The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 09:18 PM   #26
natterminalvelocity

Why would you have a handgun on safety in there's no round in the chamber?

I meant "with"
Old June 25, 2012, 01:38 AM   #27
UnbearablePanda

Sorry, but if youve ever been in a riot. Once again when 30 swat pumps a shotgun at once, it quiets down fast.
Old June 25, 2012, 02:20 AM   #28
youngunz4life

Quote:
anyone have any problem where their shotgun goes off without pulling the trigger?
No
Old June 25, 2012, 08:44 AM   #29
johnbt

"The old Winchester M97 is a good example . Many old and worn ones are out there and the problem has been known for many years. "

Oh heck, my great uncle Bern had a new 97 that would do it. It only got worse as the years went by and when I was little in the early '50s I wasn't allowed to use it.

I suppose he could have hauled it to the hardware store (later turned into a restaurant on the downtown mall) in Charlottesville and sent it off, but he said he was used to it.

John
Old June 25, 2012, 09:50 AM   #30
Spammy_H

I witnessed a shotgun firing when chambering a shell one time. I was right next to the shooter, and saw the fact that their finger was outside of the trigger guard. We took that particular shotgun out of service for the day.

When he took it home and cleaned it, he said it was as dirty as he'd seen a gun, and concluded that the firing pin must have gotten stuck protruding "out" due to the buildup of gunk.

He cleaned it out and couldn't reproduce the situation.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:27 AM   #31
zippy13

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you have a handgun on safety in there's no round in the chamber?
I meant "with"
Nat,
And, I meant to say if there's no round, not in there's no round. Too bad these computers don't say what we're thinking, and not our fingers' key strokes -- there would be fewer misunderstandings.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:23 PM   #32
Steel Talon

Quote:
Sorry, but if youve ever been in a riot. Once again when 30 swat pumps a shotgun at once, it quiets down fast.
Yes,yes I have...As as a line officer, team leader, to commander, to incident commander. State and Federal level. From Morenci to Atlanta

I've always found that the first less than lethal munitions used that get peoples attention are skip shooting "Knee Knockers" (37mm multiple baton rounds) Anyway its the situation that calls for the tactics to be used.

I agree that in a closed in environment "gym" "mess hall" etc. 30 slides simultaneously racking would sound quiet impressive.

But, enough about me. I'm old and I prefer to hear others experiences.

Such as your experiences?..
Old June 25, 2012, 12:56 PM   #33
zippy13

How do you convince a BG that you just happen to have 30 shotgun armed SWAT officers visiting in your home when he's making his intrusion?
Oops... sorry, we seem to have wondered off topic.
Old June 25, 2012, 01:48 PM   #34
TheKlawMan

It's not the same as a riot, but back in the VietNam anti-war demonstrations the college kids would have noticed the LAPD racking shotguns. Besides using ears, people see what is going on and those kids were real concerned with everything the officers did.
Old June 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #35
Steel Talon

I believe that the myth of the paralyzing effect of "racking slide" is given to much credence as fact. Now, in a dark room I would have a moment of "Oh s--hit!"

In an active civil unrest/disobedience/disturbance you will not hear it . Simply put the noise levels are to high.

Klaw, you are correct; You get more psychological response from the presence of authority, formations, and tatics.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:02 AM   #36
darkgael

huh

Quote:
(full auto SxS gun)
Huh?
I have had two SXSs double on me.....but I had to pull the trigger first.
One was an old LeFever. It would fire both barrels if the rear trigger was pulled first. Worn sear.
The other was a single trigger Baikal IZH-43. My fault partly....had my finger on the barrel selector while hunting and, evidently had pushed it so that both barrels were engaged. Happened once.
Pete
Old June 27, 2012, 07:06 PM   #37
BoogieMan

Back to the OP. Franchi had a problem with unprovoked firring years ago. I have a friend who was part of one of many lawsuits filed against them. Guy nearly lost his foot while bird hunting. I am sure they have fixed it since that time. If you have any doubt bump your gun around at the range (pointed down range of coarse), hit the stock the forearm etc. I highly doubt you can make it fire without pulling the trigger.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 27, 2012, 07:44 PM   #38
TheKlawMan

I don't have a problem with my shotguns going off when I don't pull the trigger, but I do have a problem with them not going off when I pull the trigger. Worse is when they go off and all I hit is sky.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:21 AM   #39
Virginian

Only once. Turned out to be a tiny piece of shell base fragment lodged right in the sear notch on a semi automatic 12 gauge. What are the odds? Glad I had it pointed in a safe direction both times it went off. Positive reinforcement.
Old June 30, 2012, 11:20 PM   #40
Sheikyourbootie

Quote:
Spammy_H

I witnessed a shotgun firing when chambering a shell one time. I was right next to the shooter, and saw the fact that their finger was outside of the trigger guard. We took that particular shotgun out of service for the day.

When he took it home and cleaned it, he said it was as dirty as he'd seen a gun, and concluded that the firing pin must have gotten stuck protruding "out" due to the buildup of gunk.

He cleaned it out and couldn't reproduce the situation.
The Ithica 37 I got a couple months ago was so rusted on the inside, it did just what you describe. The gun has the "slamfire/pumpfire" feature and the trigger had so much crap it was stuck in the depressed position. After complete dis-assembly/cleaning I have not been able to reproduce this in the past few hundred rounds.