The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 4, 2008, 10:26 PM   #26
green-grizzly

130 grain ballistic silvertip in 270 WSM

No penetration on pronghorn. The bullet basically blew up upon impact. I shot it a couple times at short range, which did nothing but scare the hell out of it, and then finally had a bullet hold together and penetrate once the pronghorn was about 100 yards away.

I bought like 5 boxes of that ammo on sale, and have not taken it out of the closet since.
Old January 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #27
Kreyzhorse

I've hunted using both Remington core-lokts and Winchester ballastic tips and I can honestly say that neither has performed badly if I do my job. By doing my job I mean good shot placement above all else. Regardless of bullet, a bad shot is a bad shot. As Kennedy proved, there is no "magic bullet" that will cure a bad shot.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:43 AM   #28
elkman06

150gr sivertips out of a 06, will and do blow up on the surface. Only good thing they would be used for is shooting paper at the range..
elkman06
Old January 23, 2008, 01:22 AM   #29
whitefish

elkman06, is that the regular silvertips or the newer ballistic silvertips.

My dad has had good success with the 180 Silvertips in his 308.
Old January 23, 2008, 01:28 AM   #30
UniversalFrost

remington core lokt have been the poorest performers from factory loads at all ranges and calibers

I have had good performance with winchester silvertip, but real close shots did not perform well on the faster velocity calibers I shoot (failed to expand).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 26, 2008, 10:51 PM   #31
elkman06

whitefish,, the last ones I used were in 1975 so I guess the old style. I reload now so not something I would ever load.
elkman
Old January 27, 2008, 04:18 PM   #32
castnblast

Old Nosler ballistic tips in 7mm rem mag. blew up on the shoulder of a deer shot at 160 yds. Went back to 139 btsps ever since. no problems. Shot several nice Nilgai w/ it. (think elk sized animals)
Old January 27, 2008, 06:49 PM   #33
whitefish

A buddy of mine wanted me to post this...

A whitetail doe at 75 yards with 7mm Weatherby using Grand Slams. Caught a piece of the shoulder and the bullet went kaboom! This experience essentially sold him on Barnes X (he keeps trying to convince me to switch to them).
Old June 17, 2008, 03:47 PM   #34
gedenke

I know this thread has all but expired, but I was poking around here and wanted to add my two cents. Besides, with the fall not too far off, many of us will be working on our handloads for the hunt(s), so maybe a revival isn't a bad thing.

By no means is this meant to stir the pot, but last year I took a 200lb Blacktail with regular old 150gr Rem. CoreLokt (the $13/box walmart variety), out of a Savage 30/06 @ 20yds. Now, perhaps the close range was a factor, but the animal took one step (he was in a light trot) and dropped. As for the bullet, it pretty much snapped one rib and ruptured the heart, breaking into two chunks, penatrating about halfway through the chest. However, there was no exit wound.

Last edited by gedenke; June 17, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:12 PM   #35
Sarge

Ken,

I have used conventional, 60's-era .30 cal (30-30, .308 & '06) 150-180 grain softpoints on several deer apiece and have yet to lose one. Essentially no tracking involved either. I used a Privi Partizan 175 grain 7x57 SP (from an original 7mm rolling block, no less) on a running doe about 20 years ago and flattened her. Granted, 250-300 pound animals are big ones here and the .30's are more than 'up to the task'.

If I had the good fortune to live & hunt in your country, I'd probably trade the 30-30 for a .375 Win, and pick up a .338 WM or .375 H&H for anything beyond that. It's hard to argue with 75-100 grains more bullet when the local fauna can teeter-totter with a fat boy on a Harley Davidson.

The conventional bullets work fine but you have to use enough gun, enough bullet, and then put that bullet where it needs to go.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:27 PM   #36
simonkenton

Remington Core Lokt in 180 grain with a German Mauser 30-06.
It is a real dog on Georgia whitetail. I killed 20 of 'em with this slug, but never could get it to expand. Damn deer would run 120 yards with holes through both lungs.
I got a .30 entrance and a .35 exit.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:32 PM   #37
simonkenton

"You know my experiences with accubonds from "Accubond Performance?".

