The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 4, 2002, 07:38 PM   #1
NoVAlooker

Northern Virginia Gun Club

Does anyone know anything about this place. A friend is a mmber and keeps trying to get me to jon. Is it worth the 2 hour drive from DC?

Old October 4, 2002, 08:45 PM   #2
cookhj

the fairfax rod and gun club has great ranges. i used to shoot at their 200yd rifle range for the opening matches of the service rifle season. it's right outside of manassas right on the bullrun i believe.
Old October 4, 2002, 08:51 PM   #3
NoVAlooker

Yeah, Ive been to fairfax. Very nice facilities, but it has a 5 year wait and I can't afford it

The Northern Virginia Gun Club is actually down 95, almost to Richmond. I ca't find any info on it, but supposedly they have a 300 yd covered range and a couple of hundred deserted acres on the water with blinds and all

Old October 6, 2002, 09:50 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah, Fairfax Rod & Gun is a LOT different.

Also, last time I checked, HIDEOUSLY expensive.

And, judging by the few times I've been there, not populated by some of the friendlier people in the gun community.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 7, 2002, 12:17 AM   #5
fed168

Fairfax Rod and Gun has really gone downhill. I used to pull targets there and shoot a bunch there when I was younger, and when I visit home the range just doesn't seem as fun. Many of the ranges were closed for a good while, baffles were installed on the high power range, and the quality of shooters went downhill.
I don't like range nazis, especially ones who think they are better than you. Especially at a private range. Big difference between the rifle/ pistol shooters and the shotgun/ bullseye shooters.
Lots of infighting amongst the staff and perceived liablity issues made some serious changes.
But alas, it is the only place my father is a member and the closest place to shoot rifle.
Old October 8, 2002, 11:19 AM   #6
Roadrunner

I've been patiently waiting for my application to work its way through the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club. I've been shooting there since last year as a guest and have felt very welcomed at the various events. The wait is long because their bylaws limit the membership to only 950 members. The club recently completed a $1.5 million upgrade to their ranges, including improved baffles and overall appearance. The upgrade had shut down some of the ranges, but they are now up and running. I've been told there are plans/discussions for adding new ranges. There is a school just over the hill from the club so they are quite concerned about safety and the potential for any rounds leaving the ranges. If you have seen the club's website, the improved ranges look much nicer then the old photos still on their website.

I'm a member of the Izaak Walton League (Arlington-Fairfax Chapter), our range is in Centerville. The website has membership info and you can request a membership package. The dues are inexpensive and the ranges are nice (trap/skeet, handgun & rifle on a 100-yard range). We even have a nice fishing pond too. The last time I heard, the membership was up around 2200 members. The rifle range can get busy on the weekends, especially during deer season. I was there yesterday afternoon sighting-in a new rifle and scope. There were only two other shooters on the 12+ lanes.
Old October 8, 2002, 12:53 PM   #7
cookhj

i didn't know that the NoVA gun club was that close to richmond. let me know when you find out more info on it. i would like to be able to use a 300yd rifle range without trying to talk my way into using the ranges at quantico.