The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 18, 2009, 05:45 AM   #1
mrnkc130

Hunting in Texas

I have never really been into hunting but a friend of mine at work says I need to go deer hunting with him. I'm really looking forward to going but I dont really have any "deer rifles" My friend told me there was a magazine capacity restriction, I was unable to find this restriction on the texas online site. The only thing it mentioned was MG and suppressors as being prohibited. Basically said you could hunt with any legal firearm, I was unable to find the State of Texas's legal desrciption if a firearm. Basically I want to go deer hunting with my AR, probaly with 6.8 upper. Is this something I can hunt deer with legally? I dont need to try and find a 5 round magazine or anything silly like that do I? Thanks for the help!
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old November 18, 2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...al/hunt/means/

Quote:
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
So you are good to go. Just get your license and the little book that comes with it for reference so that you don't have to read everything online and you can keep it with you as a good reference.

I like the gaff made here when they refer to game "animals" and "birds" as birds are animals. Apparently, the word "animals" is used interchangeably with "mammals," LOL.
Old November 18, 2009, 06:08 AM   #3
mrnkc130

but what do they consider a legal firearm? or do they mean legal as in not stolen or an unregistered SBR or something to that effect?
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old November 18, 2009, 06:14 AM   #4
mrnkc130

I also have not taken a hunters safety course...is that true that you can get your license 1 time without having it? or soemthing like that?
Old November 18, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It's common for Ace or Tru-Valu Hardware stores to have a gun department, and they have the Parks&Wildlife "Outdoor Annual" booklet of regulations. Gunshops as well, of course. And TP&WD has a website with all the info.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971, you must complete a Hunter Safety Course.

Legality: No pellet guns. No full auto. No silencers. No rimfire on deer.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

mrnkc130, YOU need to actually read the regulations. That is the smart thing for anyone who plans on hunting to do before hunting. Art and I have suggested you get the book, but if that doesn't work for you, go to the link I provided and follow the appropriate menu choices.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Buzzcook

Even if you are old enough to no "have" to take a hunter safety course, it is a very good idea to take one.

Make sure your gun is zeroed in and practice a lot.
Old November 19, 2009, 01:35 AM   #8
mrnkc130

I ask about the hunters safety course because there is no way with my work schedule that I will have time to take the class THIS season, I read that you can get your license 1 season without the hunters safety course.

I will pick up the hand book when I get my license, just wanted to check before hand with you guys to see if anyone knew what rifle kind of rifle I could use, so I would know If I had to get another rifle too. If I did I probably wouldnt mess with it this year...thanks for your help
Old November 19, 2009, 01:45 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...required.phtml
Hunter Education Deferral (cost: $10) Allows a person 17 years of age or older who has not completed a hunter education program to defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral. Take the course by August 31 of the current license year and receive a $5 discount. The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and went into effect September 1, 2004.
Interesting, I was not aware of that...