Other than that, I took a 50-75 yard running shot at a small whitetail doe using a 180gr PowerPoint (factory load) out of the same 300 Win Mag. I hit the back hip and it REALLY exploded. There were chunks of copper and lead all over the place. Basically destoyed the hind quarters.

That said, both of these bullets have performed perfectly at ranges over 125 yards in the past. I think both are good performers at the right velocity/energy. Depending on what gun is used, thats going to translate into range.

Browning A-Bolt II 300 Win Mag - 26" barrel - 1 in 10 twist"

Unethical.
I am sorry to see that you shoot deer in the ass at 50 yards.
Please stick to standing still shots henceforth.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:33 PM   #38
gedenke

Sarge, your last statement is right on. I believe shot placement is much more important then what kind of boolit you fling.

That being said, unlike last year, I'm reloading now, and will be hunting deer with a custom 6.5mm. I've been shooting 140gr Hornady Interlocks with decent results (for an old gun that needs a barrel). I am however, considering using a premium bullet this year, perhaps a Nosler Partition.

I was leaning toward a tipped/bonded like Accubond or Interbond, but reading about how the ballistic tips are "exploding" when hitting bone, now I'm not so sure. Question is, most of those reports are from guys shooting the fast 300's, so, would a slower gun like mine perform a little better with say, an Accubond?
Old June 17, 2008, 07:50 PM   #39
mavracer

dad shot a ~100 pound antelope with a 130 seirra from a .270 win.while it did its job I was less than impressed the bullet lost its jacket and failed to exit.IIRC the shot was nearly broadside.IMHO it should stay together on such a small animal.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 17, 2008, 11:09 PM   #40
Sarge

gedenke- thanks. My guess is that your bullet selection for your 6.5 will work out fine.

The standard Nosler BT is probably not the best choice for 'fast 30's' or fast anything, unless severe fragmentation is your goal. I run the 150 BT at 2944 fps from Peggi's '06 and it is still a chest-grenade at 200+ yards. You can actually hear it impact over the report at that distance, and it sounds like it's hitting wet paper or water jugs.

Does it stay together? Nope. I shoot shoulders/spine and they rarely exit. No matter. It is a wicked, deer-slaying machine. Where you shoot 'em is where you find 'em.

It also happens to be exceptionally accurate in her rifle, which is why keep loading it. In terminal ballistics it is not unlike the original 130 grain 270 load that Mavracer mentioned. They were both designed to meet perceived shortcomings in the 30/150 loads I mentioned above- and kill deer as well at 250 yards as the old stand-bys did at 100. This they do, but the price you pay is a little wrecked meat and passed-up Texas Heart Shots.
Old June 17, 2008, 11:19 PM   #41
Sportdog

Somebody needs to tell the outfitter that I will be using this fall on a black bear hunt that those Corelokt's and Ballistic Tips are no good! Those are the exact bullets that he recomended to me to load up for close shots over bait, 30-60 yards. Seeing as how this outfitter was recomended to me by one of the leading bear hunters and author of three books on hunting black bears I figure the guy must know what he is talking about. I was all set to load up some Nosler Partitions or Speer Mag Tips but he said no. Go with CoreLokt's or Ballistic Tips so that's what I'm going to do. 8mmMauser, 185 grain Corelokt's @2600fps and 30-06 180 grain Corelokt's @2700fps. If the Good Lord sees fit to let me take a bear, I'll report back with bullet performance.
Old June 18, 2008, 03:35 PM   #42
gedenke

I didn't want to get too far off topic with this one, so I started a new thread on hunting bullet performance, rather than mis-performance, as discussed here. Thanks guys!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=298974
Old June 19, 2008, 09:31 AM   #43
lt dan

Big Game

i have never heard of big game bullets giving problems. i guess it is because they know big game can kill the hunter. most favour a 416 rigby for big game due to the penatration and i have never heard about problems. not with reloads or factory ammo.