The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Beretta686

Saiga-12 Help

I have a Saiga-12 that I just got back from the 'smith the other day. I took it out skeet shooting & for the first 50 rounds it ran like a champ but after that the receiver cover kept popping off causing the weapon the jam.

Anyone have any advice on this?

I cut the barrel down to 12-inches w/ a "shark" type break & I've Dura-Coated it but I don't believe that it would effect the receiver cover popping off. Aside from those things & some cool-guy furniture that I've switched out, I've done no other modifications to it.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 14, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Technosavant

Never heard of that kind of trouble with one. I'd check the channels in the front and rear trunnion and make sure they're in good shape.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
reloaderNOOB

well, it's an ak, right....? this happened with my romanian ak once, and it was my fault... I hadn't checked to make sure that the little button on the back of the receiver cover had secured the receiver cover, and it threw my cover like 30+ feet up in the air LOL no cuts or scrapes or anything, but *whew*

so make sure the button is not releasing the receiver cover! hope that helps
Old November 15, 2009, 04:55 PM   #4
reloaderNOOB

do you know any of the laws a guy without a FFL of any kind would want to know if he happened to own a saiga 12 gauge and wanted to trick it out to the legal limit?
Old November 15, 2009, 05:00 PM   #5
reloaderNOOB

techno speaks the truth
Old November 15, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Technosavant

Section 922r, United States Code (imported parts count), as well as the 1934 National Firearms Act (select fire, barrel length, overall length).

It's treated no differently from any other imported shotgun.
Old November 15, 2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Beretta686

But if you register it as an SBS your exempt from 922r and the restrictions on imported parts (hence why if you build an SBR MP5 out of a full German parts kit).

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 15, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
reloaderNOOB

yes, but the imported parts count, I have understood this applies to rifles assembled in the us from imported parts... or do factory rifles count also?
Old November 15, 2009, 09:12 PM   #9
reloaderNOOB

how do i register it as a SBS (short barreled shotgun?)?

and this all doesnt make sense to me, the barrel is 22"... i still just don't get it i guess
Old November 15, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
reloaderNOOB

so i can have a 12-rd mag but no pistol grip or collapsible/folding stock?

or one of the three, basically?
Old November 15, 2009, 09:18 PM   #11
reloaderNOOB

without registering, i mean in the above message
Old November 15, 2009, 09:25 PM   #12
reloaderNOOB

unless i make my own or find my own american replacement parts to make it 922r compliant?
Old November 16, 2009, 07:24 AM   #13
lmccrock

Probably good info will be found at the Saiga Forum.

Lee
Old November 16, 2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Technosavant

The Saiga forum is the best place for info on these things.

But in short, 922r relates to pretty much any long guns that would be deemed "non sporting." IIRC, on the Saiga 12, there's 4 or 5 parts that require changing in order to clear that hurdle. Any conversion will get you most of the way there, since the 3 pieces of the fire control group will be US made (the Tapco G2 model, usually you're best off buying the Tromix modified one). Toss in US made stock and pistol grip, and there's your five. Others have replaced the gas puck, which is easy enough to do anyway.

As for the magazines, the only imported ones I've yet seen are the 5 round Russian ones from Izmash. There's plenty of US made 8 and 10 round mags (Surefire makes them and they work rather well from what I've read).

As for the NFA rules, if you want the barrel cut below 18 inches, you go through the same hoops any SBS would require- fingerprinting, the appropriate ATF form, CLEO sign-off, and the $200 tax stamp (not to mention the waiting).

All this information is discussed in more detail elsewhere (like at the Saiga forum), so if you want more than this, I'd strongly recommend looking there for Saiga specific information. The guys over there have done pretty much anything and everything to theirs, so they can guide you to whatever you might want to do.
Old November 16, 2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Beretta686

Quote:
yes, but the imported parts count, I have understood this applies to rifles assembled in the us from imported parts... or do factory rifles count also?
922r only counts for Title II (i.e.-non NFA guns). So in other words you can't import an evil black rifle out of parts that are exclusively foreign (i.e. a German-made HK94 parts kit can't be assembled into an HK94, unless you add a certain number of American parts).

BUT, since NFA items are exempt from 922r, you can take a German-mad MP5 parts kit and build an SBR MP5, or take a Saiga 12, register it as an SBS & add put all evil features you want & not have to worry if their American made or not.

However, you can't import NFA items for sale to the general public (HK can't make a semi-auto SBR and import it into America, nor could Saiga make a SBS and import it into America, unless it's for LE or a dealer).

So basically as long as the weapon is imported into the states as a "normal" non-NFA gun & you register it as an NFA item after it's here, you can do whatever you want on it (as long as you don't make it full-auto or anything)

Old November 18, 2009, 05:17 PM   #16
reloaderNOOB

full auto on a saiga 12? that sounds... painful
Old November 18, 2009, 05:37 PM   #17
Technosavant

I'm not sure that a FA S12 would be all that bad if the gun were set up properly. One with a good recoil pad (like the Tromix stock with the Limbsaver pad) doesn't hurt at all. It could potentially be difficult to control, but short of the MD-20 drums, they just don't have much ammo capacity.

But then, I don't know if a transferable FA S12 even exists here in the US.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:40 AM   #18
Beretta686

Quote:
But then, I don't know if a transferable FA S12 even exists here in the US.
Unless you can modify a registered AK receiver to make it work, or if some has a DIAS for an AK (I don't even know if that exists) your SOL on an FA Saiga.

Old November 19, 2009, 11:13 AM   #19
Technosavant

That's what I thought. I don't think a RDIAS exists for the AK (not sure how it would work), and while it might be technically possible to convert a regular registered AK, the time and trouble (given the high value of the transferable AK as it is) just wouldn't be worth it.