The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2006, 06:12 PM   #1
bmartin165

CZ Dan Wesson 1911 ???

I am thinking about purchasing the Dan Wesson Bobtail in 45acp. I wanted to get some personal reviews and info on the pistol. How reliable is it out of the box? What problems have you had or haven't had? How accurate are you with it in comparison to other comparable weapons. If you have some pics they would be greatly appreciated (I would really like to see the mag well in particular). Also what is the difference in the Dan Wesson before CZ? Is there any difference in the craftsmanship? If so which is the better pistol in your opinion.

Thanks
bmartin165
Old July 10, 2006, 07:38 PM   #2
ruger101

cz 1911 dan wesson???

hello bmartin, i have one and waited almost 15 months.... and wow a class act and what a shooter for a commander! i bought two commander size 1911s that day the dan wesson and a lightwieght colt commander and wish i bought two dan wesson right after i opened the box! the colt was a POS and i proved it whithin 56 rounds of hardball 230.....the ambi-safetyBROKE! hit my chest and under chin flying!dealer gave me a hard time because i wanted to send it back to colt,said iT would never be back for summers end,right.said would send it to a local smith.fixed it in two weeks and had the balls to charge me another 50 bucks! ANYWAY the dan wesson bobtail is blessing!i love it and have faith it it more than any gun i own,it pushed the cz75compact to the side for now,that also is a keeper.the only problem i did not like and i did it with a dremel buffer and white rouge is polish that ramp up a little for hydro-shoks and feeds great now!YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED buy it if you can,SOLID AND TIGHT! TREF
Old July 11, 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
270Win

Side question: Did you pay the 50 bucks?

I would NEVER go to that dealer again, either way.
Old July 11, 2006, 09:42 AM   #4
ruger101

cz dan wesson 1911

270win. yeh i did,he knew i was pissed,and yur right thats is no more after all the business i gave him over the years too,right out the door because a hair across his butt! have a good day , tref
Old July 11, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
czf

As stated, they do tend to come very tight from DW. Mine would sometimes fail to close completely when hand cycled.

In fairness, I did hand cycle the action about 100 times in the week prior
to the Range.

Mine has been very reliable and is more accurate than I can shoot it.
In my test of 150 rounds, I only had one malfunction, an oversized round
which was quickly cleared.

At 15 yards from standing and unsupported position..the gun had a tendency to shoot Snake Eyes,, that is..put two shots close together or touching.

After 20 years of being without a 1911, I wasn't used to the trigger at all.
I hope to improve the next time out when I test Double Tap Ammo's 185 gr.
load.

More CBOB pics.http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/CBOB.html
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Old July 11, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
Vic303

Suggest you check out the Dan Wesson forum at 1911forum.com for the most info on DW.
Old July 11, 2006, 04:31 PM   #7
bobhwry

CZ makes excellent firearms so their aquisition of Dan Wesson is a plus not a negative!
Old July 11, 2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Very nice 45s...and the tens are nice too..they trickle into us about once a month. Just got two more and I love em.

WildnicegunsAlaska
Old July 11, 2006, 07:37 PM   #9
rellascout

I own a CZ vintage Bobtail in 45.

It is one sweet pistol for the money. I got a good deal on one locally a while back. It feels great in the hand and shoots like a dream. Lots of premium parts on these bad boys. The fact it is a 70 series gun is also nice. Nice tight fit but not too tight. I have not had a failure yet with about 300 down the pipe so far.

The Commander Classic Bobtail is a 4.25” series 70 style, commander sized 1911 featuring a stainless steel frame and forged stainless steel slide. Like all Dan Wesson 1911s, Commander models incorporate top quality parts from the best names in the industry.

· Round top slide with fixed 3 dot tritium night sights
· Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
· Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing
· 20 LPI checkered front strap
· Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
· Beveled magwell
· All sharp edges dehorned by hand
· Lowered and flared ejection port
· Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
· Ed Brown slide stop
· Tactical, extended thumb safety
· Commander style match hammer
· Match grade sear
· Aluminum trigger with stainless bow
· Extended serrated magazine catch
· Wolff springs used exclusively
· Diamond checkered coco-bolo grips
· Tuned, machined, internal extractor
· Test fired for reliability
· 34 ounces unloaded

The only issue that came up was the rear sight was walking on me. I talked this the techs over at Dan Wesson and he walked me through peening the sight. It now fits tight and is good to go.

They can be had for around $800 depending where you are in the country.

One downside the Dan Wesson line is that Bob Serva and many of the previous designers are gone. The people left at CZ/DW are still very skilled and are putting out nice pistols and their service is top notch as I noted earlier.

On a side note keep an eye out for Fusion Pistols in the future. That is Bob Servas new company and if it is anything like the 1911 produced he produced while at DW they should be nice.

In short buy it!!!!!!!!!
Old July 15, 2006, 04:49 PM   #10
bmartin165

Thanks for all of the pics and advice. I am still trying to figure out what I want. I just don't want to be dissapointed with my purchase.