The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2002, 01:39 PM   #1
MrKandiyohi

Colt .22lr Target Model pistol barrel

I have a Colt .22lr Target Model pistol. It's abotu 5 years old. The barrel is attached to the receiver by a screw thru a post that sticks out the bottom of the barrel. That post is loose and has fallen off of the barrel.

It appears to have been affixed to the barrel by way of something which looks like brass or copper solder, if that's possible.

Q: Should I get a new barrel or get this fixed? I thought I'd try here in case it's an obvious choice.
Old July 17, 2002, 12:37 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The post was brazed on at the factory. This looks like brass colored solder, which in a way it is. Brazing is really high temp soldering using a brass alloy instead of a soft lead/tin alloy.

I'd suggest send it back to Colt for repair. There is always a chance of damaging the barrel, or not getting the post properly aligned. Colt will do it right, and possible not charge for the repair, since this is an obvious factory defect in workmanship.

I'd call and talk to them about this.
Old July 17, 2002, 09:27 AM   #3
MrKandiyohi

Thanks. I'll call Colt this afternoon.