The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2002, 09:30 PM   #1
Corey

Motor for a homemade case tumbler

I am looking for a motor size for a homemade case tumbler. I got a set of plans for it from a link in one of the threads a few months ago, but the article does not say anything about a motor voltage, and RPM. If anybody could tell me the size of the motor in their case tumbler (purchased or homemade) it would be most appreciative.
Old January 29, 2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Edward429451

Mine is 120V, and while it has no markings, it looks suspiciously like those motors for Induced draft motors for some furnaces, and cooler motors for drinking fountains. Those motors are fractional HP, like 1/25th or 1/20th, and rpms are in the neighbrohood of 3000 rpms. Most common brand for these types of motors is FASCO. Go to your local Heat & Air supply house and talk to them guys, they're very helpful...

Dont know if I'm right, but its a place to start.
Old January 30, 2002, 05:07 PM   #3
Corey

Thank you kindly. I am going to tkae a look this weekend and see if I can find one. If all goes well, I should have it running by the middle of next week.
Old January 30, 2002, 05:31 PM   #4
Larry Ashcraft

Corey, do you still happen to have that link?

Thanks!
Old January 31, 2002, 12:32 AM   #5
ernest2

tumbler motor

corry

Tumbler motors are 120 volts and 1750 or slower rpm for
drum type rotating tumblers. If you try to use a 3450 rpm motor ,
the drum will spin too fast for the cases to tumble because the centrifugal speed of the spinning drum at high rpm's will pin the cases and the media to the walls of the drum, thereby preventing tumbling action from occuring.

Try remembering the last time you saw a cement mixer drum revolving and the slow rpm that the mixer drum was rotating at
and you will have the general idea.

Dont use a 3450 rpm motor unelse you intend to gear it down
to a lower rpm.

My thumbler's tumbler uses a .6 amp impedance protected shaded pole 120 volt , 1750 rpm motor with 1/ 20th horsepower;
however , it is a small tumbler only suitable for up to 300 cases
at a time.

The size of the drum you intend to rotate will determine the horsepower you need to use.

An old whirlpool or kenmore 3 speed automatic washer motor,
located in any junk yard that has washing machines, will yield
1/3 (old timer motors) to 1/2 hp (most motors after 1970) and have 3 main windings, 1 for 900 rpm's delicate wash low speed winding, 1 for gentile wash , 1100 rpm mediun speed and one for
normal wash at 1725 rpms.

These are split phase capacitor start motors using a centrifugal start switch and a start capacitor to energize the start winding
momentarily to start the motor rotating.

All this is built onto the motor when you remove it from the washing machine as well as a electric hook up schimatic glued
onto the back access cover of the washer.

You will need to locate a before 1985 whirlpool or kenmore washer to retreve this motor because in 1986 whirlpool changed
to a dual shaft timer controled motor, mounted horizontally
into the transmission , similar to a starter motor mounted into a car.

The motor I am talking about is a vertical mounted single shaft
with a 3 inch diameter v belt pulley on it.

Dont pay the junk man more that $10.oo to 20.oo for this now
obsolete motor because it does not fit the new washers and the
junk man should be overjoyed to get 10 bucks for it.

I made a wonderfull variable speed firearm buffing machine from one of these motors that allows me to polish and gun to a mirror
finish before I reblue it and I was considering using the same motor to power a extra large homemade tumbler that would tumble 1000 rounds or more at once, but the same motor could be used for a small tumbler no problem.

REMEMBER----DRUM rotating speed around 20 to 30 rpm, max.

Use a very small pulley on the motor and a very big pulley on the drum.

Some day I am going to make me a big homemade tumbler for myself
and if I dont use it to tumble brass I'll use it to mix cement instead!
Old January 31, 2002, 05:29 PM   #6
Corey

To Trophy Shop:

No I do not still have it, but you should be able to find it if you search the old articles in here.

To Ernest 2:

That is a great deal of help. I am planning on mopunting the motor in the center of a 6" by 6" piece of plywood with a 3 " by 1" by 1/2" counterweight on the end of the motor. It will be tumbling a container about 1 to 1 1/2 gallons in size. The parts to do this has cost me $ 25 Canadian so far, so if I can get this motor cheap I will be doing OK.