The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 7, 2011, 03:50 PM   #76
sirsloop

ghetto skeet
Old March 7, 2011, 04:08 PM   #77
oneounceload

Quote:
Bigjimp and oneounceshot there both Mr. know it all.
It seems, in this instance, we just might be - at least compared to your ideas of the game.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:46 PM   #78
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieman33
I put this post up to let people now how fun it was to skeet shoot with a Saiga 12 and what happens my post got bashed.
You got bashed because you bragged about violating the basic safety rules of Skeet. Why do we refer to the rules of Skeet, because you labeled the thread Skeet Shooting With Saiga 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieman33
The officer used the 10 round when everybody was done just to see if he could hit 10 skeets in a row none stop.

Bigjimp and oneounceshot there both Mr. know it all. there right and every body else is wrong. so sense i can't call it skeet what should I call it throwing lead a orange painted clay circles.
My friends BigJimP and Oneounceload definitely know more than you, and some of the others, about shooting sports safely rules. They also know the difference between targets and "skeets" (and the difference between a circle and a disc). What we have is a failure to communicate. Skeet is a proper noun and describes a specific shotgun sport, it's not used to describe the clay targets. When you shoot pool do you call the balls "pools"? Or, when bowling, do you call the pins "bowlings"? It seems this entire controversy was instigated by your incorrect word selection. Perhaps, had the thread been titled, Fun with with a Saiga 12 you wouldn't have been bashed, and others wouldn't have been sucked into unnecessary controversy.
Old March 7, 2011, 05:39 PM   #79
Marrok

Zippy, even if it was titled "fun with saiga 12", if he mentioned he did skeet shooting with it, you guys would still bash him for it.

If he was doing an actual event, I would say you guys are in the clear about it. But he did mention it was for fun/ a game, NOT a true skeet shoot.

Iam pretty sure Iam going to leave this forum, people on other forums rejoiced and think it was an awesome idea. No one bashed him for having fun, so if I were too go out with friends skeet shooting with a Saiga 12 and posted about it you guys would probably bash me the same way.

Just when you think you find a civilized place to talk guns, you find a bunch of *******s who love to talk ****.

consider this my goodbye.
Old March 7, 2011, 05:52 PM   #80
Recoiljunky

I'm still on rottiemans side, but for you other two don't you think you should educate instead of bashing someone. I even would of called it shooting skeet too. just how I call it shooting 5stand when I have the guy throw 5 different clays true.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:03 PM   #81
krimmie

I shoot skeet and sporting clays at a Public range, they do not allow barrels under 24".
Old March 7, 2011, 06:14 PM   #82
rottieman33

Its doesn't matter how I word it. If one of you guys started to read it would of gone down hill from there.You guys are going by the "OFFICIAL RULE BOOK OF SKEET" I have said more then once I was shooting a hybrid game of skeet.What is wrong with changing the game up a little bit and every one is ok with it and every body is shooting safe. When I shoot skeet/trap I am just in competition with my self. Yes I am not following the the "Official" rules of skeet but ever one had fun and went home safe. Like oneounceload said it all has to do with safety. The game was play with all the safety rules still in place, no loaded guns until your turn to shoot, gun pointed down range when loaded,and bolt open and gun empty before leaving station. The range I go to is open to the public so they my let people get away with a little bit more cause from what I have read it seams the range you guys go to is a Members Only Club thats why i think the rule book of skeet keeps popping up. I do have to say that some times what people type in here may be read wrong and people take it the wrong way and then it becomes a brawl.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:33 PM   #83
oneounceload

Actually, I shoot at several public/member clubs. Are there times when someone decides to shoot nothing but doubles on the skeet field? Yep - (it is also a legal game). I could care less if you want to do things differently, as long as you follow safety protocols - which is where the 2 rounds - no more - comes from

