The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2001, 09:12 AM   #1
cobraman

Hey guys I am looking for a range bag to carry my pistols to the range(duh). I really dont want to pay 70 bucks for one. I have a Springfield Loaded coupon that list a "Mini" Range or I am thinking of buying a fishing bag like the ones Plano makes. I have four pistols I routinely carry to the range as well as ammo and a small cleaning kit and some littl extras. Last night I went the range with Two guns and ammo and I carried it in in a Walmart plastic bag, so it is time to move up to something a little classier. Any other suggestions? Any know what the Springfield bag is like?
Thanks
Matt
Old April 20, 2001, 09:48 AM   #2
muddyboots

Walmart sells a big plastic pistol case about $10, you can fit 4 handguns in easy. I have a spare camera bag that I carry all the other stuff in, it works very well. The bag even has a long strap to sling over your shoulder, and is nicely padded to boot.
Old April 20, 2001, 10:46 AM   #3
Andy J

Cobraman,
Like you, I couldn't justify spending lots of money on a range bag. I went to Lowe's home improvement store and got a tool bag made by AWP. Heavy canvas, pockets inside and out, and a heavy duty zipper. Love it so much I bought another. Under $20.00 for the small one and around $35.00 for the large one. Good luck.
Old April 20, 2001, 10:54 AM   #4
cobraman

Thanks, Lowes gotta check out the new one that just opened up down the road, after work.
Old April 20, 2001, 11:25 AM   #5
rvb

Walmart

they have a canvas Hoppes bag for $30 which has two padded inserts to place handguns that can be taken out and layed out on your bench, also. It has room for ammo, eyes, ears, cleaning stuff, targets, etc.

If you want to carry more than 2 (which it sounds like you do), I'd say there is room in there to put the guns in their factory cases in there, as well.

It's very nice for the $.

you can see it here (I have the one at the top).
http://www.hoppes.com/Bags.htm

rvb
Old April 20, 2001, 11:39 AM   #6
USGuns

I have the same Hoppes bag rvb does and it works great. Durable, affordable, decent looking and seperate padded cases for your pistols (2). Just wish it had a specific spot for magazines. A good value.
Old April 20, 2001, 12:22 PM   #7
cobraman

that Hoppes bag looks Nice. I dont know what Wally world you guys go to, mine doesnt have them. I went yesterday to buy ammo and looking for a bag. Nothing! not even the Plano Fishing bags.
Old April 21, 2001, 09:47 PM   #8
Tall Man

Try this:

My medicum Galco Range Bag came from the 'Cheaper Than Dirt' catalog. I got it app. 6 months ago. It is a well-constructed, purpose-built product.

This particular bag has two well-padded exterior pockets to hold pistols and such. The interior has adjustable panels, so that up to 3 compartments may be sized to meet your needs. There is a padded shoulder strap, also. The entire bag is constructed of ballistic nylon. All YKK zippers have locking rings on them. There is a Velcro-secured flap to cover the center zippers where they meet. Need I mention the color choice?

All of this for about $39.00. Not too bad if you want to be seen with a "real" range bag.

Respectfully,

Tall Man
Old April 22, 2001, 09:54 PM   #9
danm

Dittos on the tool bags from Lowes or HomeDepot. Mine
happens to be a BucketBoss GateMouth, but I guess they
are all similar. Lots of pockets, inside and out. Very
sturdy, can carry a lot of weight. Handles and shoulder
strap... For $20 0r $25. I also like the idea that it
does not scream "Guns".
DanM
Old April 23, 2001, 07:06 AM   #10
cobraman

Ok I checked Another Local WalMart. Nothing!

You know Florida is such a gun friendly state you'd think our WalMarts would be bursting with stuff like Hoppes Gear. Nope! I might check Lowes or HomeDepot today or Tomorrow. Didnt get a chance to do it on Friday. I hate working it really cramps my style.

Thanks
Guys

[Edited by cobraman on 04-23-2001 at 11:49 AM]