The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
drvector

Used Dillon 550B progessive press

Greetings All,

…Got a question, hoping some might be able to help out. I ran into a fellow at the range last week that has gotten tired of reloading. He hasn’t used his Dillon 550B progressive press for a couple of years, and he is thinking of selling it. He and I haggled around a bit, but he isn’t sure what he wants for it yet. Apparently, he’s had about 200,000 rounds though it over its lifetime, and recently had it re-built by Dillon (life time guarantee). Does any one have any idea what a reasonable offer might be on one of these presses? I realize that it’s kind of difficult to do so sight unseen. A brand new Dillon 550b press goes for $369.99. I did a bit of nosing around on eBay and other reloading sites but found little or no variation in the price of a new press. I gave Dillon a call and spoke to a tech that suggested a price of around $200 to 250 would probably be reasonable. What do you folks think?
Old August 13, 2006, 09:42 PM   #2
crackerjack

used dillon

Dillon's hold there value very well and if it was rebuilt recently it is near new. Their warranty is solid and no BS so there again it holds it value. A good price would be what is considered a "good" price between the two parties . Keep in mind if your friend recently had it rebuilt he spent some $$ on freight as they are heavy to ship.Hopefully an investment into a Dillon press will continue to hold its value as it has in the past. I have two 550s and feel I will recover 75-85% of my investment if I were to sell. Hope it helps.
Old August 13, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Sounds pretty decent to me.

If someone I knew, even fairly well, offered me a 550B which had been reconditioned at the Dillon plant, for $200, I'd take it pretty quickly.

What about accesories, spares, and so forth. The deal would be even better if your pal has any dies, extra toolheads, powder measures, or the like. this could run the price up rapidly, but it would probably be well worth it.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 14, 2006, 04:48 AM   #4
Bud Helms

Factory reconditioned, with whatever accys he threw in... up to $300 could still be fair.
Old August 17, 2006, 12:55 AM   #5
hps1

I bought my second Dillon 450 used and found it to be missing a spring. Called Dillon and asked to purchase the spring, told them it was a used press and they sent new spring no charge.

That's what makes them hold their value, Dillon's no BS guarantee.

Regards,
hps