The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2014, 05:05 PM   #1
CoyoteHunter5

Die Ring Locks

What's up guys! I'm getting into reloading, I've done my research, and I just want to know how I can lock the rings on my dies so I don't have to move the ring every time I reload. Thanks!
Old October 9, 2014, 05:15 PM   #2
pathdoc

What brand of die are you using? Hornady lock rings can be "set" with an Allen key and I bought some for my Lee dies when I was using a single stage press. Now I have a turret, the dies don't get changed anymore and I had clearance issues with the Hornady lock rings, so the Lee ones went back on.
Old October 9, 2014, 06:20 PM   #3
rg1

Some lock rings have a set screw, some a small allen head cross bolt, and some have screwdriver head screws. Just don't overtighten and use a wrench that fits the lock ring rather than trying to turn the die. If you try to turn the die it will often back out of the lock ring and mess up your adjustment.
Old October 9, 2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Jim243

What dies do you have???

Jim
Old October 9, 2014, 07:06 PM   #5
CoyoteHunter5

I am buying a Lee Precision Single Stage press. A little off topic, I'm really tickled with Hornady's Automatic powder distributor! I'm just going to start with a trickler over a scale, that's how I'll measure my powder out. Pathdoc, do all Lee Precision Dies come with that allen screw or flat head screw you mentioned? If someone could find me a decapper/neck sizing die and bullet seating die set with a cartridge holder set in .22-250, I would be tickled pink! Thanks!
Old October 9, 2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Bart B.

Both Redding and RCBS make 22-250 neck sizing die sets and shell holders. You'll typically get better accuracy with full length sizing dies. Full length bushing ones are popular in benchrest and other competitive disciplines.
Old October 9, 2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Quote:
do all Lee Precision Dies come with that allen screw or flat head screw you mentioned?
No. Lee dies ship with an aluminum ring with a rubber o-ring instead of a lock ring. They work OK.

Personally, I do not find it difficult to adjust dies. Years ago bought some locking rings. But I usually use Lee dies and rings, and even an RCBS die with a Lee ring. To me the purpose of the ring is to hold the die in place on the press - period. YMMV
Old October 10, 2014, 06:10 AM   #8
CoyoteHunter5

My only problem with having non locking dies is the fact that I have to reset them every time I put them back on said press. If I have to do that, I may not be precise each time, and I'll get different trajectories from the bullet being further in or out of the casing. Could I take a sharpie marker to mark where I want the ring each time?
Old October 10, 2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Bart B.

You can mark your dies any way you want to. They don't care how they look.

I don't think anyone will notice any trajectory differences with a few thousandths difference in bullet seating depth for ranges through 400 yards. Try it yourself to see what your stuff really does. That's better than guessing, assuming or supposing.

You can always use two lock rings on each die, then tighten them against eash other if neither have a simpler method of fixing their position on the die.

Or, once set in the press, squirt a bead of super glue around the lock ring against the die. That should make the rings well fixed to the die after the glue's hardened.
Old October 10, 2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Jeff2131

Make sure you know where the vent hole is before super glueing...if you glue that hole shut youll have problems. I set, mark, and then use double rings to lock in place. Theyve NEVER moved. Those allen set screws are usually brass...if you tighten them too much they will strip out and wont work anymore. What u could do also is, set the die, one.drop of loctite on the set screw and it shouldnt move either!
Old October 10, 2014, 08:46 AM   #11
chiefr

Quote:
My only problem with having non locking dies is the fact that I have to reset them every time I put them back on said press. If I have to do that, I may not be precise each time, and I'll get different trajectories from the bullet being further in or out of the casing. Could I take a sharpie marker to mark where I want the ring each time?

That is why I do not like Lee dies. The dies are great, but the rubber O-rings are good for only for progressives with removable tool heads where you set and forget and that is about it.

With Seating and belling dies, I use lock ring type. IMHO, Lees O-ring nuts are junk.
Old October 10, 2014, 10:57 AM   #12
pete2

Almost all die mfgs make locking rings, order RCBS, Lyman, Hornady etc. After using various dies I've decided I like RCBS the best altho no problems with Lyman or Hornady or Pacific. Rcbs or Lee seem to be easiest to find locally. I have 2 sets of Dillon dies, wish they were easier to adjust, may eventually change out the bullet seater to an RCBS.
Old October 10, 2014, 11:00 AM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
What's up guys! I'm getting into reloading, I've done my research, and I just want to know how I can lock the rings on my dies so I don't have to move the ring every time I reload. Thanks!
Forster and I think Hornady make split lock rings with a screw to tighten them.

Lee's lock rings with the O-ring washer work OK (and you will need to go with them if you have one of the Lee turret or progressive presses, as others tend to be too wide for the die spacing in their turret head).

