The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
jmay

Feel the same about the 40S&W as you use to?

Just wondering if folks feel the same way about the 40 S&W as you did say 10 years ago?
Old August 8, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
subhuman

I consider the .40 S&W one of the best all around rounds you can carry, 135-200 grain loads, 850-1500 FPS, 9mm-.357mag/10mm power, in guns from pocket size all the way to full sized service guns. If there is a job to be done the .40 has a platform to do it from.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Model12Win

Yes.

The .40 S&W was a game changer back 25 years or more since it was developed, and it continues that today.

No other cartridge offers the perfect balance of stopping power and capacity that the .40 does. It is IMHO, the premier fighting combat pistol cartridge of all time.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:51 PM   #4
trigger643

Yes, I continue to be impressed with the .40. It appears to have found a permanent place in the line up of excellent handgun cartridges.
Old August 8, 2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Ruger480

Nope. As a matter of fact I become more disappointed with it as time goes by. It blinds people to the magnificance of the10mm.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

10 mm Auto

I'm not anti-40 S&W.

But I'll take the extra juice - my HD and CCW are both 10mm's.
(G20 & G29 respectively)
Old August 8, 2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
It blinds people to the magnificance of the10mm
...and it's massive recoil.

I love the .40SW. I also love most other handgun cartridges. I don't give a rat's behind if one pistol cartridge is so-called much better than the other. Each one has their own attributes. Most of the common pistol cartridges really have no sizeable difference in effective self defense.

I think it's a fun cartridge to experiment with reloading, too.

The more the merrier is what I say and I'm glad the .40SW is in the mix...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 8, 2014, 09:11 PM   #8
cougar gt-e

I shoot more 40 than all other calibers combined. Load it for minor power or major and it's still easy to have a light recoiling flat shooting gun. Or load it full out and you can still get the snap (if you like that).

But subhuman is wrong, you can go up to 220 grain, not just to 200. I shoot those on occasion.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:14 PM   #9
HungryHunter

Shane took the words out of my mouth. I love them all. I've never participated in a "caliber war", I realize that's not what the op was insinuating. I like the .40 S&W as much as I used to. I like the 9mm, a 45 of any kind, a 10mm, a .357 mag or sig..I could go on. I think the .40 is very effective at what it was designed to do. IMHO
Old August 8, 2014, 09:23 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I haven't tried 220gr...yet.

And I love the "snap". It actually helps me bring my sites back on target in a good rhythm. Hard to explain how, but the snap in the platform I'm shooting causes a circular/radial rotation. Other types of cartridges such as the .45ACP seems to push back a bit and then rotate. I'm still able to get my sites settled back in with no problem. More of a preference if you ask me.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 8, 2014, 09:25 PM   #11
vladan

Quote:
Just wondering if folks feel the same way about the 40 S&W as you did say 10 years ago?
Yep ... Still short and still weak
Old August 8, 2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I also love most other handgun cartridges. I don't give a rat's behind if one pistol cartridge is so-called much better than the other. Each one has their own attributes. Most of the common pistol cartridges really have no sizeable difference in effective self defense.
I agree.

I mentioned carrying a G29 for CCW. Well, yeah. I do. In the winter months when I can add a layer of concealment clothing. In these warm California summer months, I carry a 9mm. And sometimes I carry a 357 loaded with 38+P's. Point is, I consider them to be equally effective with proper shot placement.

Most likely, the OP isn't looking for a discussion of terminal ballistics. And he won't get one from me.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Dirty_Harry

Nope. It's a completely overrated round. Far too much snap and no real world advantage over a 9.

I will take the cost, capacity and the lack of recoil of a 9 mm all day long.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 9, 2014, 02:07 AM   #14
Bongo Boy

I like to shoot it about as much as I always have, and still carry it from time to time when I need a smaller gun. I've found it somewhat challenging to find accurate loads for, but on the lighter side have found several loads more that adequate for say IDPA shooting. It is the smallest round I'm still okay with for a defense load, but after discovering 10mm, I rarely carry it anymore.

For economics, ease and options of handloading and capacity, I still think it's a pretty good round. I find no significant difference in recoil between it and 9mm in small handguns, and I can easily load ammo that's more fun to shoot than any factory 9mm I've seen. Given it's more appealing to handload for me than 9, it's my choice over that option.

10mm is The One for me for now, however, and I have 2-3000 bright clean 40SW cases sitting on the bench that may just never get loaded again, or at least time soon. For my purposes, 10mm is as perfect as it gets.
Old August 9, 2014, 02:41 AM   #15
kcub

Quote:
Nope. As a matter of fact I become more disappointed with it as time goes by. It blinds people to the magnificance of the10mm.
Funny you should mention that. Last Sunday I was shooting my .40 Sig X5 with L1 trigger as well as my Wilson 10mm CQB. The Sig actually had more felt recoil. Whether it was because of the high bore axis of the Sig or the bull barrel of the Wilson or some of both I can't say. Both are super accurate and capable of hitting a soda can 50 yards off when I do my part. The Wilson even has fixed sights.

Back to the .40. I honestly think it is a better defensive round than the 9 or the .45 but behind the .357 Sig or its ballistic twin, the .38 Super. I don't care what anyone says, .40 makes cans move around more than 9mm, similar to .38 special vs. .357 magnum in revolvers.

