The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 05:27 AM   #1
glock_country

HK Mark 23

Hi!

I´m from Austria, an beside Glock, I´m a huge fan of H&K.
Also I´m very interested in the US armed forces and their weapons.

Now I was offered a used HK MK23 in virgin condition for € 1.000,-- (about $ 1.300).
Is it true that this handgun is still in use at the US Special Forces?

I know, it´s not very reasonable to buy this pistol, because there are a lot of less expensive options in .45 ACP, but this gun looks like a beast, and has it´s own charme.

Greetings
Old February 10, 2013, 06:52 AM   #2
DasGuy

I'm sure it's still in the arsenal; but I doubt anyone uses them. The Navy SEALs hated it and the gun was designed specifically for them.

US Special Forces (AKA Green Berets) & Air Force SOF use the Beretta M9, SEALs use the SIG P226, Rangers Glock, Marine SOF 1911s. Those are what I can think of at the moment.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
PSP

A HK23 for $1300 is considered an absolute steal here in the U.S., where the gun would sell for a range of $1800 to $2100 normally.

Yes, the gun is still used and sees action in current theaters of war. Not sure where the "Seals hated it " rumor started. The gun is extremely robust, very, very accurate and quite light for all it offers. It is a handfull, with what I'd call a major grip circumference. Now, after almost 20 years of use, it has been replaced by the HK MK24, a more modern and smaller version, so to speak.

If I saw a MK23 for that price, I would leap at it.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Guten tag! I say get it. It is still used to this day to those who qualify and want to carry it in certain branches.

Hollywood Beach Police here in South Florida and other officers in Miami Dade County can also carry it if they qualify with it. My cousin carries her Mk23 and loves it.

That gun is an animal.

I just love my SIG P220
Old February 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
MLeake

The only guys I've seen actually carry the Mk23 were SWCC (Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen), IE special ops boat drivers.

I think the size and weight of the Mk23 make it less popular with people who are likely to have to cover a lot of ground on foot.

Of course, I only know what I have seen, on my own very limited basis.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
glock_country

Thank you all for your prompt and very informative replies.

I know this gun is very heavy and bulky, and for a civilian almost unnecessary to own, but I think the price is a really good offer for this weapon, and here in Austria it´s definitely not an "everyday gun".

I´ve always wondered if the MK23 is really in use at several units because of its size.

So thank you once again for your answers, and I hope that my english is not to bad!

Greetings
Old February 10, 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
9mm

Do you have conceal carry there?

Also, no MK is not in use that I know of.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:47 PM   #8
glock_country

Yes, I´m allowed to carry concealed, becaues I´m a police officer.

But in general it´s really hard to get a concealed carry permit in austria.
As CCW I carry a nice little piece, built in the USA, a Ruger LC9, and I like it very much.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Pilot

Another option for you would be the HK USP Tactical .45 which features a threaded "O" ring barrel, Match Trigger, and elevated, adjustable sights which can be used with a suppressor. It is a bit lighter and smaller than the MK 23, but is also used by the military.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:43 AM   #10
glock_country

@Pilot

Thank you for your input.
The USP Tactical is a wonderful gun. I´ve shot it once, and it was damn accurate, and very smooth to shot.
But like mentioned in my first post I´m considering the MK23, which I could buy for € 1.000,--

Greetings
Old February 11, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
tjhands

I own one and really the only reason I bought it was because of the price. I paid $1000 for it, shot it a few times and it just sits in my safe. It's a neat gun, but far too large to be practical for me. In .45acp, I much prefer my Glock 21 or my Springfield XD(m).

Your english is excellent! It has to be pretty cool for you to know that your little country is the home of one of the most revolutionary and successful handgun companies in the history of mankind! I think I currently own seven Glocks and this week I will be receiving a Generation One G17. It is in excellent condition and was made in 1987. Ooooo, I am excited!
Old February 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #12
TxFlyFish

For that price totally! It's a cool gun but with a specific niche, it's worth even more if you get the shiny finish one. Compared to a USP tactical everything is substantially beefed up...you should hold the recoil spring in the Mk23. I know that you mentioned that you enjoy the smoothness of the USP. The Mk23 is in comparison a sloppy gun in handling

I don't think it's used nowadays but an interesting piece to collect.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:07 PM   #13
tjhands

Quote:
...it's worth even more if you get the shiny finish one.
Oh, really? Mine is shiney. Tell me what you know about this, please.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #14
TxFlyFish

Only to HK nut jobs (guilty) there's a lot chatter of what's considered traditional finish and whether the newer ones with the matte look are actually maritime finished. Much of it is unfounded...hell the new finish is prob even tougher, but the traditional look of the Mk23 has been the shiny "maritime" finish which can fetch 5-10% more in value.

