The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 30, 2006, 07:38 PM   #26
youp

Yeah, I wear it. Too many trigger happy nuts in the woods. There are conditions where deer will see orange. It seems to be when there is no snow and a bright sun.
Old March 31, 2006, 04:31 PM   #27
Death from Afar

This is turning into a good thread. WHat about the oranage with birds?
Old March 31, 2006, 05:21 PM   #28
jamaica

Required

In Utah it is required for most hunting. Bow hunting excepted.

It is a good thing, especially on public ground.

I don't think it hinders one's chances of bagging game one bit.

I think it helps to prevent acidental shootings.

Deer pick up on motion immediately, but don't seem to be alerted by the color.
Old March 31, 2006, 08:01 PM   #29
Mannlicher

Blaze orange, or some other High Viz color is a good idea when hunting public land. Its required by law for one thing, and it does mark you as a hunter, not a game animal.
I mostly hunt private land, and don't wear the stuff.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 31, 2006, 09:02 PM   #30
riverrat66

Quote:
What about the orange with birds?
Well for turkey you wear camo and for ducks and goose you usually hunt from a blind because you don't want to be seen. Grouse usually wait until the last minute to flush and for pheasant I hunted with a dog so the hunter orange does not make one bit of difference in my opinion.
Old April 1, 2006, 06:45 PM   #31
jiminthecorner

Blaze Orange Its Law up here in CANADA

Blaze orange must be worn when deer/moose hunting with firearms and bows during big game season. waterfowl/turkeys and bows only seasons are allowed camo, JITC
Old April 1, 2006, 11:54 PM   #32
guntotin_fool

Depends on the season. For deer hunting in Mn you have to wear it, lots of it. I wear a blaze camo pair of bibs and a jacket of the same. The black stripping does break up your silhoette and I have never had deer eyeball me unless I move or a puff of wind gives me away. i would not hunt deer without it even if not required.

Shooting birds up land they added a oranger requirement a few yars ago and that has some ups and downs. i would prefer to be able to buy the basic tan vest and wear a orange hat and shirt under so that i can use that same vest for ducks but now i have to have two vests.

shooting turkey i usually just tack up some orange felt ove the tree i lean against.
Old April 2, 2006, 06:47 PM   #33
sparkysteve

In Michigan a minimum of an orange hat is required when hunting with a gun or bow hunting during gun season. I think it's smart. On our private land I wear just a hat, and a hat and vest on public land. Most animals are color blind anyway. I like the orange/camo. It helps break up your outline better than just orange.

Dont tread on me.
Old April 21, 2006, 01:57 PM   #34
DobermansDoItGoofy

My neat muskrat hat and sheepskin coat...

I have a neat muskrat hat and a soft warm sheepskin coat...but alas I have had to put them aside for 'blaze orange'. I hate 'blaze orange'...but I know there is someone out there who uses his rifle scope as a set of binoculars and keeps his fingers itchy on the trigger...and just might not give my beautiful muskrat hat and my sheep skin coat...the proper fashion review...it deserves...but aargh I hate blaze orange.
Old April 21, 2006, 03:05 PM   #35
DWARREN123

Can not hurt to wear it.
Old April 21, 2006, 04:10 PM   #36
Twycross

I generally don't like orange. But if I'm in a situation where I'm with other hunters, and we don't always know where we all are exactly (a deer drive, for example), I'll wear it.
Old April 21, 2006, 04:35 PM   #37
Fremmer

Better to wear it and be safe. There are lots of idiots out there. Drunk, stupid, and/or tresspassing.

