The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
longfellow

Opinions of the 22LR conversions

One of the options I'm considering, as I poke around local GS's for a 22 autoloader is the conversion idea. I know that they exist for the 1911, Glock, and Sig. There may be more. Some of these platforms fit me better than the dedicated 22 so I'd like to ask the following;
I'd like some feedback on where they fit in the accuracy spectrum.
If a Smith 41 and the more exotic role-specific target autos are at the top with the Buckmarks and Mark II/III's are below them and the 'fun guns' (I won't mention these because I'd rather this not turn in to an arguement over whether they should be called such) are at the bottom, what conversion packages are available and what are your accuracy experiences at 25 yards? I am not a Bullseye shooter, but honestly I'd lose interest quickly if a 22 auto can not keep five shots inside the X ring of a B8 target off a machine rest (inherent accuracy) as it seems many of the Rugers and Brownings can do (either out of the box or with a bit of pistol work).

Also if the precision is there but the gun has an incurably bad trigger, I'd like to know that as well since it is "practical" capability that is ultimately important, which is not in the equation with a machine rest.
Thanks,
Ed
Old February 14, 2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Sevens

I have precious little hands-on experience with rimfire conversions, but keep in mind that one of the simple reasons that Buck Marks and Ruger MK series pistols shoot so accurately is due to a fixed barrel. The slide reciprocates and closes ON to the fixed barrel, and not around it.

IMO, if you'd like a rimfire to reproduce practice with a 1911, get a GSG or a Colt/Umarex and enjoy, but don't expect the kind of accuracy that you'd get with a Model 41 or a Ruger.

If it's about lower cost practice and mimicking a larger caliber handgun, then you can do that at the cost of precision.

Personally, I have never cared for the very idea of a rimfire conversion because the economics don't seem to make much sense to me, the hassle of swapping it over vs. having a WHOLE other handgun, et all.

For "training" or "practice" that is actually supposed to simulate what you'd do with a defensive pistol -- shooting rimfire just isn't going to come close. If what you need to practice is all about the draw stroke and fit/reach, you can do all of that with an unloaded full-caliber pistol or a blue gun.

Don't mistake this opinion as not seeing the need or want for rimfire -- I love my KMK-512 and it might be the single best shooter that I own and I'd take this pistol to my grave and the joy it brings me is hard to accurately describe. I shoot it for a thousand reasons and any kind of trigger time will always help to make you a better shooter even if the platform is different.

But to train with a lower cost alternative? Handloading is the most accurate way to accomplish that, IMO.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Venom1956

Honestly It depends, just like it depends which .22 pistol you shoot. Some conversions are made with accuracy as a focus, others are made to lower the cost of practicing with full sized gun.

Which units were you looking at perhaps we can help you better?

Other factor is cost. some conversions cost just as much as a complete fullsized .22 pistol. which would you rather have another upper for your gun or two complete functioning weapons?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 14, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Marquezj16

I have looked at it the same way. I wanted a rimfire to mimic my centerfire pistols in function. I ended up with a SR22 because it has a decocker and is DA/SA like three of my other pistols. I know it's not the exact same controls but it was better than the alternative of buying a conversion or buying a Mosquito which has had less than stellar reviews (I may still get one though). I did look at the rimfire conversion for my P220, but they cost just as much as buying a whole pistol. My next rimfire pistol would most likely be a Sig 1911-22 as I have two 1911s that I would like a understudy for.

If I shoot 550 rounds of 22lr through my rimfire, it's a whole lot cheaper than any 9mm or 45 ACP ammo, whether factory or reload.
Also the repetition of shooting those 550 rounds could help me become a better shooter.
Old February 14, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Crow Hunter

I have a Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock that I have had since they 1st came out.

It works great in my opinion.

I have a flip target that has 4 hanging 1.5" squares and a 5th reset square. 1 out of every 5 times I can clean it 2x with 10 round at 15 yards. Most of the time I miss 2 or 3. (This is taking my time slow fire)

This is using cheap Wal-mart Remington Golden bulk packs.

