The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 25, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Ace12

Barnes MRX

Has anyone ever tried the Barnes MRX? Its a Triple X with a polymer tip and a Tungsten core instead of lead. I would like to try them, but I wanted some feedback on them first.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/mrx-bullet/
Old December 26, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

I'm sure they are a very good bullet, but not for the price. There are a lot of bullets out there that will harvest game just as well for a lot less than $1.56 per round.

If all you are going to use the rifle for is a couple of rounds per season, they would be OK, but I shoot between 50 and 100 rounds every week through most of my rifles, when weather permits, so I could not afford them.
Old December 26, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Scorch

I agree with WBB. Barnes makes very good bullets, but for $1.50 per bullet they are too expensive, I can buy Nosler Partitions for $.50 per bullet. Unless you are restricted to using non-lead bullets, I would choose another bullet.
Old December 26, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
taylorce1

+3 on price.

I got into handloading to avoid having to pay high ammuntion prices, these bullets just don't alow me to save money. You only get 20 bullets for $36-40 I can buy "Premium Ammunition" for that price for 20 rounds. Why waste my time handloading if I'm going to pay that much for bullets.

Scorch hit the nail on the head, Partitions still give the best bang for the buck out of all the premium hunting bullets IMO. I'd choose the new E-Tip from Nosler or the TSX and T-TSX from Barnes before going with teh MRX even if you hunt in a lead free area. To tell you the truth I've yet to see a cheap old Sierra, Speer, or Hornady cup and core bullet fail to do the job.