The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 5, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
charles burhans

Ruger SP101 w/2.25" barrel & 357 mag

Hello Everyone,

I am new to THE FIRING LINE forum.

BACKGROUND
I am in the process of searching for a New Ruger SP101 double action revolver w/2.25" barrel that shoots .357 mag & 38 specials (e.g. model #5718).
While I have settled on the gun manufacturer & model I am in a quandary as to where I can find the best deal.
I live in Aiken, SC.
QUESTION
Where do you recommend I shop for this gun. Is there a Web Site gun dealer that has sharp pricing or do I buy from my local gun shop?

Thanks,
Chuck Burhans
Aiken, SC 29803
H: (803) 642-0401
E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by charles burhans; July 6, 2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: my message was not clear
Old July 5, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2
.38Catt

I recommend finding a good, reputable LOCAL dealer even if you pay a few bucks more. Build a good working relationship and it will payoff if there is an issue.

Just my $.02.

.38Catt
Old July 5, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

GunsAmerica.com .....

Id highly suggest checking www.GunsAmerica.com .
It's free & offers a lot of + services. I've used it often since 2004 & I've bought 3 firearms with the website.

You can check prices & compare features. You can also ask the FFL holders questions or review the weapons before you decide anything.
Old July 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
.38Catt

For what is worth, I saw one today in the Atlanta area for $529.00
.38Catt
Old July 6, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
9mm

Why you post email/phone name address?? If you can find one under $550 you doing good. I seen some $600++
Old July 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
redrick

Welcome, I would also check gunbroker.com.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #7
craZivn

Also armslist.com.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8
JAREDSHS

SHTF vs TEOTWAWKI you ask? SHTF, just some crap on the ceiling and walls, TEOTWAWKI end of the world as we know it. Orignally made by 9mm/®™©

I LIKE IT!!
Old July 10, 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
ScotchMan

I'd recommend removing your email address and phone number from your post. These pieces of information will eventually be harvested automatically by people you don't want to have them. Unwanted emails and phone calls will follow shortly thereafter.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 10, 2013, 09:17 AM   #10
DealHunter

I know Lawmen's (local LE Supply shop but they sell Rugers to non LE too) has them up here in NC (Raleigh and Charlotte) for around 450-480 new. They have a store in Columbia SC but it's about 50 miles from you; not sure if that's "too far" or not...

http://www.lawmens.com in case you're interested.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Waspinator

Just for comparision from this part of the country.

I was in a local store a couple of weeks ago, here in CT, and they had that model 2.25"/.357 Mag SP101 and the DAO model for $549 each. (A gun I have been considering, thats why I know what they were asking).

I did a search online and found some cheaper ($450-$475 range)... But, after you factor in shipping cost and FFL dealer tranfer fees, the price was just about up to the local price. In that situation, I would spend a few more dollars and buy local. No headaches of shipping, transfers, waiting or worry about having to return through reversing the process (s/h + FFL) if there is a problem. The few extra dollars spent is WELL worth it in my opinion for the peace of mind buying locally.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Ferretboy

The Local Sporting Goods Store has them here for $509.00 of course they got them in right after I bought my S&W M36 3in. just kinda figures.
Old July 11, 2013, 07:16 AM   #13
ScotchMan

Don't forget that buying from local gun stores helps to ensure we will continue to have local gun stores.

Though they make more money off the non-gun items. I always try to buy some ammo or an accessory whenever I'm looking at guns.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 11, 2013, 08:34 AM   #14
ScaryWoody

Look up Palmetto State Armory. They have three locations across South Carolina.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:14 AM   #15
lagavulin62

It sounds like this is your first gun purchase. Correct me if I am wrong. So for a first time purchase my advice would be to stay away from the internet unless you go with Bud's. Just do a search and you will find their website. I say this because they have the best online reputation and you deal with them DIRECTLY. Going with Gunbroker or the almost always astronomical prices found on Guns America is ok once you get some experience buying online. Also too many variables with these two companies due to the fact that you would be buying from third parties. I would mention Davidson's as another very good possibility, however it's been years since I bought from them due to the fact they NEVER have anything in stock these days but the most boring of guns. But it never hurts to try them out either.

I like the fact that you know what you want. Make sure you have the SKU number of this particular gun so you are making a proper price comparison. Like others have said I would first try to find it locally. Either go in personally or call around and see what you get with prices.

One other very good option I have found in the past for new Rugers is the gun shows. As much of a waste of time gun shows have become, at least here in the Houston area I have found very good deals on new Ruger revolvers and if I was ever in the market for one this is the first place I would try after calling a few shops locally. If you have cash in hand you might be surprised at what you can save. Also you can hold the gun before making any commitments. And if anything goes wrong with the gun, no worries because you just send it in to the manufacturer.

That was a little winded but hope that helps.
Old July 12, 2013, 08:29 AM   #16
RUT

>>I recommend finding a good, reputable LOCAL dealer even if you pay a few bucks more.<<

Ditto that.........
Old July 12, 2013, 11:41 PM   #17
joneb

I prefer to not buy unseen firearms.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:08 AM   #18
Water-Man

Get some online prices before buying locally to make sure you're not getting taken to the cleaners.

It's all well and fine to want to give the LGS your business but not if there's a big difference in pricing.