The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

Chronograph. Necessity or Luxury?

I haven't even started reloading yet. Still waiting on primers and powder! Everything else is here or "on the way."

However, I'm wondering about a chronograph to test my loads. Can I just shoot and track accuracy and "feel" to determine which loads I like or dislike. Do most reloaders have a chrono? Seems like it is critical to track bullet velocity. It slso seems to me that you need a tripod to set the chrono out about 10 feet or more from the pistol muzzle. I have read the one thread on here (Christmas chrono) and there is no concensus. I do not expect one but am just interested in a few more thoughts. (How do you get a thread # or link to a thread ?)

If the indoor range has fluorescent lights there's a problem with their on/off frequency being twice that of incandescent lights. I don't understand this since AC is the same 60 Hz for both bulbs. Maybe the ballast does something. Not our problem; just simply something we need to know so we don't use chronos with fluorescent lights. I think that's the case for the range I will use but haven't been enough to remember. That means taking incandescent lights to put over the wires so they can see the bullet as it passes without the errors that fluorescent lights cause. The chrono folks have fancy ones but some posters have said to hang a 60 watt bulb between and just above the two wires. Just more stuff to have to buy. I would assume the range deals with this every day and I need to call and find out how they solve these issues.

NRA Benefactor
Old February 24, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
reynolds357

I dont use mine very often. Its useful for the final phases of load development.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Dan Newberry

folks reloaded for a lot of years without a chronograph, but many handloaders would not work without one... so it's a matter of preference and technique.

If you use my OCW load development system (google "dan" and "ocw"), you can get great results without a chronograph.

I see a lot of what appears to be bogus data from chronographs... especially the cheap ones, so my mantra says to let the target be the final arbiter.

I rarely use a chronograph these days... I work up the load using the OCW system, and based on published data I get a "ball park" idea of velocity... I then plot a trajectory of that load out to the farthest distance it'll be used at, and tweak the velocity in the program to make the trajectory chart true... and call it good.

Lots of ways to skin this cat though... so I'm sure you'll hear of other techniques which work equally as well for those who will share them.

Dan
Old February 24, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
jmorris

I loaded for decades without one. Kind of the same way none of my race cars ever had a speedometer. only once I played in gun games that require certain power floors did I ever buy chronographs.

I'll admit to using them now for other applications and they save time mapping out a load but I still wouldn't say you have to have one.

In some cases I would think they may even be dangerous. Like the guy that says "the book says they are getting 2800fps, so I'll just keep adding powder until I get there", and he would have been perfectly happy and safe with the load before he could put a number on it.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #5
ZOOM2X

Thanks, everyone.

Jmorris: what did you race? Still do it?

Dan Newberry: I'm impressed. I'll spend some time on your site.
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...pes/4533485759

NRA Benefactor
Old February 25, 2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice.

What would answer the question for YOU as opposed to anyone else depends on why you shoot and why your reload and what chamberings you load? Help us out here, please.

I loaded for decades without one. But then, they were WAY more expensive then. I estimated my velocity by how much leading I got and other nebulous clues. Now I use one to keep track of performance, but would not feel particularly deprived without one. A little deprived, but not so much that I would give up shooting and reloading. However, I have some recoil-measuring experiments I would like to do for which one is essential

Incandescent bulbs do not have a 60hz on/off in their light output. While the electricity goes on/off, the wire stays glowing-hot enough that the wavering of brightness is negligible. Flourescent bulbs, however work differently than incandescents and do have a flicker that confuses the sensors because the sensors are trying to detect the shadow of the bullet. The flicker is important not because of its frequency, but because it may introduce a false, artificial "shadow" detection.

Most Chronograph makers have an optional pair of incandescent lights for installation over each sensor. There is a new chronograph on the market that uses electromagnetic effect to detect the passage of the bullet, but I have not heard reports from the field about its convenience and accuracy.
http://www.magnetospeed.com/

At $100 for a Chrony. Under $200 for most others, it is a good investment in increasing your enjoyment of and the quality of your shooting, but only if you put the effort into its use. You will get out of it what you put into it.

Lost Sheep
Old February 25, 2013, 05:23 AM   #7
chris in va

I've reloaded for three years without one. Got one as a Christmas present and finally got around to testing a few different reloads I've come to use as standard loads.

Frankly I was shocked to discover how far off my FPS was from published velocities. It also revealed deviations well over 100fps on some of my 9mm plinkers. The only consistent and accurate loads I had were the 30-06 for my Garand, mainly because I weighed every single charge with my scale.

Absolute necessity? Not really. But it sure helps with load development.

I've only seen one other person use a chronograph at my range in four years. Lots of reloaders though.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8
bossman

Luxury. I did end up getting one just to see where my loads rated with the loading manuals. Most were close to the manual's but did have a few Holy Cow that's way more than expected. Most of the HC's were with hi-pressure rounds. I tend to load more low pressure rounds, 38 spl 45 acp and 45 Colt and found I was close to being where I wanted to be. They're nice when moving up in the 45 colt loads.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
eviltravis

Necessity.

I've never had a load clock at what the book said it would. Some were not even close. There is no way to gather accurate information on your load without a chronograph. You can get an adequate chronograph for under 100 dollars, which is cheaper than what three or four boxes of bullets cost at today's prices. There's really just no reason not to get one.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Adamantium

If you shoot at competitions where a certain amount of velocity is required and checked then you either need one or have one available to borrow. If you shoot at distances where bullet drop becomes something that needs to be compensated for you are going to want to know exact velocity as well.

Some people want to know every detail, some only look into things when there is a problem. Many people need them like they "need" a tumbler, calipers or cartridge gauges, in that they are nice but others go without and are just fine.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11
oldpapps

I bought my Chrony just before I retired, 9 maybe 10 years ago. So for 40 sum years I loaded with out one.

