The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2009, 03:08 AM   #26
breed

so you have to be a felon or a tin hat conspiracy nut to like something different...
Old June 10, 2009, 04:39 AM   #27
olmontanaboy

I guess I dont see what the difference is either, historical correctness aside. I like percussion revolvers for what they are, some people like to have the option to fire modern cartridges in them, hey, thats cool. I don't see this as any different other than it was origionaly a cartridge gun refitted to percussion and now refitted to fire cartridges again
Old June 10, 2009, 07:38 AM   #28
pwillie

A spice rack has an assortment of spices,no conspiracy in my kitchen,and I like different flavors,Tradition 1873 that can be converted is unique in my opinion.
Old June 10, 2009, 08:21 AM   #29
CraigC

I'm all for uniqueness but for me there has to be some practical reason for its existence.
Old June 10, 2009, 09:23 AM   #30
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I'm all for uniqueness but for me there has to be some practical reason for its existence.
Smoke, flame and noise is reason enough for me. I'm a big fan of uniqueness and as far as I'm concerned people should be able to do what they want with their guns (that's legal).
Although I'm not a big fan of conversion cylinders, a R-M conversion would make me smile.
Old June 10, 2009, 11:41 AM   #31
CraigC

Quote:
...a R-M conversion would make me smile.
Absolutely! My 1872 Open Top and 1860 Richards Transition model .44Colts are among my favorite sixguns. An 1851 is next on my list.
Old June 10, 2009, 12:27 PM   #32
Smokin_Gun

1873bp saa uberti

My Uberti C&B SAA is one of the most accuate C&B Revs I own...I liked it I wanted it and I bought it. And anyone who can't understand that logic ...well that's jus' too dam'n bad... Why do people have to rag on anyone that does or has something differant or that they may not understand or like?
I am surprized at what a few people have said to Breed for sharing something he has accomplished...
I know of and have posted about a Uberti 1873BP converted(That was me)...they have a removable firing pin that can be replaced by VTI all else that is needed is a cartridge cylinder and the outline of the hole drilled out and the Colt cart firing pin bushing installed... I posted that thread that Breed spoke of.
I never tired of shooting mine in the C&B configuration , so mine is original and a collectable for the series Uberti made to ship to England...that's why I bought it.
If I wanted to convert it I could and not with too much effort or cost.
How many shooters here have converted C&B Colts or Rems to shoot .45 Colt or .44 Colt/Rem, .38Colt or .38SPL, 32S&W? Why did you do that? Cause you could? Indeed...
What's the differance and what's the big deal?
Breed, I am in a position that I would sell my Uberti to ya if you want it as I could use the money, in my current situation it would surely help.
1873BP SAA 7 1/2" .44 Uberti $350 shipped to your door.(xlint shape)
The Top one is the Uberti the Bottom one a Pietta Gunslinger and was sold with 7 xtra cylinders and cyl. pouches belt and holster.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; June 10, 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 10, 2009, 01:54 PM   #33
CraigC

Quote:
Why do people have to rag on anyone that does or has something differant or that they may not understand or like?
Pwillie asked for opinions and that's what he got. Can't always tell somebody what they want to hear. I stand behind everything I said and it's worth exactly what was paid for it.....nothing. Anybody can feel free to venture forth and cobble together a cartridge gun out of a percussion Model P if they want, I just don't feel comfortable with encouraging it.

I've intentionally kept my opinion of the percussion 1873 to myself.

Last edited by CraigC; June 11, 2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Unwadding panties
Old June 10, 2009, 03:07 PM   #34
breed

thanks for the offer smoking gun. but i ordered one this morning and had it sent next day. as for the few negative opinions. there just that to me opinions. i could care less. the op asked if any one had any experience with a traditions 1873 bp. i think he found what he was looking for...as for encouraging any one to modify there gun. i would hope that we are all grown men. with the ability to make up are own mind.
Old June 10, 2009, 05:24 PM   #35
Smokin_Gun

Yer welcome Breed and congrads on the new one.
Old June 10, 2009, 05:26 PM   #36
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Dude asked for opinions and that's what he got. Can't always tell somebody what they want to hear. I stand behind everything I said and it's worth exactly what was paid for it.....nothing.
So CraigC you admit to raggin' on people...what a gentleman :O)

Who's this Dude guy anyway...I din't see is post...
Old June 10, 2009, 10:16 PM   #37
pwillie

Smokin Gun: I think he was saying I am a "Dude" ,well that may be so,but thats just slang for some one who doesn't know me and never will. Thanks guys,I will let you know about the conversion,Willie

Last edited by pwillie; June 11, 2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: because I wanted to.
Old June 10, 2009, 10:22 PM   #38
Smokin_Gun

Ok Pwillie ... much success and safe journey the good Lord willin' an' the River don't rise!
Old June 11, 2009, 01:27 AM   #39
CraigC

Lord have mercy, can't believe how much you have to tiptoe around a blackpowder forum to keep from offending someone's delicate sensibilities. My humblest apologies, I had no idea a grownup would be so put off by the word "dude".

