The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 29, 2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Soclosenotnear

Building my first modern sporting rifle

Firstly, I'm sure there have been numerous threads like this, but I'm hoping to get advice on parts choices to build this rifle.

Secondly, economy is priority. The lower the price the better, but if a slight price difference yields worthwhile gains, that's the kind of parts I'm hoping to be tuned in to.

Today, I went to the local PSA, and picked up a stripped lower. It's a pa-15 that will end up shooting 5.56 out of a 16" barrel. I've done some research and it seems I want a 1:9 twist. All I will be doing with it is shooting at the outdoor range.

Unless better deals can be had, I figured I'd be best off just picking up the rest of my setup through PSA as well.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...rifle-kit.html

With the above kit or similar, I could come in at $520 taxes and all including the lower I picked up today.

But things like upgraded firing control groups interest me. Like this one:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...d-trigger.html

Then I'd need other individual components. Are any upgrades like that worthwhile? Or is it negligible when I could just pick up everything in a kit? Any other suggestions for low cost worthy parts/upgrades?

Last edited by Soclosenotnear; July 29, 2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old July 30, 2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Mobuck

Twist rates of 1-7 thru 1-9 will work well enough for most purposes. I don't shoot bullets over 55-60 (mostly 40-50)from a 16" so am satisfied with 1-9.
I buy quite a lot of parts from PSA. Shopping carefully only goes so far and quite often things go on sale immediately after I order but that's life.
Decide early on if you'll be happy with the basic stock/grip, hand guard. It will be cheaper to upgrade than to buy a second set of furniture cause you don't like the original set. I've found the OEM stocks don't have sling attachments that work for me.
The PSA enhanced trigger is well worth the $30 on sale. It's not quite as good as ALG QMS but it's a decent upgrade from mil-spec.
Getting the lower shipped/transferred is the big thing. One LGS ran a sale on Anderson lowers for $50 a while back. I didn't hear about it soon enough to stand in line for 2-3 to stash for later.
Old September 8, 2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Soclosenotnear

I got my PSA parts in today and built the lower. I went with there most basic lower parts kit, but with the enhanced trigger group as a minor upgrade. Fitment was good and so far everything went smooth.

YouTube showed me the way. Now on to the upper though. This is where I need to do the research and make the best decisions. The options are endless it seems. I'm at a loss.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:12 PM   #4
lockedcj7

Honestly, I find it hard to save money over buying a complete upper. They have their stainless complete upper on sale right now for $319. If I was building a KISS carbine, that's they way I'd go.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Mobuck

" Now on to the upper though. This is where I need to do the research and make the best decisions. "

I just finished putting together an "AR package" for a family friend. I used an Anderson stripped lower, PSA lower build kit with an upgrade to the "enhanced" trigger group, and an economy PTAC M-4(gery) complete upper.
The carbine turned out functional and accurate with both of the brands/types of ammo I tested--only limited by the sight/optic chosen by the user. My cost of the parts(rifle only--sights, mags, ammo extra) was around $450. I think PSA has a sale right now that will put you in at that price depending on tax/transfer/shipping. I don't see a real downside in using the PTAC line. I't quite adequate for most users' needs.
Today I test fired a new PSA Freedom stainless barrel upper that I plan to carry in my work vehicle. Everything worked well and groups were well within my needs for this carbine.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:53 PM   #6
Soclosenotnear

The PSA in summerville will be opening on September the 24th. That location is less than a five minute drive from my house. The closest one available right now is about 45 minutes down the road. It'll be a few weeks before I choose an upper, so I'll be able to stop in in person then.

Also, I recently discovered CBC, a company also just a few minutes away from me. They have some uppers I like for a very fair price, but I would have to choose a bcg/charging handle separately. Will any work with any upper?

http://www.cbcindustries.com/collect...handguard-rail

We have a Les baer at my work set up with an upper similar to this and it handles well in my opinion. Does any have experience with this style upper or this company in general?

