The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 12, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1

New guy gotta vent

Went tree rat hunting got 4 nice fox squirrels. Had a great time until i came outta the woods and found a dead 10pt. I figure a 3yr old, would have been a shooter next year. The odd thing was is that it was still warm. I got outa there asap. I figured the poachers were still in the area. On the way to my truck, i smelled something rotten on the gas well road. I went over and there laid 5 deer with backstraps, hind quarters, and racks missing. There was plastic bags and beer cans everywhere. Monday i will call the portage county game warden. I hate poachers with a passion. Those are the kind of "trash hunters" that are going to ruin the sport for our future generations of hunters. Where is the ethics? That ruined my hunt. If anyone is familiar with west branch state park, that was where i was hunting this morning. Please everyone turn in poachers. The future of our wonderful sport needs to be protected from the idiots that have no respect for the game we pursue. Im done. Thanks for listening. I did pick up the bags and beer cans. They looked real nice laying in a state park
Old January 12, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
MLeake

Why wait until Monday? Evidence only gets colder.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3

Game warden mon thru fri job in portage county when muzzleloader is done. They even moved the hq to lake milton
Old January 12, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Called 1 800 tip (turn in a poacher). They will send a game warden out as soon as they can. Left my name and number. Thats all i can do.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
reynolds357

I cant stand poachers either. There are some people in my area that are dirt poor and shoot a few deer in the off season to keep their family eating. They dont bother me in the least, but poachers like you describe infuriate me.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
jmtbiggin

Found two does with only backstraps missing a few weeks ago....wasteful and disrespectful
Old January 14, 2013, 04:59 PM   #7
MLeake

It is Monday afternoon, any updates?
Old January 14, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8

As i expected....nothing. What a shame. I have my buddy calling a summit county game warden, he knows him. I hear anything i will post. Sad. Very very sad.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Keg

We usually find at least one buck shot by poachers..from the road..every year....
Old January 15, 2013, 03:05 AM   #10
vostracker

Prints

Just a thought, but there might of been some decent fingerprints available off of those cans and bags!! Just say'n for next time. You could turn them in too with your other info. Might just get lucky and get a print and hit!!! Been done before. Good luck!!
Old January 15, 2013, 05:12 AM   #11

I hunt private property south of me. Takes about 3 1/2hrs to get there. You couldnt imagine how many bucks we see dead just off the interstate that are missing heads. Not legal. Nice for kids to see.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:02 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well you did your part citizen. Now it's up to the law enforcement authority's to do theirs. If their cutting/stripping deer as you said. Best to stay away from the area. It sounds like you accidentally entered the "Poachers Play Grounds." Shame. The behavior such people (poachers) have isn't it.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13

Great point. Im not planning on returning to hunt that particular area. Never carry my m&p 40 when toting a shotgun, but that will now change. I always carry bowhunting. Never had a need, but, now i will feel a little better having back up. Too bad about that area, the squirrels are in there like ants. Big fox squirrels and greys. Even the black squirrels get big. Yummy. I got some other honey holes ive found while bowhunting, miles away from those trash hunters. Good advice.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #14

I have pics of the deer that are missing the backstraps and hind quarters spread out like a massacre. Im on an iphone. Couldnt upload a pic if i had too. Its like walking up on a pile of puppies on fire. Heartbreaking. Ive thought of stakin out the area and waiting to get plate numbers, but mrs 318. "Took em and put them in her purse". If ya know what i mean.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:39 PM   #15
BerdanSS

Was driving back roads to my folks place one time last spring....stopped and counted 20+ coyotes, 18 red fox, 10 grey fox and 13 what I'm pretty sure were some kind of weasel. All complete and laid out in nice, neat rows on the shoulder next to a corn field without a single house or livestock for 10 miles in any direction. I can see shooting a yote or few around the farm or something to protect you place and animals, but for Petes sake... 5 or six of the red foxes were just little pups, all poorly shot laid out next to a big healthy female... wistfulness and just shameful to boot

Passing freshly shot medium to big bucks with nothing but their heads cut off are a common occurrence out there too. Normally the 2-3 following weeks after the end of firearms and muzzle loader season.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Keg

We shoot all coyotes and hogs on sight..and we are barely making a dent....
Old January 16, 2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Strafer Gott

Trail cams make outstanding surveillance tools. Try a simple sign, "Trail cam surveillance next 12 miles." Hunting privileges don't mean squat to poachers, but putting the pickup at risk is a threat with some teeth.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:59 PM   #18
BerdanSS

Yotes around here are getting almost to the point of being rare to see one. There are reasons that can be had to shoot almost anything, and good reasons....but mass wholesale killing of ANY wildlife, just for the hell of it is wrong in my book....should be in everyone's.

Deer are almost over populated around me though... Wife and I counted a total of 41 out grazing off the road in less than 4 miles on the way back from feeding the horses it was around 6pm.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:12 PM   #19
reynolds357

If I see a yote on my land; its dead. If I see an armadillo, its dead. If I see a hog, its dead. All three cost me too much money to let live.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:58 PM   #20
BerdanSS

I can understand yotes in cases of livestock and pets/children. And we all know feral hogs are one of the most destructive things on Gods green earth, but.....

Honest Question from a guy that's never seen a living one....

Out of complete curiosity....and totally off topic...what does an armadillo do that cost money? Roll into $#*! Just kidding But seriously I'd like to know. Only time I've ever seen one, was one mashed on the road driving through Texas.

We do have things around here we shoot on sight for good reason......groundhogs. Destroy barns and make riding the pastures or driving the tractor a living hell.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:09 AM   #21
MLeake

Armadillos can do damage similar to what groundhogs do.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Keg

I don't know anything about groundhogs.....But I have been around armadillos all my life.....The only damage I know is might mess up your wifes flowerbed a lil bit....Other than that..I really don't know.....Their burrows are usually out of the way..on a fence line or up against a tree.....Their little scratching out in the pasture probably does it good....
Old January 17, 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
MLeake

I don't worry about armadillos much, but a friend had one dig multiple holes in his landscaped yard. He was not happy.

Meanwhile, gophers are creating trip hazards in my side yard...
Old January 18, 2013, 01:30 AM   #24
shortwave

Seein how armadillo's have been known as a carrier of leprosy, with one study claiming to have found one in six armadillo's tested in Texas and Louisiana as carrying the contagious disease, don't think I'd want them around.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/27...osy/index.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011...s-linked-to-ar...

Last edited by shortwave; January 18, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Keg

Quote:
Meanwhile, gophers are creating trip hazards in my side yard...
Gopher killin machine here.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161.jpg (269.5 KB, 41 views)