I don't think it is useful for 50 to 75 percent of loaders.
For pistol loads, I think mine is only an oddity to play with.
The only actual functional effect that I've seen was with a loading that I was loading (308/7.62) proved to have less velocity (reported by Chrony) than I expected. Yet reduction of the powder charge (2 1/2 grains as I remember), only reduced the displayed velocity by an average of 40-50 FPS. Not a great savings in one round, but in 500 rounds, that is significant. Didn't make the load any better or worse, just used less powder.

For the most part, I use mine to re-enforce my views and thoughts. Is the expense and effort worth this? I think so.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old February 25, 2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

I only used my vintage one ( inherited from my FIL ) for 2 years before I shot it

I think it's nice to have, because I reload alot of "out of the box loads" but still I loaded for 12 years without one...

I think a luxury if you are doing standard loads, & a necessity if you are loading wildcats or out of the box cartridges or loads...
Old February 25, 2013, 12:50 PM   #13
GeauxTide

I'll call it luxury

I've used one since the 80s because I had two wildcats made with long throats. I'll break it out when I get a new cartridge for load test/development.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:59 PM   #14
mehavey

In reloading, it's useful.
In handloading, irreplaceable.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Ruger45LC

A must have in my book.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
number 9

I've gathered a lot of info with mine, however I haven't shot at an indoor range this decade.

A crono will give you specific info on your specific weapon and it is especially helpful when you load for a gas gun and a bolt gun in the same cal.

If I shot handgun only I would personally not bother but that is just me as I am not shooting competition and have confidence in my loads as I have the data on them to reference. However with the scarcity of components and having to substitute unproven components I would use it to work my loads up again.

Using reliable load data as available from powder companies or from bullet manufacturers as long as you don't deviate from their rx's got me by safely for years however loading for a center fire rifle I cannot imagine having to go long without a crono and a ballistic program for predicting behavior. But again that's just me.

Hope this helps,
Leonard
Old February 25, 2013, 11:50 PM   #17
ZOOM2X

Thanks to you all. I'll probably get one. Might as well. I'm stockpiling handguns, rifles and all this reloading stuff for my grandsons, ages 4 & 6. I'm 70 but feel 40 and plan to be here for 30 more.

NRA Benefactor
Old February 26, 2013, 10:30 AM   #18
elkslayer4x5

Heres an easy solution for the lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uMW8h-UPuww
Old February 27, 2013, 06:47 AM   #19
ZOOM2X

slick as a wet minnow!!

Thanks, Elkslayer. Perfect solution.

I ordered the Shooting Chrony Gamma w/ printer from MidwayUSA

found the lights and magnets @ Home Depot

NRA Benefactor
Old February 27, 2013, 06:15 PM   #20
cryogenic419

I got mine as more of a "it would be cool just to see what my ammo is doing speedwise" kind of deal. I shot everything I could get my hands on to see if it kept up with published numbers from both ammo makers and reloading manuals. It was interesting to see but didn't really change much. What was really interesting to see is what kind of effect temperature had on some of my loads. There are definately some loads that work better on hot days than freezing cold days. I'd say its a luxury as none of this really amounts to anything, I just looked at it as playing around

When it comes to long range shooting it is definately a necessity. You need to have a fairly accurate idea of velocity to calculate bullet drop. This would apply to factory and handloads. Whatever number the factory may say on the box may not translate well to what your gun is actually doing.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
rclark

I never used one for many years, but in the last few years, I enjoy trying different loads, different primers, different bullets.... Chronograph tells the tale. Interesting to know the velocity out of your guns and how consistent the load is. Been fun and educational. Never 'knew' that information before. Now I 'know'. Usually loads have been way different from the manuals as they use barrels of different lengths and some are 'sealed' not like out of a revolver that has a gap to jump. I can now work up loads to 'around' the velocity I want to shoot looking for accuracy and consistency along the way. I would consider a chronograph a 'must have' now that I have one. A nice 'comfort/piece of mind' piece of equipment.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #22
BuckRub

I don't have one and been reloading for 20 years. I have two rifles that both shoot a ragged hole. Some say you can shoot less in developing phase, well I like to shoot Period. And when you shoot a ragged hole it doesn't matter if the bullets are going 3000 feet or 3500 feet.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:15 PM   #23
Fullthrottle

A chronograph does nothing to change your reloads and what they do. It does however give you info about your reloads(obvously)! More of a luxury for most folks...myself included as of now! Would I like one....yes, do I need one.....no! I have reloaded without one for years. If working a wildcat or other wise pushing the max...probably a very good tool!
Old February 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Chinny33

100% Necesity!

you are completely loading BLIND when it comes to NOT having a chronograph.

I have NEVER matched the FPS for ANY given load ANYWHERE.

25.5 gr of TAC out of a 5.56, 16"BBL goes 3,100FPS according to the manual. Im clocking in at 2,900. A 200fps difference is major shooting @ 400yds.

3.9gr of VV N-320 out of a 9mm Luger, 4"BBL, goes 1017FPS. Im clocking in at 1,200fps.
Proverbs 27:12
Old February 27, 2013, 11:36 PM   #25
ZOOM2X

I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

The chrono is a small luxury that I think I will enjoy enough to get my money's worth. As I stated, I am just getting started. I've a lot to learn but I want to learn so I can properly teach my grandsons and have fun with reloading and shooting.

I bought the 2 Sylvania LED lights and some magnets at Lowe's today and the chrono was ordered yesterday @ Midway.

I shop Lowe's instead of Home Depot since HD is no longer contributing to Boy Scouts since we (I am active in local BSA council.) "discriminate" and will not let homosexuals be scout leaders. Duh! I intend to so notify HD.

NRA Benefactor