The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Huffmanite

Firing pin & trigger questions

Finally went to range to shoot a 1891 Argentine Mauser, I'd had rebarreled to 257 Roberts. Wanted to try it out and tune scope I'd bore sighted. Sorry, Mauser purists, but previous owner had sporterized it and ruined its collector value. Any way, it's going to be a tack driver when I overcome its heavy trigger pull problem. However, noticed primer of first round fired (factory Remington ammo) had a much too deep indentation from firing pin. Fired two different lite reloads I had loaded and still had much too deep indentation. Had not shot the rifle when it was a 7.65 cal for over 25 years and could not remember if it used to do this. Disassembled bolt to clean it and remove some of tip of primer end of firing pin. Discovered firing pin slightly bent about quarter inch from primer tip. Removing metal to shorten pin no problem, but curious if I should make an attempt at straigthening the bent pin. Assume its hardened metal, therefore brittle and easy to break. Anyone have a comment?
Heavy trigger pull problem. Don't want to invest any more money in rifle by buying new trigger assembly to solve heavy military trigger pull problem. Any suggestions or comments on honing original trigger shear to lessen trigger pull?
Old March 3, 2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You can try straightening the pin.
How well this will work depends on where the bend is.
If possible, lay it on a steel anvil and use a small brass hammer to gently tap it straight.

If the pin is too long, look for a worn or altered firing pin.

You can buy replacement '91 parts from:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

http://ssporters.com/

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

On the trigger, you have to be VERY careful about stoning anything. These parts had a glass hard case hardened coating, and just about any stoning will break through the thin coating, ruining the part, AND making the trigger unsafe.

I recommend disassembling the trigger assembly and giving it a good cleaning, then re-lube.
When reassembling it, pay attention to any binding and sticking caused by worn, burred, or bent pins.
Look for any excessive wear on the trigger, or the bolt sear contact surfaces OR any stoning that may have broken through the case hardened finish.

Apply a good grease to the contact areas between the trigger and the sear on the bolt, and the contact areas of the trigger itself.

Usually the two stage Mauser trigger is quite nice, and when it's not, something is out of order.