I admit to nothing but giving my opinion on bubba-smithing a percussion Model P back into a cartridge gun. If the OP doesn't like it, you and he (who has been here a full two days!) are fully free to ignore it and not get your drawers in a bunch. Just don't come crying back when your sixgun doesn't function because the hole in the firing pin bushing is three times as big as the firing pin. Usually a problem you fix on an old gun, not one you create on a new one but it's your gun to mutilate as you see fit.
Old June 11, 2009, 03:02 AM   #40
Smokin_Gun

Sorry DUDE din't mean for you to get yer panties stuck either...love to talk underwear with ya but this is a Black Powder/Cowboy forum after all,
Man I never thought a guy that used DUDE would get so upset about something he'd never do...chill man be cool
Old June 11, 2009, 07:32 AM   #41
pwillie

Craig: Lets start all over, I am not a newbie to guns. I have a smith that builds quality rifles for me,and has 30 yrs experience in his vocation.I am sure your post were well meaning.My question was about the feasiblity of changing a revolver from black powder to cartridge firing,nothing to do with your opinion about whether I should or not.I do appreciate your response,and all others as well.Trust me, I can afford to throw the revolver in the scrap iron bin if it doesn't work.Now that said,I am not,will, can't be a "Dude",to many miles under my belt. I see your a senior member. When and if I become a senior member will I be allowed to use the term "Dude"?I just think its a demeaning term,other than that,thanks for your input.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:17 AM   #42
Hawg

pwillie, dude is not demeaning. It was a common thing to call somebody dude back in the day. A little antiquated now tho. I useta call everybody dude or duuuuuuuude. My best friend was a trucker and his cb handle was dude. Craig didn't mean anything demeaning by it, he's just showing his age.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:14 AM   #43
pwillie

The point is not about "Dude" but respect. I have a name,and would like to be reffered to by it.Whats wrong with reffering to me by my name?.....after all we are civil,no?
Old June 11, 2009, 10:30 AM   #44
CraigC

Only a fool takes offense where none was intended. If you're offended by the use of the word "dude", you've got a long, hard row to hoe buddy. Is "buddy" an acceptable vernacular???

As for hacking up your sixgun, just bear in mind that we're here to share ideas, not to stroke each other's egoes and tell everybody only what they want to hear. So you won't always get the response you 'want', but you will get lots of honest opinions, many of which are actually based on experience and a little bit of common sense. You are free to do whatever you want with those opinions for they are worth what you paid for them, use what you can and discard the rest.
Old June 11, 2009, 02:27 PM   #45
breed

what's there to hack up...the only thing you touch is the the firing pin.and put a new cylinder in. and if you'd like to go back to shooting c&b. you just put the cylinder back in. and your set. you can still us that same firing pin...wow
Old June 11, 2009, 02:46 PM   #46
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't think anyone is upset with anyone else. Let's all play nice here or this thread will be closed.
Old June 11, 2009, 04:43 PM   #47
CraigC

Quote:
what's there to hack up.
How do you handle the enlarged firing pin hole? The firing pin hole is typically only large enough for the firing pin to pass through. When the hole gets worn is when primers start flowing into the hole around the firing pin. Thus, tying up the gun. We're talking about only slightly enlarged, you're looking at a hole far larger. This issue has been mentioned several times and has yet to be addressed. If one does a little reading, you would see that any of the original cartridge conversions used a different hammer/firing pin setup from the percussion version. Being so because the primer/firing pin is inverted from a percussion ignition system. Where with a cartridge, the anvil is within the primer, the firing pin must only pierce the cup. With a percussion cap, the nipple is the anvil and the hammer is just that, a hammer. You can't just switch back and forth without addressing that issue and ignoring it won't make it go away. Sure, you may be able to cobble something together that works so-so some of the time but what's the point of that? Other than being able to say that you sort of accomplished something that was deemed by most to be too silly to even try in the first place.
Old June 11, 2009, 05:28 PM   #48
breed

just for the record i'm not up set with any one. i vale you every one's opinion. but the fact remains this gun shoots 45lc 45acp and 44 bp with out any problems. and i got the uberti version in to day. i'm turning it in to a thunderer 38 357. i already got a 4in barrel for it. i just have to find some one that can change the 44 bp cylinder to shoot 36 bp ball's. and when i find some one that well do some nickel work for me. i well show you two stunning bp guns.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:17 PM   #49
pwillie

I do not have a Uberti, I have a Tradition(Pietta),and the hole is ok to use as is.The cylinder nipples or offset,if I change the firing pin,it will work both ways(This is according to the schematic).I have ordered the parts,and will report the fit when they come in,Craig,no hard feelings,and I don't like the term "Red Neck" either.I am sure most people on this forum have a pet peeve.As Rodney said:lets all try to get along.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:22 PM   #50
Smokin_Gun

I wish now that i would have gotten the R&D Conversion for my Uberti 1873BP SAA when Midway was sellin' them ...they had too lengths of the bushing at the end of the cylinder one was .120" don't remember the other one. Would have been easy but I think i needed the one they were out of stock on. Ain't that always the way it is. Anyhow the Uberti 1873 SAA and the BP are the same basic revolver. Hammers and the half cut out firing pin hole and the cylinder are the differances...At least the Uberti hammers have replacable firing pins and are held in with a pivot pin like the Newer Colts.
Just a pic of a diagram below. It can be reverse engineered if one has the apptitude to do so. It does not need to be a cobbled, bubba'd up mess unless you know not what you are doing...and if ya don't know jus' leave well enough alone and go do what ever it is in shooting that makes you happy.
Black Powder Guns can be like a box a chocolates...you never know what you got till ya bite into one... "Forest Gump"
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...SAA+and+Target

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; June 11, 2009 at 08:35 PM.