The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 29, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Dickie B

S&W extractor problem ?

Fellow gun owners i need your help, just bought a S&W 29-3 and noticed the extractor hits frame face before center pin has a chance to push cylinder back. My question is the center pin to short or shoulder on pin wrong. our input would be appreciated Thanks
Old May 29, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
SgtLumpy

Not sure I can visualize what you're describing.

Cylinder swung out, as if loading/unloading?
In that position the extractor star hits the frame face?

Or something else?

Sgt Lumpy
Old May 29, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Dickie B

When cylinder is closed extractor rubs frame face before center pin pushes cylinder towards cone
Old May 29, 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The center pin is not supposed to "push the cylinder" forward. It is supposed to push the bolt (the part the thumb latch attaches to) back so it itself can push into the hole to keep the cylinder in place.

If the cylinder won't fully close because the extractor hits the frame, there may be dirt under the extractor, or there may be something else wrong. Hard to tell without seeing the gun.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 12:15 AM   #5
SgtLumpy

Extractor rod tightly screwed into the extractor? (L or R hand threads).

My Chief's Special is having problems with exactly that. It's at the pistol doctor right now. In my case, simply re-tightening it was not enough.

Sgt Lumpy
Old May 30, 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Dickie B

I have a pic that i hope will help, the shinny spot on edge of face is where extractor rubs face before pin contacts lead in ramp. On my other guns pin hits ramp first. LMK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (229.0 KB, 44 views)
Old May 30, 2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Bob Wright

Check under the extractor for powder particles or other gunk. Make sure the extractor seats corectly when the cylinder is swung out. Does you gun have aligning pins in the cylinder to align with holes (two or three) in the extractor star? If these are bent or unseated they may not allow the extractor to seat flush.

Bob Wright
Old May 30, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Dickie B

Thanks Bob i had cleaned pocket for extractor but did not look under extractor itself and there lied the problem. Cleaned it and it works like it should. Thank for your time and help!!!
Old May 30, 2013, 11:22 PM   #9
DaleA

Is this a great forum or what?
Old May 30, 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Sevens

The first time this happened to me (gunk under ejector star that simply won't allow it to sit flush), I was completely blown away by how WRONG the entire revolver was while having the problem.

If you've never experienced this, it's an eye-opener. The fitting is monumentally precise. I had just enough crud under the ejector so that I could close the cylinder, but not easily or naturally, and it would bind up horribly. It was a sickening feeling, like something went HORRIBLY wrong and wasn't likely to be fixable. You only sit there and imagine WHAT you did, which part got warped or bent or what you may have "blasted" out of shape to almost kill your prized revolver.

Well, not only was there no "fixing" of anything and absolutely nothing broken or bent, it was simply getting the offending crud out of the way. So slight that with the untrained eye, you could never see anything wrong.

Cleaned it out and back to "bank vault" kind of lock up and function. Like a Smith & Wesson is supposed to feel like. Precision mechanical operation with all parts working in full harmony.

If you didn't realize how much needs to be "in order" to allow a quality revolver to function as well as it does, you will learn something the first time it happens to you. And you'll forever laugh, maybe just quietly inside, every time you see someone talking about the "will always work, can't be stopped, ain't never ever gonna malfunction" nature of a nice revolver.

Man, I absolutely -LOVE- my revolvers. But I know far better than to think they are simple devices that can't or won't ever "stop." I know that it just doesn't take much at all to really stop one, and it isn't a simple tap-rack-bang to get running again.
Old May 31, 2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Dickie B

AMEN
Old May 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #12
pete2

I keep an old tooth brush handy during a match but I can usually clear it with my finger. I also dry brush the chambers to keep the fouling down where the rounds will drop in freely.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:49 AM   #13
1911Tuner

Quote:
I know that it just doesn't take much at all to really stop one, and it isn't a simple tap-rack-bang to get running again.
Years ago, I had a nickel 6-inch Model 57 that would bind up after less than 12 rounds of ammunition loaded with 2400 unless it was a full on top-end charge...and then it would do it within 30 rounds...from just a few unburned powder grains. Oddly, 2400 was the only powder that it would do this trick with. Because it was wicked accurate with cast bullets and 2400, I used a lot of it, but I always included a mil-spec double-end toothbrush in the old kit bag, and just cleaned under the star after every cylinder full.
Old June 1, 2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Sevens

I love 2400 and I'm very comfortable using it and likely won't ever be without a few pounds of it at the ready. With that said, it's definitely a part of the package that 2400 often leaves unburnt granules and it quite noticeable and often generates questions in the handloading forums about folks new to that particular powder.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:51 AM   #15
1911Tuner

Oh, yeah. 2400 is the only slow "magnum class" pistol powder that I use. My other go-to powder is Unique. Recently, I've been using a little Bullseye after a 20-year hiatus.

None of my other revolvers has ever given me a problem with 2400, but it does tend to leave a lot of those little discolored granules unless loaded up hot.