The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 20, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Housezealot

How old do you get the kids shooting?

I have two young sons (3 and 6) and have been teaching the older a little with soft air. My dad started me on a .22 at age 5 after a little work with a pellet gun. Now to me 5 seems a bit young but hey, I practice better safety than some of my Army buddies that didn't pick up a rifle untill boot camp.
what are your thoughts?
I thought about setting up a poll but the question seems a little to broad.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Housezealot

Oop's

Sorry, I meant to post this in the general forum
Old May 20, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3
rjrivero

It depends on the Child.

I have a daughter and she took her first Russian Sow at 9 years old.

She's been shooting with me every other weekend for about 2 years prior to that. When she started showing interest is when we started her shooting.

If the child is eager, responsible, and has an appropriate attention span and emotionally stable (not easily frustrated/disappointed) then it's time to start, irrespective of age.

I was VERY impressed with how well my child was behaved on the range on our first outing. I made it clear to her that this is a serious responsibility, and she responded splendidly.

To this day, a single violation of the safety rules is grounds for an immediate withdrawl from the range. I think this is important. Everything STOPS if safety is violated. No if's and's or buts. No anger, no lectures. If you violate a safety rule, you need to take time to think about it. I adopted this rule from USPSA and 3 Gun Shoots. I think implemented correctly, it's a great rule.

I only have the one child, but if I had more, I would bring them to the range one at a time. I don't want to foster competition between the kids until safety is the habbit.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Housezealot

one nice thing about teaching my kids will be our location, my parents have some acerage that is perfect for shooting so I don't have to worry about others around me doing something stupid. I'll just have me and my boy to keep an eye on.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
ancienthacker

My son first showed interest in shooting at Cub Scout day camp where they had a BB gun range set up when he was 7. I thought he might be a bit young but he took to air rifles right away. A year or so later he was shooting .22lr. At 23 (and thousands of rounds later) it's still his favorite caliber to shoot.

When he was young he understood the safety aspect right away. Finger and muzzle control - that was key for me. He was better then than a lot of adults I see now.

I'd give it a try. Sounds like you have a great location to work in.

Have fun.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:39 PM   #6
bgdv1

my oldest son who is 17 now started shooting at age 3. he is freakin amazing with a rifle in his hands, probably why he wants to be a scout/sniper in the US ARMY. he leaves for basic in 12 days. my youngest is 15 and he started at about five. fortunately we live in the country and they are always out with their 22's or the oldest has his 308 out. they have been tought gun safety from the very beginning and they do a fabulous job at it and it has earned them the responsabilities and freedoms they enjoy.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It depends somewhat on what you mean by "shooting". My son shot my Ruger 10/22 last summer, he was 2. I held the gun, he pulled the trigger. He thought the little things flying out the side were where all the fun was!

"Shooting" independently? Maybe 7 or so with a BB gun, depending on responsibility. We'll work up from there.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Edward429451

I had my kids shootin 22's and Mini-14's full prone on one of those MTM riflerest/cleaning center things when they were 4 or 5? Independantly.

Ages 3 to 6 are very formative years and lots and lots of gun safety can be instilled in them at this time. My kids got soo much hands on in those years that its no wonder they're both very safe. I'd let them 'handle' (not 'play'!) with guns if A) they asked first without touching, and B) could recite the 4 rules of gun safety to me first.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Tucker 1371

I was 7 when I got my .22 Chipmunk (I shoot it still but its WAY too tiny), I remember my grandpaw and his friend who owned the gun shop looking at me really funny when I shouldered the rifle left handed . My grandpaw grilled me on the 4 rules before he ever let me shoot and it's stuck with me.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 21, 2009, 12:05 AM   #10
b.thomas

With a .22 both my boys were about 5, with a bb gun just about right after they were house broke (out of diapers). We get started young in my family and we're not even red necks (no offense to anyone ) as were all born/raised in southern California.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:47 PM   #11
kiwi56

kids shooting

I just recently took my son shooting for the first time, he was 4 years & 2 months and absolutely loved it. After seeing what fun he had now his five year old sister wants to try so next time both will be going. Life just gets good and then even better.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:06 AM   #12
Dingoboyx

All kids are different

Recently at my ranges open day, we had heaps of kids want to try shootin' various guns. I was in the CAS section, so we had the Ruger single 6 22's and 22 leverguns. Some kids were 'with it' enough and could grip the single 6 firmly.... a few of them had a shot or 5 with a 44 mag Vaquaro.... some of these kids were quite small but were well supervised (as in 'stood over')
Other kids, even bigger, 'boofier' kids werent holding the 22 firm or controlled enough (like holding a dead fish) and of course, for these kids the 22 was all they shot.

