The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
azredhawk44

How to dehorn an XSE slide?

My XSE Commander's slide is quite sharp. It has taken quite a few pieces of plastic out of my holsters.

I was thinking of getting a fine file at the hardware store and gently rounding the corners of the slide serrations. Am I going about this the wrong way? What's the right way, if that's wrong?
Old January 11, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2
hockeysew

When I de-horn a pistol I will take a needle file and just kiss the corners at 45 degrees. I dont want to change any angle or round anything off. Just break the sharp corner. I will usually follow up with the appropriate grit of wet or dry paper (depending on the desired finish) backed with the file.
The serrations are a PITA if you want to do them right. Lots of individual angles to deal with and time consuming. I dont trust my eyes on a de-horn job but rather go by feel. I run my hand over the pistol every which way and if it catches on something I address it at that time.
A quality de-horn job is very subtle.