If you are safe, and that club has no issue with you loading 4 rounds at a time, then have at it. That has never been allowed on any skeet field at any club - public or private - I have shot at. Now do they occasionally have 3-shot shoots on the 5-stand? Yep, and everyone is given the safety talk, etc as the only guns capable are pumps or semis - again, no biggie if things are done safely.
Old March 7, 2011, 06:53 PM   #84
Recoiljunky

Nope it's only a single, 2shots report, and 2 shots true at each station bit that but the range officers will throw whatever you want "after you prove to them you can handle the gun safely and are atleast desently skilled" you pay to shoot the 25 pigeons so you cam shoot them however you want.
Old March 7, 2011, 07:06 PM   #85
zippy13

rottieman33,
In post #54, I mentioned the club had a large sign board with their rules clearly spelled out. I've never been to a range that didn't have such safety signs, or hand-outs. The club safety rules are usually the same as the safety rules for Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays national competition. If your local club doesn't have any standing safety rules, then you might be better off training is a stubble field.

If some of us come on a little strong about gun safety it's because we've been long time members of clubs where every member is a safety officer and that carries over to the forum. For those of you who have mentioned that you just leave a field when you have safety concerns, if it happens again, please take the time to inform the RM or RSO.
Old March 7, 2011, 07:12 PM   #86
rottieman33

If i saw some one shooting from the roof of the skeet house I would find the range master. Cause that is just stupid
Old March 7, 2011, 07:55 PM   #87
oneounceload

Quote:
If i saw some one shooting from the roof of the skeet house I would find the range master. Cause that is just stupid
NOW you're beginning to understand where we have been coming from all along........
Old March 7, 2011, 09:36 PM   #88
minnpatriot

Nice work rottie, its a sad day when some gunowners turn out to be liberty hating folks. The 2nd amendment if for all to enjoy in thier own legal way. Skeet with a pump or semi auto......your damn right thats a legal way to enjoy your gun rights.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:44 PM   #89
oneounceload

Since when does being safe with a gun and following established safety protocols mean someoine is anti-gun?

YOUR misguided attempt is just the ammunition the antis LOVE to read in places like this - keep it up, you're hurting the cause of all gun owners with irresponsible comments/actions/behaviors
Old March 7, 2011, 09:45 PM   #90
frick74

Wow, never felt the need to register, until now.

This thread reminds me why I have never joined a formal gun club of any type, not to mention, why I quit golfing.

It was always the guy with the Pings, and the most expensive balls, that would jump up and shout, every time I moved a ball 6 inches to get it off a rock.

And inevitably, I would catch them moving the ball six feet, if nobody was looking.

Hey one ounce, is your last name "Sinjen Smythe"?

Yeah, I know its not spelled correctly, buts its how you come across.

What does it hurt, if somebody, at some other club shoots with a Saiga?

And, for that matter, what does it hurt if somebody is carrying a pistol concealed, or openly?

We can carry openly in PA, with no permit, and sometimes, I choose to do so, one of the places I always carried, was the golf course. Seems like one time I stepped into the tall grass, near a creek, and there lurked a big old copperhead, it was a warm day, and he didn't feel like bothering me, but, that didn't rule out the need to dispatch him if the situation merited it.

S**t happens, and you don't have the luxury to decide you should have carried, and you didn't.

What , if Mr. St. John/Smith decides to lose it, and start shooting the people around him, two shells max, per person, of course, because some redneck, with his 500 dollar Saiga just hosed him, by shooting more "Skeets" with his Kmart bulk Federals, than he did with his Lamborghini shotty, using custom loaded Winchester AA's, that have their 9 shot polished by third world women swishing them around in their mouth with tooth pumice and olive oil?

We can't all be aristocrats, but, we are all allowed to do as we wish, under the rule of law, and just because it makes you feel uncomfortable....Get over it.

Besides, I have only so much time free from my video games, scratchin my privates, chewing snuff, and hankering over which new gun I'm gonna purchase, and carry, just to make people like you, uncomfortable.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:49 PM   #91
Balog

I'm still confused about how carrying a holstered side arm is either a safety issue or a potential sign of instability. I'm especially confused since the posters raising this objection feel that it is perfectly acceptable to do so if: at a rifle range, or if the side arm is covered by a garment.