It has paid for itself many times over. I think of it as dry firing practice with feed back.

It also really good for training new shooters who are not used to the big boom and recoil of full powered ammo.

The dedicated .22s are quite a bit more accurate, but for my uses the conversion is superior. (Exact same trigger/sights/grip angle/Etc)
Old February 14, 2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Pilot

I only have one conversion unit, and it is a real winner. The CZ Kadet Kit. It fits on all of my CZ-75 based pistols, and is very accurate and reliable. It rivals some of my Ruger MK II's for accuracy and is only limited by the trigger characteristics of each gun.

The other I would consider is a Marvel unit for one of my 1911's.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Dashunde

I dont really see much of a point in the conversions.
Yes, I guess you get the same grip and trigger, but... that may not be good or fun for plinking.

Most of the quality conversions are priced close enough to a nice whole pistol to make them somewhat useless to me.
I'd take the least expensive Buckmark over the most expensive conversion every time.

The only way I see value in a conversion is as a addition to a bug-out bag... fit the .22lr conversion to get small game dinner instead of blowing it up with a centerfire.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Darmok

I have a Ciener .22LR conversion unit for my Browning Hi-Power. Incredibly, I can shoot it every bit as accurately as my Browning Buck Mark Hunter with its 7.25" barrel. My best ever scores, shooting slow-fire bullseye targets offhand, are just about identical between the two, though my average score tends to be better on the Buck Mark.

I can shoot the Ciener unit a bit more accurately than the Hi-Power with its stock 9mm upper.

The reason I use a Ciener unit instead of just buying a dedicated .22 pistol (which I also have--the Buck Mark) is because the grip and trigger are identical to my Hi-Power with its 9mm upper, and the balance feels pretty close. I can use the exact same positioning of my hands between the two. So really the only significant thing that differs between my defensive gun and my high-volume practice gun is the recoil (and the cost of ammo).
Old February 15, 2012, 07:43 AM   #9
longfellow

good feedback

Thanks all for the information.
I have a pretty clear path forward.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Hammerhead

I've had conversions on a 1911 (Ceinier), Beretta 92 (Ceinier?), P220 (Sig) and a Kadet Kit for my CZ 75 9mm. The Kadet is far and away the best of the bunch IMO. It's as accurate and reliable as my Mark II, works with any ammo and is all steel, so it feels just like the 9mm version. The Kadet is not cheap though.

The Sig 220 conversion was real nice for the money ($270) it shot most ammo well, but it was not as reliable as the Kadet.

I had the other two so long ago that I can't really comment.

I think the conversions are best used as a tool for mastering the centerfire pistol, they don't always make the best stand alone .22 pistol.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #11
surveyor

like some others mentioned, the best accuracy will come from a fixed barrel.

as far as conversions, the cz kadet is a winner..really sweet if put on a single action only frame...

i am looking at doing the conversion on a 1911, and am looking hard at the advantage arms target model, marvel unit 1, and tactical solutions.. of the 3 advantage is the cheapest.. still about the price of a new buckmark though..

yes conversions are not cheaper than dedicated 22 pistols, not all are created equal, mags are spendy in cases..and some are ammo picky.

but if you like the same feel, frame and trigger it can be a option.

same thought as matching k frame s&w, 22 and 38....
Old February 15, 2012, 05:23 PM   #12
bn12gg

Longfellow-- You asked about the SW41 versus BuckMarks. I would
not put the BuckMark in a class with the SW41 although I have one
and pour the rounds thru it. The SW41 is a high end refined target
22; the Browning in the same class with it is the Browning Medalist.
Also, while the Browning Medalist is argueably the finest looking semi
auto ever built many believe the SW41 can outshoot it most days.

The SW41 continues to be built today (the Medalist was discontinued
in 1974- mine is a 1973). The early SW41's (late 50's and into the
70's) are the best of the breed in most people's estimation.

Just my .02 David