The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Starter

Starter Kit

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to reloading. I have a Glock 26 with which I do plinking, target shooting. I just ordered a Lee Classic Turret Press, but I don't know anything about powders, primers or bullets.
Just to get me started, would you please suggest a good powder, primers and 9 mm bullets. And if not inappropriate for the forum, I would greatly appreciate suggestions on suppliers.
Thanks very much for the help. This forum is a God-send.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
sidewindr

The very first thing to purchase is at least 2 reloading manuals, ABC's of Reloading, Lyman Casting and Reloading 49th edition , Hornady's #8,ect..., also bookmark some of the powder mfg website for loading info using their powders.

For the 9mm
Power Pistol or HP-38 for powders
Nosler JHP or Hornady XTP in 125gr for Jacketed bullets
Berry's or Rainier 124/125 FP or HP for plated Bullets(a bit cheaper than jacketed). There is Montana Gold or Extreme bullets also as a comparison to Berry's and Rainiers but they require a 3000ish bullet order, for starting out I feel it's better to stay with smaller amounts so you can try a few different types/weight before jumping in on a big box.
CCI small pistol primers

That should get you started, there is hundreds of choices in all components so there isn't really any "basics"

Last edited by sidewindr; October 8, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
the led farmer

Since you bought the Lee press (a fine choice) I recommend Modern Reloading 2nd Ed by Richard Lee. After you get this and read pick a powder/ bullet combination listed in the manual, or whatever manual you get.

Don't buy components bullets/powder until you have read more about the role each plays in accomplishing what your goal for your reloads is. Plinking, accuracy, stopping power etc.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

A manual has been stated so I will just concur the suggestion for the Lyman manual. If it is just for pistol loads I would suggest the Lyman Pistol and Revolver 3rd. Great info in the first part, and heavily geared for hand gun loading.

If you do not have on get a dial caliper. For 9mm I would not load it without one. Seating too deep in a high pressure low volume case is very bad.

Ok now for the fun stuff kinda.

For bullets to plink with Berry's work well, and can be found easily. I buy mine off the shelf at Cabella's. They have always worked for what I use them for. I load for a G26.

Cases are range pick up
Bullets are Berry's 124 HP
Powder I use TiteGroup or Bull's Eye. Though I on use the latter when I am out of the first while waiting for funds to buy the other. There are quite a few others that work as well. Pick one, most can be used for other calibers if you decide to load for those as well.
Primers pick one, and work up loads. If you change primers rework the load back up to be safe.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
chris in va

I highly recommend you find someone to show you the ropes on reloading so you don't mess up your first couple hundred. Maybe your local gun store can help you out if someone on here isn't close enough.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
tkglazie

If money is tight or you just want to get it ASAP, the ABCs is available on the Amazon Lending Library for free for Prime members. You dont even have to own a Kindle, you can download an app.

I read that manual cover to cover (except for the load data) as well as the Lee and Lyman manuals also mentioned above. Invaluable info, really. No other piece of advice you will get is more important than the suggestion tha you should absorb the contents of a good reloading manual. I am a pretty handy guy (mechanical engineer with fabricating experience) and I would not want to start over again without learning what I learned from reading several good manuals.

Another powder that you might like in addition to those listed above is Vihtavuori N320. More expensive for sure, but very clean and accurate with a nice smooth recoil. ZIP is a good powder as well. I do not stock it but have used it in both Glocks and M&Ps and really like the way it performs.

For primers, Federal is all I have ever used. I am prone to messing with hammer springs on some of my guns and prefer to use the one primer that has the best chance to go bang in any gun. Certainly you cant go wrong with any of the majors brands, just be aware that the performance of any load will vary depending on the primer type and you should be prepared to adjust accordingly if you are trying various brands.

Good luck, happy loading and BE SAFE!
Old October 8, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7
hk33ka1

I would Recommend Lee's Modern Reloading manual 2nd ed. and or Lyman 49th manual.

