The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 10, 2012, 10:32 PM   #26
4runnerman

I have never pre baited. Heck i have only gone 2 times in my life. I plan to do it as much as i can this winter. My Boss say's him and his wife hear them everyday.
He said last month one of them was trying to get his lab pup to chase him into woods. How often should i expect to see one?. Not everytime i go out there,should I ?. I love the outdoors,so even if i don't see one i still just enjoy the view and the being outdoors. Planing on going out there this weekend again nice and early. Get set up before light any how. What is the best time other than night to get them.
Old January 10, 2012, 10:39 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

Sorry, i meant that for Austin Hall
Old January 10, 2012, 11:17 PM   #28
hagar

Harris 25-C 27 inch sitting swivel bipod and a stadium chair. Trust me, I hunted them seriously in AZ and spend a lot of time and money trying out different things.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:28 AM   #29
rickyrick

Old January 11, 2012, 03:38 PM   #30
mrawesome22

Quote:
Planing on going out there this weekend again nice and early. Get set up before light any how. What is the best time other than night to get them.
In your area, they will be going back to the den around 9-9:30am.
Old January 11, 2012, 04:49 PM   #31
4runnerman

Thanks for the tip Mrawesome22. that might be why i did not see any or was not able to call them in last week. I only got started at 9:30. Will see what happens this week
Old January 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #32
Magnum Mike

Where abouts you hunting in Minnesota?
Old January 11, 2012, 08:52 PM   #33
HALL,AUSTIN

"how often do you bait? "

As often as possible, and I do it usually every 3 days. I dont wear scent block so that the yotes arent scared when they catch a whiff of me, to them its just a usual day. And once I set the bait I make one call and then get the heck out of dodge. Set up a game cam that belongs to a buddies stepdad. They come around 4:30-7:30. Usually the earlier. So once I set the bait I make my one usual call, then wait in my lean to the coyotes come in and then I take my shot while they chow down
Old January 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #34
4runnerman

Magnum Mike--Pelican lake area. about 10 miles east of it and about 3 miles South of Hwy 34.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

Good plan. If I can get some local hunting access I may copy it.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #36
chippedit

coyote fun

In my mind, calling coyotes is as fun as any hunt there is. One of the best things about it is its simplicity. U don't need a lot of gadgets. Accessories won't replace skill and skill comes from practice. If u stay with it long enough to develop a technique, your gonna have a lot of fun.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:01 PM   #37
farmerboy

Coyote hunting is very fun. It ranks up there with squirrel hunting, and hog hunting! Just like hog hunting you can do it year round too.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:44 AM   #38
mrawesome22

Quote:
coyote fun
In my mind, calling coyotes is as fun as any hunt there is. One of the best things about it is its simplicity. U don't need a lot of gadgets. Accessories won't replace skill and skill comes from practice. If u stay with it long enough to develop a technique, your gonna have a lot of fun.
For sure. Get ya a good accurate rifle and 10 different calls hanging off your neck and have at it

When it's close to pitch black and they start howling very close... still makes my hair stand up every time lol

Had 5 coming in at once a couple years ago. Biggest adrenaline rush I think I've ever had while hunting.
Old January 12, 2012, 05:41 AM   #39
rickyrick

I don't know why the earlier post is blank. I was gonna post above about the fact that they love to follow cattle trails and other pathways. When conditions are right, you can ambush them.

One of my favorite things is to sit and listen to coyotes.
Hunting them is fun and requires little equipment. It is thrilling and exciting to call them in.

There will be times that your efforts yield nothing, don't be discouraged it happens to everyone, especially when hunting the same area. You may have to take a break from it at times.
Old January 12, 2012, 07:37 AM   #40
4runnerman

Thanks to all for the tips and advice. I will put them all to use. I love being outdoors and shoot one or not, I still have a great time just being outdoors.

Got my small bench made up.Only sits about 2 feet off ground and is very solid, Very portable too. Got all my Camo stuff and a Ghili suit. Hey even if i don't get one,,I look good not getting one

Magnum Mike--Where abouts you at?.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:45 AM   #41
"JJ"

In my experience, coyotes will abandone a den not long after the pups are born and can venture out.
After they breed they will start to get they old den, if still available, ready for this years pups. But the majority of the year they will not utilize the den & just bed down for naps.
Now they will tend to have a bedding area they like, but I have come accross bedded coyotes in some tall grass in the middle of pastures at 10am.

I think that even if they are bedded or in a den, if they hear the call they are very likely to respond. They have a hard time turning down a meal.
I had one regurgitate an almost complete rabbit when I shot it and it was coming to get more!

But, another thing I have learned is that when dealing with coyotes there is no ALWAYS! They do what they do when they want to do it!

Everybody has given you some great advice, take it all in and use it to help get going in the right direction. See what works for you in your area and make it happen!
Good luck!

Last edited by "JJ"; January 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:24 PM   #42
farmerboy

where you from in NE Texas JJ?
Old January 12, 2012, 12:40 PM   #43
"JJ"

Quote:
where you from in NE Texas JJ?
I am about as far N & E as you can get!
I am about 20 miles from AR & OK in Bowie County.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:10 PM   #44
farmerboy

Leon County is where Im at. (Hardwood) 99% Pin Oak, Red Oak and Post Oak. Hilly terrain some flats half wood half pasture. Deer, Feral hogs and plenty Coyotes. May go this evening.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:55 PM   #45
ngragg

if that is going to be your main yote hunting spot, build you a shooting house and make it comfy with an old office chair.
Old January 13, 2012, 06:24 PM   #46
4runnerman

ngragg- There are about 8 deer houses out there already that have been there for years. I could sit in one of them too. You think that would be better?>
Old January 16, 2012, 01:44 AM   #47
bamaranger

still learning

I've started fooling w/ coyotes a bit. You've got to beat their nose, ie play the wind, and work the terrain against how they will come in using the wind.

And I am still learing. Febuary is my coyote month.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:50 AM   #48
4runnerman

Went out sunday. Got one shot at about 450 yards. Shot low. I was bucking a 35 MPH wind. No excuses being made here. My bad shot. taking Friday off to go get him....
Old January 16, 2012, 10:55 AM   #49
HALL,AUSTIN

Bad shots happen man. Just yesterday my buddy and i were at our blind nd he flopped a 20 yard shot with a rifle he shoots 1.5MOA ALL DAY with... literally all day
Old January 16, 2012, 12:52 PM   #50
rickyrick

450yds is quite far for a yote, you should be able to call them to 150 or less.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you and your rifle are capable.

High winds will cause them to be more wary because they gotta trust thier noses. But some may still approach.

2 months ago, on a windy evening, I got one on a drive-by, I didn't even call. It just strolled right by, never saw me sitting in the bush. Some people won't hunt if the wind ain't right, if the moon and stars ain't right ect... I hunt when I get the time...