The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Ike666

S&W Model 586 Pedigree

I took an M586 in trade about fifteen years ago and it has been sitting in my safe for most of that time. I am enamored of the two 686s I have, but have never paid much attention to the 586.

I'm interested in its pedigree if anyone can help. It is a M586-2 with serial number AZB4XXX. Any information about date of manufacture and what changes were incorporated into the -2 would be appreciated.

Old December 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Webleymkv

I can't help you with the date of manufacture beyond sometime in 1987 or 1988 (the -2 variant was introduced in '87 and the -3 came out in '88). The -2 engineering change denotes a change of the hammer nose (firing pin for non-S&W people) and associated parts. I don't know exactly how the hammer nose was changed, but it must have been fairly minor since it was still hammer-mounted rather than frame-mounted as is the case with newly manufactured S&W's.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
jglsprings

Oh those old thangs???

Just junk guns - no need to keep it, takes up too much space in the safe I'm sure.

Be glad to take it off your hands. For what you paid all those years ago as well!

- Don't know the specifics about your gun - but I sure do love mine. That one is in great shape! Very nice!

Commas save lives...
Old December 1, 2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Ike666

It has an unbelievably smooth action. Its not as quite a silky as my 686s, but I've had them worked on. If this is an out-of-the-box action it is truly amazing. The trade was with the original owner and I know he didn't have the gun worked on and I certainly haven't.

Not sure why I've let it languish for so long. While I appreciate your kind and generous offer (what'd you have in mind - bout $350), I 'spect I'll hang on to it and start shooting it. To be honest it was S&W's reintroducing it that got me interested again.

I'm going to the range in the AM and I think I'll take it along.
Old December 1, 2012, 04:49 PM   #5
FlyFish

The AZB prefix would put the gun in the first half of 1988. As you probably know, the no-dash and -1 586s were recalled due to problems with metal from the primer cup in some loads potentially flowing back into the firing pin/bushing area and causing the cylinder to bind. The -2 incorporated the new firing pin and bushing design, so was not subject to the recall. SCSW doesn't mention any other changes between the -1 and -2.

On a side note, I've always had a soft spot for the 586 and currently have three of them, along with a couple 686s. Yours looks to be a real beauty.
Old December 1, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
jglsprings

$350.00 sounds about right!

Give us a range report when you get back.

Commas save lives...