Reading further in the thread:

Quote:
I am buying a Lee Precision Single Stage press.
Gotcha. Ignore what I said about the Lee lock rings.

Forster's lock ring

Hornady's lock ring

And scrolling a bit further down on Midway...

Lyman's (wait for it...) lock ring

Any should work, none are expensive, get one for each die.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old October 10, 2014, 11:19 AM   #14
F. Guffey

Quote:
I gain nothing by agreeing, I have never considered locking the ring to the die, I secure the die to the press with the lock ring, one hand, two wrenches.

I adjust the die to, below or off the shell holder every time. Once I adjust the die, I hold the die and then secure the die to the press with the lock ring. If in my possession there is a die that has the lock ring secured to the die, it is not my die.

An 0ld Friend gave me 16 sets of dies, while checking/cleaning the dies I checked the lock rings, not one die had the ring locked to the to die, OLD? our average age is 82. Along with the dies came the press, powder measure. scale, components, smith equipment, parts, books and tool boxes.

F. Guffey
Old October 10, 2014, 03:07 PM   #15
hartcreek

Once you start reloading on that single stage press you will understand how un necessary it is to have the lock ring locked in place. As others have stated that lock ring is only to hold the die in place. I have been reloading on a single stage press for more then 25 years and never have used the set screw and my dies are a mix of Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Dillon.......
Old October 10, 2014, 03:30 PM   #16
condor bravo

You could try Dillon Precission for their 1 inch hex lock rings. They do not come with a set screw and are great when tolerences are tight. They also have a 1 inch wrench to go with the rings. Their tel number is 800-223-4570.
Old October 10, 2014, 03:47 PM   #17
CoyoteHunter5

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm not really concerned about locking the Die into the Press, I'm more or less keeping the bullet at a constant depth into the casing, between reloading times. I plan to load about 150 casings at a time, then when I'm through with all 150, reload them again. How many times should I be able to reload Winchester and Federal brass?
Old October 10, 2014, 03:54 PM   #18
CoyoteHunter5

Will these rings

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

fit on these dies?

And Lee makes an auto hand primer that I like, but I've heard the cover breaks a lot, but they don't make replacements for them. Should I go with this?

Old October 10, 2014, 04:05 PM   #19
condor bravo

If you are asking about the Dillon 1 inch rings fitting the Lee dies; yes they definitely will. I've used quite a few with Lee dies.
Old October 10, 2014, 04:29 PM   #20
serf 'rett

Quote:
How many times should I be able to reload Winchester and Federal brass?
It all depends on many factors, but the basic answer is until:
1. necks begin to experience problem (splits, hardening, etc.)
2. bright rings begin to appear near case head
3. primer pockets loosen
4. other problems as detailed in your reloading manuals (I assume you have several which you have read in detail)

Quote:
Will these rings fit these dies?
7/8" rings should fit Lee's dies. I use mostly Hornady Sure Loc, RCBS steel and a couple of Lee lock rings; all in a Hornady quick change bushing setup in a RCBS Rock Chucker press. Ultra fast die changes.

Quote:
Lee hand primer...should I go with this?
I like the RCBS hand primer. It's my understanding they will replace if I break (which hasn't happened to date, speaking well of their quality from the get go). Drop down and read the recent reviews on the link you supplied. You get to pick your own poison.
Old October 10, 2014, 04:35 PM   #21
serf 'rett

Another note on the Lee Auto Prime XR - if I remember correctly, it will not work with standard shell holders. You must buy special shell holders. For more homework, go read reviews on item at MidwayUSA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413...ProductFinding
Old October 10, 2014, 04:58 PM   #22
CoyoteHunter5

Would the Lyman Primer or RCBS take a normal shell holder, like what's included in the die kit I'm buying?
Old October 10, 2014, 05:02 PM   #23
condor bravo

Note to Coyote Hunter:
Do not be confused by 7/8" and 1" references to die/lock ring dimensions. The 7/8" is the dimension of the die and the inside dimension of the lock ring. The 1" dimension is the outside dimension of the Dillon lock ring that is smaller than standard; thereby recommended when tolerences are tight.
Old October 10, 2014, 05:02 PM   #24
Bart B.

How many times can Winchester or Federal brass be reloaded?

It depends on how much smaller fired cases are made by the sizing die. Some people get over 50 reloads on Winchester and Federal brass using full length sizing dies set to move fired case shoulders back .001" or .002". Others get less than 5 with the way they set their dies in the press.

Way too high of pressures also shorten case life.
Old October 10, 2014, 05:08 PM   #25
pathdoc

IIRC late model RCBS hand primer tools have a clever one size fits (almost) all thingy to hold the case in. Older ones take the same shell holder as goes in your press.