Analogy: if gen 3 glocks were ever to become a "halo" gun many years later, then folks would pay more for earlier Tenifer finish vs the newer matte finish. People would be more fond of the tenifer glocks. Just collectability, not from a durability standpoint
Old February 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #15
tjhands

Got it. Thank you.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:33 AM   #16
glock_country

@tjhands

Thank you very much for your compliment. I really enjoy reading and writing in english. It´s real challenging for me, becaue the last time I studied the english language was in school, and this is a long time ago.

In Austria we have a pretty impressive history of gunsmithing. I think there is nothing more to say about the quality of glock pistols and steyr rifles.

Congratulations to your G17 Gen1, im sure you won´t be disappointed! Before I received the G19 for duty, I carried a G17 made in 1988, with a Gen3 frame.
I´ve never seen any kind of failure with this gun, neither at my gun, nor at the guns of my colleagues.

The only thing you should consider is not to lube it to much, and perhaps a change of the recoil spring if it´s already weak.

Greetings
Old February 12, 2013, 01:11 AM   #17
reticle

Much is claimed about the Mark 23 being enormous and heavy, but the truth is that it's slide is only 12.7 mm (1/2 inch) longer than a standard size 1911. In the pic below it looks even longer because the barrel is extended to mount a suppressor. Had the 1911 been threaded, the Mark 23 would only be 12.7mm longer over all. Not only that, but the Mark 23 is lighter than the 1911 and the SIG 220.

I superimposed the 1911 over my Mark 23 for illustration.

Now the trigger guard is huge, but that is to facilitate operation with gloves better.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:37 AM   #18
MLeake

That's great, reticle, but now show the relative grip circumferences and dimensions, and trigger reaches.

(Edit: Most of the complaints I've heard have not been about length, but about grip size being too large for many users.)
Old February 12, 2013, 08:02 AM   #19
glock_country

@reticle

Thank you for the comparison, but I never held a 1911 in my hands.
I know it´s a shame....
Old February 12, 2013, 11:22 AM   #20
reticle

To compare a single stack to a staggered stack circumference would be misleading. I did measure the difference between a standard USP and the Mark 23 and there was an 1/8 inch difference. Almost unnoticeable in my hands. Certainly not enough to warrant the kind of criticism read the internet. The trigger will never be as forgiving as the 1911. It wasn't designed that way. It is a military grade trigger with match precision. With proper training and technique one can do very well with it though. See pic below. Anyway, it's not a gun for everyone for various reasons. I understand that. I don't think there is any gun that serves everyone equally. I just think we need to keep internet criticism a bit more honest. Hyperbole about the Mark 23 being a crew served weapon etc., while humorous, can be a surprising distortion when one actually handles one in real life.

This is 10 rounds at 30'. One round fired every 2 seconds-ish. As equipped in the photo.

Old February 12, 2013, 11:40 AM   #21
PSP

Quote:
I did measure the difference between a standard USP and the Mark 23 and there was an 1/8 inch difference.
I see that even with the larger grip you still saw fit to add a grip sleeve. I have one on my USP as well and can say it makes for a full, hand filling grip, but I only have a medium sized hand. I too grew tired of the ignorant comments and comparisons of the MK23 made to other guns, especially the weight. Mostly nonsense.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #22
reticle

Yeah the internet can sometimes be like a bunch of gossips gathered around a campfire yammerng on with authority about stuff with which they have no personal experience. Sure the Mark 23 wasn't likely as big a hit with certain US govt. assets. Who cares? I think anyone that buys a piece of equipment because that's what the covert ops guys use has more present problems than grip size or trigger pull; same goes for folks who accuse another of being that sort without actual knowlege.

I put the grip sleeve on because my palms are big (not hairy though ) and I like the swell the Hogue provides. Heaven help anyone that needs to remove it though. hehe.

I think the OP will enjoy the Mark 23 if he gets it. Most folks who get it, do.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:22 PM   #23
glock_country

Sure. I would have a lot of fun with the MK23. But today I´ve spoken with a good friend of mine, who owns a gun shop. He would sell me an new HK USP 45 for about the same price like the used MK23.

I nearly think, that this would be the better choice.
What are YOU thinking? AFAIK the USP45 is more common in the USA, than here in Europe. So I hobe, that you can give me advice!!
Old February 12, 2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
He would sell me an new HK USP 45 for about the same price like the used MK23.
Hk USP 45 is one of my favorite 45's. But for the same price as the Mk23? I say no...That's a little steep on the price. Tell him to knock it off and give you an actual price on that.

He can do better than that.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:25 PM   #25
glock_country

He would sell it for € 930,--.
The MK 23 costs € 1.000,-- (used).