Winchester 231 powder and small pistol primers from any brand. 115gr or 124gr round nose bullets either plated, jacketed or lead. There will be common data for loading with these components for 9mm Luger.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Starter

Starter kit help

Thank you very much for the responses. When I previously searched the forum for information, I have to admit I found myself becoming more confused (my fault, not the forum's), but your responses have pointed me in the right direction.
I will take your suggestions and read at least one manual before selecting from the components you have mentioned.
I feel I'm finally on my way, thanks to you all!
Old October 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

For what it's worth, the press you ordered is a good one. You very likely got the best choice you could have made.

A turret press can be used as a single stage until you learn the ropes loading in batches and then you can switch over to continuous mode (which the Classic Turret is ideally suited for) for its greater speed (if you want)

Progressives are faster, but more complex and more expensive. Not suited to every loader's temperament. If you don't need in excess of 200 rounds per hour, a single stage (around 50 rounds per hour) or turret (up to 150, maybe 200 rounds per hour) will do you fine.

The ABC's of Reloading will tell you the steps involved in loading. All loading manuals have, in their early chapters, descriptions of the process. Each has a different writing style and areas of emphasis, so reading several is worthwhile.

Here are some threads to read until you get your manual(s)

Go get a large mug of whatever you sip when you read and think and visit these sites.

For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

I am looking at getting into reloading for the first time
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=658971

Just bought my first press. Needs some info tho.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=659358

Considering reloading
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488115

Budget Beginning Bench you will never outgrow, for the novice handloader.
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

Thoughts on The Lee Classic Turret Press
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135951

Interested in reloading
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Newby needs help.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391

I hope you enjoy the reading. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old October 10, 2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Starter

Thanks for additional info

Thanks, Lost Sheep, for the additional links and the "voice of experience," both of which I definitely need. Perhaps someday I will be able to give back to the forum.
Thanks again.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #11
CrustyFN

First of all welcome to the forum and welcome to reloading. The Lee classic turret is a great press to learn on. I started on the same press six years ago and still use it. I agree with others, any brand small primer, Winchester 231, Bullseye, Titegroup and HS-6 should all be easy to find load data for. I prefer 124 grain bullets in 9mm. One little safety tip is to look in every case after the powder charge before you set the bullet on to be seated. You aren't look for a .2 grain difference, just looking to make sure the measure dropped powder to avoid a squib.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
9mm Glock
powders, primers or bullets.
Just to get me started, would you please suggest a good powder, primers and 9 mm bullets.
Powder: Alliant Bullseye. That's basically the only handgun powder I use, for everything for .380, .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45ACP.

Primers: whatever's cheap. Lee's documentation may warn against Federal primers.

Bullets: for what purpose? Basic range or plinking ammo? I use hand cast 120gr lead truncated cone bullets. (But, mind the caveat about lead bullets and Glocks...)

I concur with the above suggestions, to get a caliper and Lyman's manual.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #13
tkglazie

Quote:
Lee's documentation may warn against Federal primers.
Lee does not warn against Fed primers any longer. That was a holdover from older designs. In the new documentation they specifically mention the reason they used to warn against Fed primers and detail the improvements they made that make Fed primers safe to use as any other primer.

The Lee Safety Prime system is approved for use with Fed primers and works great.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Daggitt

Read the ABC's of reloading. I feel strongly you should buy the book so you have it on the bench to refer to. Having it electronically is not practical at the reloading bench. Read it twice before you do anything. You will use it in the future. It is well worth $40 or whatever it costs you. Remember always , you are reading the rules to manufacture an explosive which you will be detonating in your own face. It is an extremely enjoyable hobby. But you CAN NOT screw up! Proceed slowly and with extreme care. Always use starting loads and work your way up to maximum loads. Watch closely for signs of excessive pressure The margin of error may be zero. Do not use load recipes off the internet etc. Use only loads published by the powder manufacturer or an equally reliable source. Good luck and welcome to the world of reloading.