I'll also note that this is one of the most vitriolic, least civil threads I've read on this forum. All the name calling is uncalled for, and reduces the credibility of those participating in it. It reminds me of when I visited the local range for the first (and one of the last) times and politely asked the rangemaster if there were any 3 gun or ipsc/idpa type competitions at their range and was treated to a lengthy harangue about the lack of intelligence and general low morals of those who participate in such activities. Why, some fella in the next county over got shot doing that! :barf:

I've been considering buying a shotgun again, as it's far easier to find a nearby range to practice shotgun games than any type of practical rifle or pistol. After this thread, I'm not so sure.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:50 PM   #92
oneounceload

Quote:
Hey one ounce, is your last name "Sinjen Smythe"?

Yeah, I know its not spelled correctly, buts its how you come across.

What does it hurt, if somebody, at some other club shoots with a Saiga?
It hurts when someone gets shot or killed because of stupidity because they weren't following the safety rules. Maybe you should read ALL of what has been written instead of parsing a few talking points

Quote:
What , if Mr. St. John/Smith decides to lose it, and start shooting the people around him, two shells max, per person, of course, because some redneck, with his 500 dollar Saiga just hosed him, by shooting more "Skeets" with his Kmart bulk Federals, than he did with his Lamborghini shotty, using custom loaded Winchester AA's, that have their 9 shot polished by third world women swishing them around in their mouth with tooth pumice and olive oil?
And this immature childish blather is exactly why ranges have rules.....
Old March 7, 2011, 10:01 PM   #93
FG42

Explain to me how one of you fudds could get hurt with a 10 round mag easier than you could with a over under or a pump gun, unless by hurt you mean BUTTHURT
Old March 7, 2011, 10:05 PM   #94
rickb2202

skeet shooting with sagia 12

kind of reminds me of when snowboards first came out. they were outlawed at most ski resorts, until people saw what could be done with them!!!
Old March 7, 2011, 10:07 PM   #95
FG42

thank god he didn't show up with a drum, there would need to be a mass changing of adult diapers
Old March 7, 2011, 10:08 PM   #96
frick74

What range rules would prevent someone "Accidentally" being shot by a concealed, or open handgun?

IF, you are playing Pistol Skeets, then perhaps I could agree that only one loaded gun on the stand was proper.

Seeing that there is no chance, 40 caliber ammo, is accidentally going to find its way into a 12 ga. shotgun, I find your safety argument, not only stupid, but superfluous to the topic at hand.

And you can't even present a good argument to counter your statements.

"And this immature childish blather is exactly why ranges have rules....."

Seriously?

You did play the lead role as the golf course owner in your Harvard classes rendition of "Caddyshack" and your reprising it here, correct?

And I am of course, Rodney Dangerfield, bringing his optically sighted Saiga putter to play on your golf course?

Ha, ha, thats it, isn't it?

Or is it "Peter Griffin" you fear showing up at your Skeety range?

But forgive me, I blather on, and on.....

You sir, if you are in fact a gun owner, represent the worst kind, the closed minded, set in his way, afraid to see beyond the length of his nose, type, that feels anyone expressing their 2nd Amendment rights, somehow, threatens you.

When in fact, you would be the first to toss your Saiga on the fire, if the Government told you to do so, in order to keep your precious, double barreled, In-graved, Skeety Shooter.

To quote a famous line from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" film, "Now. Go away, or I shall fart in your general direction". (Please, imagine a very poor, french accent on the prior quote.)....
Old March 7, 2011, 10:09 PM   #97
minnpatriot

lol funny stuff .....diapers and all.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:10 PM   #98
Shane Tuttle
Staff

This is getting rediculously childish. I don't know what's worse; the lousy information given in this thread or the childish responses instead of hitting the report icon...

Closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread