The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 2, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Rathemias

r700 range

Just as the title describes, im looking for the average range of a r700. I'm new to shooting and my girlfriends father is going to teach me how to shoot. I am a big military buff and am going to probably buy a r700 as my first rifle with a r15 or r25 to follow. Could anyone please give me the normal range of an r700 and which one would be the best weapon of choice for me?
Old November 2, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
zoomie

Waaaayyy too vague of a question.

You can get a 700 in 223, or you can get a 700 in 300 Win Mag. And you can shoot it at 100 yards or 1200 yards. "r700" is a very broad descriptor.

If you're learning to shoot, get a basic 700 SPS in 223 and a name brand scope with a max power around 10.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/97351
Old November 3, 2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Rathemias

Ive been doing a little shopping and yes i am VERY new to hunting/shooting. I want a good, reliable rifle that will last me a very long time and has great firing capabilities. Plus, im looking for something that has a long range on it, to be honest. I'm a huge history buff but seeings as im a civilian, im probably never going to be able to hold some of my favorite weapons in my hands, therefore, the closest rifle that i can get to military grade is an r700. Below are 2 that i saw that i thought id ask you to see if these would be good for a beginning shooter. And so i can be more specific, what is the normal range of a .223 r700 vs a .308 r700. Most of the terminology that i have been hearing is a lil confusing. I apologize for any lack of knowledge on my behalf and for my ignorance upon this subject. If you could help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

http://remington.com/products/firear...al-aac-sd.aspx

http://remington.com/products/firear...ero-sf-ii.aspx
Old November 3, 2010, 07:54 AM   #4
zoomie

The 700 AAC-SD is a cool idea, but it's really not a different rifle. They just threaded the muzzle for a suppressor. A suppressor is not included, costs more than the rifle, and requires a $200 tax stamp from the ATF.

The Sendero is not a beginner rifle. While it's a nice rifle and great for long range beginners, IMO, it's not chambered in appropriate cartridges for you and costs way more than you need to spend for a first rifle.

Shooters shoot the 223 and the 308 out to 1000 yards in competition. The 308 is better suited for the task, but many factors other than caliber are more important in long range shooting. With the right ammo, the 223 can teach you to shoot accurately, even at longer ranges, and will not break your shoulder or budget doing it.

If you want to spend more, the 700P and the 5R are good buys for you with the right specs to get you started and grow with you as you improve.

Last edited by zoomie; November 3, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old November 3, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Rathemias

You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you so much for helping me. It's a nice change having people who are willing to help me with problems such as this. Thank you again.

-Rath
Old November 3, 2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Rathemias

I also saw the new R-15 and R-25, now, what would those 2 rifles mainly be used for?
Old November 3, 2010, 09:26 PM   #7
zoomie

Shootin stuff. Just like any other rifle.

The R-15 is just another AR-15. The 30RAR is a new cartridge offered in the R-15, and I think an answer to an unasked question. The R-25 is an AR-10-pattern rifle for longer cartridges.

IMHO, get a bolt gun first.
Old November 4, 2010, 03:22 AM   #8
natman

If you are just starting out, get a good bolt action 22. You won't be able to hit at long range until you can hit at short range and that takes a lot of practice. You can shoot a 22 all day for a few dollars, FAR cheaper than even the cheapest centerfire ammo. You can learn the essentials of breath control, trigger control, sight picture, proper holds, etc, etc without breaking the bank.

THEN you can start thinking about a centerfire rifle.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/
Old November 4, 2010, 12:24 PM   #9
bassfishindoc

I agree with natman. The best way to learn to shoot is with a 22LR, or a pellet gun. Shooting sports are just like any other sports. You are not going to be a star NFL football player because you have the best shoes, pads, helmet, and football. Same with shooting. You may purchase the best rifle capable of shooting off a fly's wing at 1000 yards, but if you have never shot before you will not be able to hit a 10 foot target at that distance. Also, be aware that if you have little to no shooting experience you can actually harm your technique by starting out with a caliber that is too powerful. The recoil will cause you to develop a flinch and you will not be able to focus on sight picture, breathing control, trigger squeeze, etc. Once learned, it is hard to unlearn flinching while shooting. If you learn on a low recoil caliber you can work on the fundamentals and learn to shoot without flinching. Plus, to get really good and be able to actually hit something at 1000 yards you will need to practice with thousands of rounds, something that is cost prohibitive with any caliber other than 22LR for most people.

If you are dead-set on a Remington 700, may I recommend the SPS Varmint in 223. 223 is a military round that is capable of shooting long distances. The recoil on the 223 is quite low and the 223 is one of the most affordable centerfire rounds. Plus the rifle has the black tactical look you seem to be looking for as well as the varmint bull barrel which is the same that a lot of the tactical rifles use (not quite the same grade but the same style). It can also be purchased for under $400 at wally world. Pair it with a good scope (say...Leupold) and you will be set. Plus, its a 700 so it has a virtually unlimited supply of upgrades as your skills improve (stock, trigger, barrel, etc.) Good luck and welcome to the sport.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 5, 2010, 05:11 AM   #10
Rathemias

Seriously, thank you all for all of your help and support. The reason why i want the 700, is because i have read up on how great of a rifle it is, plus, my instructor that i will be having, is my girlfriends dad. He is an ex-scout sniper for the army. A reason why i want to get black model of this weapon, is mainly due to if we go hunting, i want to be able to customize its look any time i want, whether we are in the snow, sandy areas, or woodland, with a black r700, i could adjust its style into any form of camo without breaking my wallet. I totally understand where you're coming from with learning on a 22. I have never shot a gun and it will probably be very nerve wracking the first time i do, but at the same time, i am a MAJOR history buff and learned a lot about snipers. (I was a history major for a time and military history was my focal point). I first heard of the r700 there and ever since have wanted to try one, and since my girlfriend gave me her blessing and her dad said he'd teach me, i figured "what the hell, why not?"
Old November 5, 2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Rathemias

Oh, also, i've been hearing that the R700 isnt the best way to go, i've been hearing it would be safer to go with a savage 700 model. Idk what you guys think but any help before i go out and buy my rifle would be of great help. Thanks again guys, you really have no idea how much this means to me.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:29 AM   #12
bassfishindoc

If you are referring to the "trigger issues" that have been reported on a certain news station let me say this. Hundreds of thousands of r700's have been produced over the years, the military has used them for decades and is still ordering more, I personally have never had a malfunction with a r700 nor have many people here on TFL (there are whole threads dedicated to this topic). While there very well may have been a rifle here or there that have had true trigger malfunctions (that tends to happen when you have hundreds of thousands of a product out there, there is bound to be a lemon or two, just look at the auto industry) a broad number of the "malfunctions" were due to unqualified trigger jobs. Plus, all of the tragedy's that have happened with the r700, or any other firearm for that matter, whether due to manufacture error or bad gunsmithing CAN BE AVOIDED BY PRACTICING SAFE FIREARMS HANDLING. Plus, Remmy has now come out with a new trigger, the X-mark pro, so any issues that may have been there are gone.
Now to comment on the Savage, it is a fantastic rifle as well. Very accurate out of the box and very affordable. One thing I would recommend you do before making a purchase is to try out a few models and see how they feel to you. If your girlfriend's dad is going to train you I am sure he has a few rifles, probably a r700 that he will let you try. I personally have a r700, Savage 110, and Winchester Model 70 and they are all fantastic bolt rifles. You will find disciples of each particular brand but the most important thing is to find what you like, what feels good to you, what you shoot well, and what will make you happy. Good luck!
Old November 5, 2010, 08:32 AM   #13
bassfishindoc

Also, try out this website: http://www.remington700.tv/#/home
This is Remington's response to the false allegations about the 700. Granted it is from Remington's point of view but they are entitled to have their say as well, you will see that the 700 is perfectly safe and a fantastic piece of machinery.