The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
SPEMack618

And it starts.

Bought my duck stamp, printed off a new copy of my current license(got a little wet last year), and called Pops three times already asking him to check the lights on the boat trailer, dig out my waders, and make sure the registation numbers are still readable.

One of my Fraternity Brothers and I are going duck hunting, my first time for this year, next saturday and I can't wait. Hope to be able to post to "LIVE! From the stand." if possible.

There's something special about the first hunt of the year, getting out there, coming back, hopefully cleaning som ducks, and then going home and fall asleep while watching Southern play on TV. Only got to make it through another week of classes and a stat exam.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

Sounds like you're geared up and ready to go. I haven't gone duck hunting in quite a few years but definitely miss it. I've been thinking of taking the kayak out and taking it down in to the swamp some this year.....have to see how my back holds up as deer season continues. Be safe and have fun

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 8, 2012, 11:40 PM   #3
sc outdoorsman

Good luck with hunting and school. Be sure school comes first and everything is good.

I have a daughter and son graduating this year. College and high school respectively, so I have first hand knowledge of my advice.

I understand the anxiousness involved with opening day. It happens to me every deer season. It makes the actual hunt that much better.

I hope the ducks are plentiful and your aim is true.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

One of these years...
Old November 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #5
SPEMack618

Well, just woke up from my post hunt nap.

Didn't see anything, but heard a flock of something, just couldn't get them to commit.

Despite honest efforts, my live from the stand dreams were dashed by lack of service despite the new cell phone tower perched precariously on one side of the pond.

Aside from nearly drowning Lee and I both by forgeting to ensure the boat plug waas in place, it was a good hunt with a good friend and some of my big sisters good biscuits 'n bacon when we got back.

Going again out tomorrow before church hopefully.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
SPEMack618

Just got back from what will be my last hunt this season, unless something opens up before Christmas.

As Dave McCracken would have said, I was a skybuster today. Two wood ducks flew over, no more than ten-twenty feet above our hunting spot and my partner and I both missed with all three shots.

To add insult to injury, had to make my own biscuits this morning too.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
12GaugeShuggoth

Ouch. Sorry for the luck, or lack there-of. That's just how she rolls sometimes though......

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 21, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8
SPEMack618

it was mind boggling. I'm not the best wing shooter by a long shot, but the muzzle of my Benelli was nearly touching the dang bird and I still missed all three times.

In a way though, I was just happy to see some duck, it vindicated a fair amount of work I've put into that spot though.

However, my sister refusing to make biscuits was simply unacceptable. I had company over after all.