As far as liking to shoot it? It depends on the gun. In my EDC the Walther PPS I can't tell the difference between .40 and 9mm so I carry the .40. Some guns handle the .40 well, some don't as far as shootability. Glocks don't, Sigs don't, HKs do in my opinion. I imagine a .40 1911 is ok just extrapolating from my experience with the 10 which is not bad to shoot at all, certainly no worse than .45 yet much better.
Old August 9, 2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Sevens

I like the .40 S&W far, FAR more than I did 10 years ago... or even 5 years ago.

I only actually own one single .40 S&W built pistol, a Smith & Wesson 4006 I picked up a couple months back because it was a good deal. For me, most of my .40cal is chucked from my EDC, a Glock 29 with an accessory KKM-.40S&W barrel. It's accurate and runs flawlessly and it allows me to practice with my carry gun without the utter chaos of trying to find my flung 10mm brass.

Yes, yes, I know, I don't have the exact recoil "feel" when I'm running 950 fps 180gr .40cal ammo, but I do a lot of shooting across half a dozen calibers just about every other week. I'm adaptable and I am quite happy with my ability with a handgun. It truly is not something I'm worried about, and I have no desire (nor delusions) of being any manner of a polished warrior. I'm capable enough to be comfortable with my abilities.

Years back, I absolutely LOATHED the .40 S&W because it garnered a really bad name as a somewhat "dangerous" round at the load bench. That the guns built for it were basically 9mm sized guns did not help and reckless/careless handloaders exacerbated the problem, as did poor case head support in some guns. Most of this has improved over time, as has the quality of the brass.

I still don't have much desire to chase down new .40 cal chambered handguns... but truth is, I really don't chase down new handguns anyway.
Old August 9, 2014, 04:40 AM   #17
kcub

5 years ago 40 ammo was all you could find which is reason enough for having one.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:00 AM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
Because the Internet Gunforum hive mine consensus on .40 has changed? "too snappy!" "9mm's just as good!" Whatever.

My mind is unchanged. I own two, shoot them, carry them.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; August 9, 2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:19 AM   #19
wojtekimbier

Posted August 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
For personal defense, they already got it right in 1902 in Germany. No matter how many wish it weren't so, the 9x19mm Parebellum strikes a near-perfect balance of controlability, power, and capacity that makes it the world's premier fighting pistol caliber. With todays hollow point technology, it gives up nothing to the larger caliber like .40 S&W, but still had the advantages listed above.
Posted August 9:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
No other cartridge offers the perfect balance of stopping power and capacity that the .40 does. It is IMHO, the premier fighting combat pistol cartridge of all time.
Reading another thread I just noticed your opinions change very fast

Personally, I believe there is no good reason to step up from 9mm to .40 S&W, but there is also no good reason against it (other than increased recoil and slightly reduced capacity). They are both very similar, so if you can handle the recoil, you can't go wrong either way.

I used to think that .40 is superior, but now I see there isn't enough of a difference.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:28 AM   #20
Shotgun Slim

Still lovin the .40 after all these years. I can load light for accuracy and good manageable recoil for IDPA,a little heavier for dueling tree action with 200 grain pills and then get stronger loads for bowling pins. It covers everything I want to do. Yes I have reloaded for and shot 9,10 and 45 but the .40 suits me better.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:00 AM   #21
Ruger480

I read this and it makes sense to me.

http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

For you guys claiming to load 200+ grain bullets, what velocities are you getting?

It would look to me like the 40 is limited to/does best with 165 grain pills. If that's the "case" (pun intended), do you really think its that's great?
Old August 9, 2014, 09:49 AM   #22
gyvel

My attitude towards the .40 has changed, but in an opposite way.

My first two .40s in the 90s were major disappointments regarding accuracy and I became a little disillusioned about the calibre. (Springfield Armory Linkless .40 and a Smith & Wesson 4006.)

Once I got a Browning Hi-Power and was actually able to hit something, however, my attitude changed, and it is now one of my favorites. Currently, besides my Hi-Power I have a CZ 75 in .40, a Beretta 96 and a Witness, all of which perform admirably with .40.

While I do like 9mms, I think .40 is a slightly superior cartridge in the same size package.
SIFE
Old August 9, 2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Pico

Back to 9

Any truth to the internet rumors about the FBI and other agencies going back to 9 mm from .40? This seems very unlikely to me. I heard "increased wear" to the frames from the .40 is the reason.

Pico
Old August 9, 2014, 10:05 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Nope. I still think the idea that a more powerful pistol round would have solved the Miami shootout to be a laughable conclusion. The answer was rifles for officers on patrol and those going after suspects known to be dangerous. Sadly it took a long time before that became standard. People can have ridiculous expectations of pistols. I know that is what is the easiest to carry, but be a realist. There is no magic pistol round.

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:28 AM   #25
N R A

One must plan, train, in hopes of never turning deadly force on another person, or persons. That being said, if I have to use DF against someone, I want to hit them hard enough to get them stopped. The only practical auto loader that is high capacity and hits harder than a .40 is its big brother 10mm.

I make use of both. In the country, I carry 10mm. In the city, a somewhat smaller Glock 23 is a good compromise of size gun, for round potential.

9mm is a good round, however, on any measuring platform, except capacity, which is close, it is less than .40, so why defend myself with less?

There is a not for public interview of the remaining officers from the Miami shootout,, that has made it to You Tube. Anyone studying that event, with the aid of this video, would have to conclude .357 revolvers with .38 ammo is pretty well one cause of the outcome of that day. Add to that dropped guns, lost guns, wounded officers unable to effectively return fire, no rifles or shotguns at hand ready to use, and under estimating the deadly force that was about to be unleashed at them.

Last edited by N R A; August 10, 2014 at 02:42 AM.