not matter either and I don't want a bulky gun.
S&W 642 is what I got. Great light weight, quality 38+P hammer-less DOA revolver. The price is way less than an LCR. Also has no internal lock and a lifetime warranty.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Might want to reconsider the single action for CCW. Billy The Kid, and Jessie James are long gone!

Quality for the price, light weight, easily concealed. Ruger LCR.
If you want something that makes a bigger hole than the 38 or 357, then consider a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Spcl.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 17, 2012, 07:20 PM   #12
WV_gunner

Charter Arms and the S&W J are guns I'd be interested in.

Last edited by WV_gunner; February 17, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Charter Arms and the S&W 642 are guns I'd be interested in.
Quote:
but as long as they have a good reputation.
The Smith & Wesson would have a better reputation than the Charter Arms. However, the newest versions from Charter seem to have been decent by most reports. Interesting that you don't mention the Ruger LCR as one you would be interested in after you already stated you liked Rugers.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 17, 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
WV_gunner

I like the Ruger BLackhawk series because of the way they load compared to other single actions. That doesn't mean I like all of their guns. I don't care for the LCR's price, and I'd like a hammer. The J series with a hammer can be had for much cheaper. The charter arms guns don't seem to be too bad either, but I'd like to handle them first and I don't know of a local dealer that sells anything other than their .22s.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:29 PM   #15
ClayInTx

If you’re going to carry concealed—

An SD situation where it’s evident you need to draw will likely require getting your gun out and able to quickly fire it if it comes to that. And you will consider SA?

You have the gun tucked away somewhere hidden by clothing, IWB, OWB, pocket? And you want a hammer?

Oh well.
Old February 18, 2012, 03:40 AM   #16
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
An SD situation where it’s evident you need to draw will likely require getting your gun out and able to quickly fire it if it comes to that. And you will consider SA?

You have the gun tucked away somewhere hidden by clothing, IWB, OWB, pocket? And you want a hammer?
Firing a few rounds from a single action revolver isn't something you have to dedicate an afternoon to. In fact, a lot of people can do it quite quickly. And if carried IWB or OWB, a hammer really isn't a problem. It really only becomes an issue with pocket carry.

I myself would consider the Charter. They're cheap guns that work, made by a company that backs them up. If it gets lost, stolen, or confiscated it wouldn't be a tremendous loss.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:03 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

For concealed carry, I'd suggest any of the Smith & Wesson snubs, I carry an Airweight 637, or a Ruger SP101. Either of those guns would make a great CCW options.

I'd steer clear of a single action and gun chambered in .38 or .357 should be enough gun for self defense.
Old February 18, 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Doug S

S&W 642 IMO is the absolute best value for the money in a CCW revolver.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old February 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #19
WV_gunner

Went to the local dealer, I compared guns and I really like the feel of the Rossi revolvers. It's the same gun as a Taurus but $20 cheaper and the Rossi is polished. Probably the one I'll get.
Old February 18, 2012, 05:54 PM   #20
dalegribble

"I really like the feel of the Rossi revolvers. It's the same gun as a Taurus but $20 cheaper and the Rossi is polished. Probably the one I'll get. "

i have 2 s&w 38 snubs, 1 taurus 357 mod 605 and a rossi 357. rossi is owned/made by taurus. my taurus is a smaller and lighter 5 shot model, the rossi is a larger heavier and 6 shot 357. the smaller and lighter s&w and taurus are great guns but i really like my rossi, it is larger and heavier and a 6 shot gun. it helps some with the recoil. rossi a good choice imho.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Doug S

Not to be negative, and I'm certainly not blindly loyal to any brand, but just a word of warning to you...I've purchased 7 Taurus guns, 5 of which have required trips back to the factory. The factory always took a month or two to return, and then usually the gun wasn't fixed. What I've written is just a fact of my experience. Obviously I had no bias against Taurus or I wouldn't have bought so many of them. That said, I no longer buy Taurus. I've only had experience with one Rossi, which belonged to a friend. It broke on us one day at the range. I've not seen or experienced any problems with a variety of S&W or Ruger revolvers. Go with the Rossi if that's what you want, but don't be surprised if when it's all said and done, you've got just as much invested in the Rossi, and you're still looking for a reliable CCW revolver. I'd spend the extra $50-$100 and go with a Smith/Ruger. When you go to a shop and look at guns, most are going to appear and feel like good guns, but it's not appearances that matter. What's going to work, and work over the long run is what matters.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old February 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Microgunner

I purchased a S&W BG38 for this very reason. It's rated for .38SPL+P, it's lightweight, has a laser on board from the factory, hammerless (a must for concealed carry), is very easy to shoot and affordable. I've been very satisfied so far.

Old February 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #23
kinggabby

Quote:
I've purchased 7 Taurus guns, 5 of which have required trips back to the factory.
It amazes me that if someone has as many problems they claim to have had why would they keep buying the same brand. With that said I would not trust any advise you offer on either buying or not buying any brand.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:56 PM   #24
wayneinFL

No one's mentioned Rossi yet. I've been happy with every Rossi I've owned.
Old February 18, 2012, 07:31 PM   #25
WV_gunner

I own a Rossi Circuit Judge and it's been amazingly good gun, my dad has owned a few Rossi singleshots with no problems, and my buddy has one of their and with no problems. So I'm not against buying one of their guns. And the owner of the store had said he has no problems with that model or the Taurus versions. I do appreciate all of the help from this thread.