Last edited by Fremmer; April 24, 2006 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammmmmar
Old April 23, 2006, 03:42 PM   #38
Death from Afar

Yes, having worn it over the weekend I am sold on it. When I was a younger guy, hunting meant "cam Fest" but now, with the wisdom of age...
Old April 23, 2006, 08:00 PM   #39
Double Naught Spy

Blaze orange is a good idea, but still 40-50% of folks shot (injured or killed) in the mid 1990s were wearing the proper blaze orange gear.
Old April 23, 2006, 10:13 PM   #40
riverrat66

Double Naught Spy,

That's not entirely true, at least not in New York State. This is a quote from post #22 in this thread.
Quote:
Wearing Hunter Orange Saves Lives! From 1994 through 2003 four out of five deer hunters wore hunter orange. Not even one who wore hunter orange was mistaken for game and killed. But fifteen hunters who did not wear orange were killed when mistaken for game.
You can read it for yourself right here: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...iflyer2002.pdf

Nationwide more people are killed by deer-car collisions then by hunting related shooting incidents.
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old April 24, 2006, 09:01 PM   #41
armedandsafe

I make my own orange camo gear. Last year, I sat under a tree and watched a sleeping deer for awhile. When he got up, he browsed a little and wandered off. He looked at me a couple of times but didn't see me. In addition to the blaze vest, I had a blaze hat, blaze chaps and sun glasses. (If they see your eyes, they are gone.)

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 24, 2006, 09:41 PM   #42
DobermansDoItGoofy

Cammo & Blaze orange?

It's weird when you think about it ie. a person buys a cammo-stocked rifle and cammo pants and jacket and cammo boots - and then steps into a blaze orange jumpsuit to go hunting! It's sorta like a pretty woman with really ugly teeth or a big plate of hot buttered pancakes smothered in Diet Maple Syrup. It's sorta contradictory? Oh well, I guess I'll keep wearin my blaze orange vest over my cammo...and try to figure this out at some future date. It could be worse ie. by law guns might be required to have blaze orange synthetic stocks...
Old April 25, 2006, 09:12 AM   #43
riverrat66

Not so weird.

Quote:
It's weird when you think about it ie. a person buys a camo-stocked rifle and camo pants and jacket and camo boots - and then steps into a blaze orange jumpsuit to go hunting!
Let me try to help you figure it out. I use my "camo" hunting clothing for turkey hunting and that same "camo" clothing for deer hunting but with a "blaze orange" vest and hat. Sort of a dual purpose thing, can you dig it?
Old April 27, 2006, 02:27 PM   #44
Arizona Fusilier

I have always been big on camo; not that I would testify it has a lot to do with filling my game bag . Blaze orange is not required here in Arizona. Here it is relatively wide-open. Even in the trees (it's not all desert, gang) the underbrush is absolutely nothing compared to back East. Bottomline, I 've never felt I was taking a big risk wearing camo.

On the other hand, I do lot of hunting on the border. I do not want to take this topic of track, but the border is, shall we say, interesting? If I'm walking about in the desert, pulling up on a ridge to glass, or whatever, I'm pretty obvious to other hunters. But sometimes, I reserve the right to hunker down behind a bush and remain deliberately unseen to those who are not hunting, since it might be more conducive to my health not to be seen (Coyotes, drug smugglers, banditos, whatever).

But in the last year I've gotten a bird dog, and have been training up for bird hunting. While I haven't actually gone bird hunting yet, the training and AKC hunt tests have given me a different perspective on blaze orange. For bird hunting, in which the quarry is lying still and trying to avoid you, regardless of whether he knows you are there or not, orange makes sense. Unlike deer hunting, all your buddies are within 30 feet or so, there's dogs running around and jumping into view, and you are actively swinging a gun across your field of view tracking something at close range. I think that flash of orange that enters your peripheral vision at the last moment as you swing that shotgun could mean the difference between pulling a Dick Cheney or not. So in the last year, I have added a modest amount of blaze orange to my hunting wardrobe.

Hope that all makes sense.
Old April 27, 2006, 08:21 PM   #45
Rangefinder

It was always required in Montana when I was growing up. All they said was 400 square min. inches visible. HOW you wore it was up to you. So to split the middle the last few years I was there I tied marker ribbon into my tree-tucks---best of both worlds. Broken profile and a whole mess of blaze orange visible from all angles. Fish and Game didn't seem to mind, though I haven't done it for a few years since living in Utah. Might want to check before trying that one. Over-all, I'd say blaze is a good idea where bullets and the possibility of "sound hunters" are concerned. I've only been shot at once because I was blatently visible (that's another story entirely), but I've had a few uncomfortable close-encounters because of people shooting at sound rather than sight. The easier I am to see, the less likely I am to get picked off by an idiot----I HOPE.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 29, 2006, 03:39 PM   #46
Magnus

It seems to come down to minimizing the risk when deciding whether or not to wear blaze orange. Deer and moose both have a far more keen eyesight than man, especially during the low light hours of dusk, when our eyesight is at it's worst. When weighing the two factors, I'd rather run the risk of being ocasionally spotted by the game than being shot by some eager/inexperienced hunter.

