The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Kayser

Review : Russian KSAP 7.62x39

Bought a bunch of this ultra cheap stuff from Wideners. KSAP is the name of either the company or the factory that churns these out. Thought I'd pull a couple and do a little forensics.

Summary : 123gr bullet, lead core FMJ, as advertised. Steel case, berdan primed (definitely not reloadable). Of the 2 I pulled, they measured 23.3 and 23.1 gr respectively. Powder is a stick of some kind. Based on what I'm seeing in the Hornady manual for that bullet/charge combo, maybe 4198 or equivalent? I calipered about 10, and OAL ranged from 2.180 to 2.195. This ammo won't be winning any awards for benchrest competition, but it should be perfectly fine for your average day at the range.

A couple notes of interest - they have some sort of imprecision in their assembly process because many rounds have small little dings at the case mouth, and many of those have a little bit of shaving on the bullet itself ( you can see this on the left side bullet in the 3rd image). Nothing concerning, and certainly nothing to complain about at $0.17 per round

Based on the headstamp, ammo looks like 2011 manufacture. Cases are clean and bullets are shiny. Pictures follow

Last edited by Kayser; February 23, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Zach W.

Did ya weigh the bullets or cases or check runout?
Old February 23, 2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Kayser

Just weighed the bullets and the powder. Bullets came in at 123.5 and 123.4.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
hornetguy

Do they go "bang"??