So, you have to look at each individual kid and arm them & teach them accordingly. You cant generalise and say when a kid is 5 he/she can ONLY handle a 22 (or airsoft) and when they are 7 they can instantly handle a 357 for example. You can usually tell what a kid can handle by their hold (firm & controlling muzzle flip), their understanding.... and of course their 'general ability'

Like adults, some 'have it' & some 'don't'...... some will 'learn & improve' & some wont! no matter what you do.

The most important thing is to know the kids temperament (if they get angry, will they do something stoopid?) they have to understand they have a deadly instrument in their hand..... If you think about it, you will know what stage a kid is at..... just be careful and have your 'eagle eyes' turned on at all times
Old May 24, 2009, 12:22 AM   #13
Swampghost

Mine started when they could carry the rifle. My daughter (27) is neutral on the hunting issue, 100% on the SD side. Also a first rate shot just like her mother. My son (25) enters SEAL training soon. Need I say more about him?

The really funny part is that I can still outshoot HIM!
Old May 24, 2009, 12:57 AM   #14
Dingoboyx

Swamp

he is probably foxing around you? He probably knows better than to 'show up the old man'

A fate worse than death
Old May 24, 2009, 11:23 PM   #15
armsmaster270

My grandfather started teaching me with an old winchester 22 pump wheh I was about 5.
My dad started teaching me with a S&W K-22 Masterpiece at 7yrs by 8 I was hip shooting.
Old May 30, 2009, 03:41 PM   #16
QBall45

My ooldest is now 13 and a half he started late at about 7. My younger 3 started when house broke. My youngest daughter was about 1 and a half the first time she shot the BB gun. I really like the Creckett for teachin the little ones to shoot rimfire. Love the single shot and short overal length. Makes shooting fun for 'em. Actually I have 3 that are begging to go out in the backyard right now. Start 'em as young as your wife will let ya. No, start when they want to spend time with you out side. The earlier the better thats my motto. It is what works for me.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:07 PM   #17
BurkGlocker

I started my daughters off at 9 and 4 on pellet rifles, but my oldest hasnt taken to the guns like the younger one did. My youngest, now 9, is my shooting buddy. She started off on a single shot Springfield .22LR, and now she shoots my 10/22. We get some clays and I put them out at 25, 50 and 100 yards, and those are all hers. Its getting to be pretty expensive when she's out there with me, but she's a damn fine shot. She will even shoot the little pieces that are left over, with regular dispatch. I want to get her a .22 pistol, because the 9mm and .45 are way too big for her hands.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:06 PM   #18
El Paso Joe

I started at 4. My sons when they were a bit older. Daughters 7 or 8. Grandson (only had access to one so far) at 2 1/2 with a rubber band gun. The same safety rules for a rubber band gun as for the 22 he will have a few years down the road but the mistakes with the rubber band gun are easier to cope with. Although I don't remember any mistakes with the others.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:11 PM   #19
liberty1

Both of mine started around 5. My son is 16 and my daughter 19 now. They killed 2 bull elk side by side while i was at work last year. Train them right as early as possible and you will have no worries later.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:19 PM   #20
phantom1984

Both of mine shot their first handgun at age 5 at that time i had a Colt 1911 45 with me behind them in case the recoil got away from them. My son can out shoot me and my buddies former Marines , army, and Law enforcement officers.. He has been in the Ky National Guard since he was 17 (he is 18 now)and is as i am writing this in Basic. My daughter can shoot real well at 16 but is not really into it.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:57 PM   #21
JWT

I'd say someplace between the ages of 5 to 10. Each individual is different and so are the places available to take them shooting. If you have private land and a safe area to shoot I think it's easier to take a younger child out and teach them to shoot than it is at a public range.

then again, some people aren't ready to handle a gun when they're in their
50's.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:25 PM   #22
MosesMosley

My boy started coming with us early, like 4 I believe. After a year of being at the range, witnessing proper procedures and practicing safety steps at home he was able to start shooting at about 5. I'd load 1 round in the gun at a time for the first few trips and then progressively put a another one or 2 in each trip.