Does anyone have experience of the sucess rate of hunting deer while wearing a marine snipers outfit vs. a camo pattern blaze orange vest and hat?

A theory: Deer view the world differently than us. With their much larger eyes Deer can pick up on ultraviolet rays a 100 more times acurate than the human eye. Something that can be found in many of the pigments in dyes used on clothing. Wouldn't it be something if we lay there in our full camo outfit, and we look like a white shirt under a disco light to the deer?

I do believe, however, that a broken pattern would work better than a solid color since it breaks up our outline against the background. My choice will be blaze orange camo pattern with UV blocker this season. And then as I gain more experience with hunting, stalking, learning the hunting area and the habits of the game I believe my success rate will increase. My biggest fear is human error/inexperience.

Magnus
Old April 29, 2006, 05:11 PM   #47
Arizona Fusilier

I greatly suspect the most sucessfull hunters on North America probably wear neither camo nor blaze orange. They probably go out in a plaid MacIntosh and blue jeans, bag their annual buck, and wonder what all the fuss about what everbody else is wearing is all about.

By the way, that description is not me.
Old April 29, 2006, 07:13 PM   #48
Pointer

Blaze Orange- A good thing?

No, it is not...

Imagine you are a deer...
You are effectively color blind...
You can see some color but to a very small degree...

Your eyes are best suited to night vision...

A blaize orange vest is "SHAPED" like nothing else in the woods...
To you it looks mostly light-grey and, in direct sunlight, it looks almost white...
AND it MOVES!!!

Since your eyes are mostly "keyed" to shapes and movement...

Camo would hide both, and blaize orange would get your attention... even if it is very still and motionless... it is out of place in the woods.

Isn't it ironic that in many states... blaize orange WITH black camo marks is outlawed??

And in many states the minimum number of square inches of orange required... (Usually more than 400 square inches) is too great to allow black camo marks without falling short of the minimum legal amount of orange??

All advantage to the "antis" who run the various bureaus that sponsor and push through such "law".

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 29, 2006, 07:30 PM   #49
Rangefinder

Magnus

I assume you're referring to a guille suit? Yup, I took a young buck (young=stupid) so close in mine that he had powder burns from the muzzle blast of my .32 winchester. Granted I never PLANNED he'd walk up and start grazing next to me, and I really wasn't trying to sneak that close, I doubt it would have happened if I'd been sitting there in a standard patterned orange.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 29, 2006, 09:22 PM   #50
riverrat66

Color Does Not Matter

Quote:
Granted I never PLANNED he'd walk up and start grazing next to me, and I really wasn't trying to sneak that close, I doubt it would have happened if I'd been sitting there in a standard patterned orange.
I was wearing an bright RED Jacket (no blaze orange back in those days) when the first deer I ever shot came up from behind me so close I had to step aside as he brushed me as he ran by! This is the absolute truth. He was so close I that I almost hit him with the barrel of my shotgun as I aimed to shoot him. He was a perfect 8 point buck and I shot him as he ran away from me at a distance of four feet. I hit him behind the right ear and he flipped head over heals. After he died I could not find the entrance wound until I looked closer and saw it behind his ear. I made such a quick shot at such short distance at this deer running directly away from me I almost shot over his head, in fact I almost shot off one of his perfect antlers. My hunting buddies joked that I shot the deer in self defense.

But my point is, he never saw me in my bright RED jacket and he ran right up to me in fact brushing along side me as he ran by! He made so much noise coming through the brush I thought it was another hunter coming and I just happened to turn my head as he came upon me other wise I may not have seen him at that last split second and not been able to react and lean aside as he passed by.

I don't think that color makes one bit of difference to a deer. It helps if you can break up your silhouette, limit your movement and eliminate you scent.