The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2014, 11:56 AM   #51
schmellba99

Quote:
Now, my brass reconditioning process is to tumble with dry media (corn cob); lube, size/decap; tumble with SS pins; flair. This gives me nice, super clean brass. AND I really much prefer the way brass resizes with lubricant.
Just out of curiosity, why go through the extra step with the corncob tumbling?

I deprime with a universal depriming die, then wet tumble in SSTL pins. Dry my brass, either lube with One Shot (pistol) or Dillon (rifle), then load away. With pistol, I'm done after loading because the dry lube leaves no sticky residue. With rifle, I have to either spray with non-CFC brake parts cleaner and tumble in a towel, or toss in a vibratory tumbler for 5-10 minutes. Eliminates the need for the tumbling in dry media prior to sizing completely, and you are working with clean brass in your actual loading dies.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:58 AM   #52
Nick_C_S

Quote:
A dry lube like One Shot doesn't need to be removed.
Good to know. A couple months ago, I picked up some One Shot at my LGS. Can't remember why - I think maybe to clean my dies with it??

Anyway, I have yet to use it for anything. Might have to check it out.
Old February 17, 2014, 12:03 PM   #53
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why go through the extra step with the corncob tumbling?
I dry (corncob) tumble to clean the outside of the brass prior to resizing. I don't want to put "range grit" though my dies.

Once they're decapped, I then do the final cleaning with SS pins. This gets them nice and clean - inside n out; and most importantly, the primer pockets.

Quote:
I deprime with a universal depriming die.
I just bought one of those from Midway this week. The idea being to save a cleaning step - as you mention. I deprimed about 30 45ACP cases with it and it sent the primers flying everywhere. I could not contain them. So for now at least, I'm sticking with my two-step cleaning method. I really don't mind. The whole process of loading - from start to finish - is a hobby I enjoy. My loading bench is the best 8.5sq/ft on the planet; okay, second-best

Last edited by Nick_C_S; February 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old February 17, 2014, 10:50 PM   #54
coldbeer

I tried a Lee carbide die but went back to steel dies for 30 carbine. If I have to lube the cases anyway I don't see the point of carbide dies
Old February 18, 2014, 06:15 AM   #55
Urban_Redneck

Quote:
Quote:
A dry lube like One Shot doesn't need to be removed.
Good to know. A couple months ago, I picked up some One Shot at my LGS. Can't remember why - I think maybe to clean my dies with it??

Anyway, I have yet to use it for anything. Might have to check it out.
There are at least two One Shot lubes

I hand cleaned a handful of cases with the cleaner/lube and it seemed to work well (9mm carbide dies). Now, I use a blast of the One Shot Case Lube, works great.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:23 PM   #56
under_dawg

I swiped a can of Pledge from the hall closet. I spray a little on the corner of an old sock and wipe the excess dust from the tumbler off with the dry end of the sock, and dab the brass with the wet spot of pledge. I had a small piece of dust or sand get in my sizing die years ago and wiping the brass off has cured that from happening again. Seems like I read that (the Pledge as lube) in Lee's Reloading book when I first started reloading several years ago.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:42 PM   #57
Nick_C_S

Good to know Urban Redneck. The one I have is neither of the ones you pic'd. It's "extreme 4x yadda yadda yadda" something or other. Anyway, it appears to be for cleaning guns. I'm not gonna use it to lube cases now.

Thanks. I didn't know there were different products.
Old February 18, 2014, 02:32 PM   #58
schmellba99

FYI - the One Shot case lube is not to be used as the lube for things like rifle brass. You WILL hate life trying (ask me how I know.....)

It's great for cleaning and dry lubing things like dies or your press ram or shell plate or for shooting on straight walled pistol brass with a carbide die (that's what I was referencing).

I've never had an issue with a LEE or Hornady universal decapping die shooting primers everywhere - it deprimes the same as a sizing/depriming die. I've also gotten to where I deprime everything in my LnL AP - it goes significantly faster than using the single stage for this purpose, and the system of catching spent primers on the LnL is probably the best on the market. I have a couple of whiskey bottles filled to the brim with spent primers that never so much as came close to the floor (and I'm really thankful for that too - few things are worse than picking primers up out of carpet to keep the ire of the Missus to a minimum).
Old February 20, 2014, 08:27 PM   #59
lostintheozone

I lube everything now even with carbide. I started reloading 30 carbine with a carbide die and Lee said to lube those. So I use Dillon Case Lube now on my 38 spl and 45 ACP too. Just lay them in a flat metal tin (I use a pie pan I stole from my wife), and spray one side. Makes sizing a lot easier and I'm thinking it's less wear on your dies.
Old February 22, 2014, 07:20 PM   #60
snuffy

I don't know why anyone is so worried about cleaning the lube off the shells after running them in carbide dies with some lube.

Just toss the loads in a tumbler with some bare corn-cob for 20 minutes or so. Lube gone! Not a good idea with lead boolits, they have residual lube on them that attracts dirt.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?