Last edited by Soclosenotnear; September 9, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old September 9, 2016, 12:45 AM   #7
turtlehead

I prefer the term "evil black death machine". But whatever. Carry on.
Old September 9, 2016, 04:19 AM   #8
TMD

Quote:
Also, I recently discovered CBC, a company also just a few minutes away from me. They have some uppers I like for a very fair price, but I would have to choose a big/charging handle separately. Will any work with any upper?

http://www.cbcindustries.com/collect...handguard-rail

We have a Les baer at my work set up with an upper similar to this and it handles well in my opinion. Does any have experience with this style upper or this company in general?
I just picked up an upper from CBC a few weeks ago. They are built to order so expect it to take about two weeks to ship from date of order. First thing I did was take it apart to inspect all the parts and see if it was assembled properly. I must say for an entry level AR its a pretty good deal and I would put it on par with PSA any day.
Old November 16, 2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Soclosenotnear

Just to have a conclusion to the story, I went with the cbc upper. 16" 1:8 barrel, 13" keymod rail, low profile gas system, etc. Then, coupled with PSA bolt carrier group/charging handle. This brings my total cost in the rifle to around $580. I could have definitely cut corners and cost, but this is built how I wanted it for the most part.

I have some 45° flip up iron sights on the way, the whopping $20 set on eBay. They got great reviews, and these will be back ups to whichever red dot I decide on, so the price was right. Any suggestions on a 2-3 moa red dot for a budget build?

Last edited by Soclosenotnear; November 16, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old November 16, 2016, 05:10 PM   #10
marine6680

Primary arms makes good red dots.

If you want a bit more performance get the advanced micro red dot, it costs about $250 though. If you want to spend less, their standard micro red dot or larger standard red dot come in under $100.

The Vortex red dots are not bad either, and come in around $150-200.

Most red dots that cost under $100 are not going to hold up well, even for basic range use, on a center fire rifle. The PA red dots are built decent for the money though.
Old November 16, 2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Chainsaw.

Very nice. Some magpul furniture and she'll be a beaut. Holosun, primary, vortex all make good reddots for sub $250.

Oh, and uh...Welcome to your new addiction.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Soclosenotnear

Im excited to shoot it. I'll most likely wait until I get some sights on there. I like that it was completely made in my home state, although I'm sure somethings are outsourced.

I had only found the vortex scopes before. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll surely update as I add to it.

What were the advantages to the magpul stuff? I remember thinking it wasn't worth forking out the extra dough at the time. Just more comfortable? Oem style stuff not hold up?
Old November 16, 2016, 09:40 PM   #13
marine6680

More comfort and better ergonomics, especially the more vertically angled pistol grips. (the SL and K versions)

They are likely tougher too.
Old November 16, 2016, 11:21 PM   #14
rickyrick

Looks like this thread is covered.... but I'm jealous of you guys with as PSA store close by.
Old November 16, 2016, 11:22 PM   #15
rickyrick

I like freedom hose.
Old November 17, 2016, 08:33 AM   #16
Chainsaw.

Most of the magpul stocks (not the cheapest MOE) have a friction lock that kkeeps the stock from jiggling around on the buffer tube. Plus the have better cheek welds. The over molded rubber is a nice feel too, like sitting in an office chair vs a platic park bench.
Old November 17, 2016, 09:50 AM   #17
Independent George

The Bushnell TRS-25 (~$65) might be the best budget red dot out there. Don't expect it to be an Aimpoint, but it'll work just fine and hold zero.

You don't need the Magpul furniture, but it hits a really nice sweet spot of quality, budget, and ergonomics for a lot of people (including me). I think more vertical grips like the K2 are a huge improvement for modern shooting styles, but you can do just fine with an A2. It's all up to you.
Old December 8, 2016, 09:09 PM   #18
Soclosenotnear

We just got a 2010 eotech 512 at my work that I could scoop up for around $260ish which is about what they sell for on eBay, some auctions ending aroun $300. This would be nice because layaway would be an option.

Should I go ahead and bite the bullet on a nice optic, or will a first time ar shooter/owner be happy with the aforementioned red dots?
Old December 8, 2016, 11:32 PM   #19
DnPRK

EOTech has an issue where the electronics suffer from zero shift when it is hot or cold.
If I was on a budget, I would get a red dot sight from Primary Arms. They are cheaper than the EOTech and have a warranty.
Old December 9, 2016, 04:01 AM   #20
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnPRK
EOTech has an issue where the electronics suffer from zero shift when it is hot or cold.
Yes, they can be affected by extreme temperatures, but those temperatures are -40° F and 122° F.

So if you happen to find yourself in Death Valley in the summertime or Alaska in the wintertime, you might experience a 4 MOA zero shift with your EOTech. Otherwise, you probably won't have an issue.