The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1
KevK.

S&W 5904

I've found a used 5904 at a local shop. The lower frame being the alloy has wear, some of the finish has worn off around the edges. The internals seem to be in excellant shape. The decocker/safety works, the magazine safety works, and they drop freely. The bore is bright with good groves. It comes with (2) 14 round 9mm mags. The frame is/was a black finish, the slide was steel (not sure if it was polished stainless or a matt finish.

Is it worth a pick up? I know the all steel 5906s are built like tanks, but are there any reliability issues? I know the finish on the frames was an issue when it was not taken care of, but that's just cosmetic. I might even be able to have it refinished.

Price under $300.

Thanks for any input.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
egor20

Grab it, and giggle all the way out the door. Excellent price for a great weapon.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 10, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
The frame is/was a black finish, the slide was steel (not sure if it was polished stainless or a matt finish.
It should have a matte bead-blast blue finish.
Quote:
Price under $300.
RUN, don't walk, back to that shop!

Also, FYI, any S&W 59-series mag should work in this pistol, along with the (admittedly uncommon) 20rd extended mags made for the 9mm Marlin Camp Carbine. Although the recent run on >10rd mags has cleaned out most new magazines from the big sellers, I noticed at a recent big gun show that 59-series mags COULD be found if you're willing to sift through the stacks of random used and often unlabeled mags at the individual vendor tables. (I was looking for mags for another pistol and happened to notice numerous 59-series mags while I was doing it.) IOW you CAN find mags for this pistol if you are willing to hunt for them.

Last edited by carguychris; January 10, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: I --> It, d'oh!
Old January 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
KevK.

Thanks for the input guys. There a local gunshow this weekend 1st of the season, so I'll take a look for some mags.

Old January 10, 2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Rmart30

I saw 5906's on one of the gun sites a cpl of days ago for either $329 or 359.
I have had a 5946 since it was new and I dont think it will ever wear out.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Skans

I guess I'll be the nay-sayer here. But, before I do, that price is good for the gun in question! The older S&W alloy frames get ugly really fast. I've not heard of any catastrophic breaks, but every one I've looked at seems like it is stained, gouged, scratched, and worn beyond its years. Doesn't affect function, but it bothers me. I do like the 2nd and 3rd gen S&W all stainless autos. I have a 659 that I would never sell - looks about new, but could never get what I think that gun is really worth.